Weight Loss Thread

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I lifted for the first time since surgery yesterday, and it's amazing how sore I am today. Feels good man.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
i have restarted my goal to get down to 170ish.
2ish weeks ago i was at 185. I've started doing a little cardio, a bit of body exercises via the wiiu(wiifitu and your shape fitness evolved) and some weights to work with.
got a 40lb dumbell set and a bench in the basement.

i hit 181 yesterday- which is good beginning progress, i just have to keep doing it, i start, do a few weeks, then stop.. have noticed definition forming for my upper chest and arms. hell for the first time- in like 30 years i can "flex" my pectoral muscles...

what i am trying to do is a light weight workout in the morning ~10-15 minutes of weights-almost every morning. I do 2 reps of 15 each for overhead press, butterfly on inclined bench, bench press on inclined bench & standing hammer curl, concentration curl and umm row? i am using- for all the exercises right now 15lbs a hand, figure in a week i'll boost it to 20lbs a hand for 2-3weeks then boost to 25lb a hand (gonna have to buy a few weight plates for that). at night 3x a week i try to do 30 minutes of yoga/stretching/body weight/ light cardio- work up a light sweat, enough so i know i did it, feeling good

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
Well I'm definitely deep into ketosis - strips showed dark pink, foggy head killing me at work, and now my breathe smells like anus.

Thanks keto!
Increase your salt intake and use tylenol / caffeine. It will pass.

The breath will linger with you for a few months. That smell comes from excess ketones in your blood. When your body adapts to the new way of eating that will go away.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Any advice on how to eat? Like... I can only eat so many fucking avocados and olive oil and shit. There aren't a lot of natural, healthy fatty foods.

It's a struggle to keep my protein below my fats.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Any advice on how to eat? Like... I can only eat so many fucking avocados and olive oil and shit. There aren't a lot of natural, healthy fatty foods.

Nuts?

Khane

Got something right about marriage
You don't need to keep protein below fats to get and stay in ketosis. What's the goal exactly? Just ketosis?

Nuts are a great, healthy source of fat. Treat yourself to fatty cuts of meat like pork shoulder ribs and chuck roasts or ribeyes if you can afford it (it can get pricey) three or four times a week. I can't remember if you said you hate fish or not but fatty fish is great too if you like it. You can always go to the Atkins website and look at the first two phases to get an idea of how much of what foods you can/should be eating to get into and stay in ketosis.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
I want to get my bf% down to a good number. Body fat loss is the goal, pure and simple.

Not sure there's an alternative that's as effective as keto.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
You don't need to even get to a 50/50 split of fat/protein (outside of your intake of carbs) to get into Keto. Keeping your carbs down is the primary focus. Keep it under 20g carbs a day (unless you are exercising) and start at like 65/45 protein/fat split to start. That should work fine.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Any advice on how to eat?

As I've said before..I eat 3-4g protein per kg and still stay in ketosis according to the sticks. The only fat I eat comes from the cuts of meat I eat and the oils I cook with. This is a typical day for me:

Bacon
Scrambled Egg
500g turkey breast mince cooked with half an onion and 1 container of passata sauce
230g sea bass fillets with ginger and lime butter

2050 calories, 30g carbs, 94g fat and 270g protein

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Every keto guide says too much protein will be converted to sugar and keep me out of ketosis.

Blegh. I just want to eat vegetables lol.

ubiquitrips

Golden Knight of the Realm
Man I just think this shit isn't for me. Too much fucking dairy and bullshit fatty food. Even nuts have a large amount of carbs in them. 9gfat/5gcarbs in cashews.
Cashews are a bad example for carbs in nuts. Almonds, pecans, and sunflower seeds are the staple nuts that I usually eat. They are much lower in effective carbs.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Every keto guide says too much protein will be converted to sugar and keep me out of ketosis.

Blegh. I just want to eat vegetables lol.
Yeah I am aware of that, but define too much or find somewhere that does. All I can tell you is that the keto sticks register positive for me despite the amount of protein I eat. I can also tell you I cut just fine from 80kg and 23% body fat to 74kg and 9.9% eating the amounts of protein that I do and low carbing.

Clearly when you cut carbs out of your diet then you have to increase protein or fats in response. Increasing fat (which tastes nice) is great for fatties that want to lose weight because the traditional keto or atkins diet is the polar opposite of weightwatchers/calorie counting crap that failed fatties probably tried in the past, hence why they find success with it. But tell me what advantages does increasing fat have to someone who lifts weights regularly and wants to get ripped? My understanding is that protein and carbs have more anabolic properties than fat, so jack that protein up!

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Cashews are a bad example for carbs in nuts. Almonds, pecans, and sunflower seeds are the staple nuts that I usually eat. They are much lower in effective carbs.
Yeah, but Ienjoycashews as opposed to those other shit nuts.

And Ossoi, most keto guides say to stay between .8 and 1.2g of protein per pound. And they mean lean mass when they say pound.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
It really sounds like you just shouldn't be doing keto. It clearly doesn't fit your lifestyle and it is not necessary to reach your body fat goal.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
It really sounds like you just shouldn't be doing keto. It clearly doesn't fit your lifestyle and it is not necessary to reach your body fat goal.
The conclusion I've come to as well.

Although the aggressive weight loss you see on it is very desirable. I think I'd be better off just "clean eating" and managing my caloric intake.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Yeah, but Ienjoycashews as opposed to those other shit nuts.

And Ossoi, most keto guides say to stay between .8 and 1.2g of protein per pound. And they mean lean mass when they say pound.
Yeah and I'm sure that's fine for people that just want to lose weight. I presume you lift weights and would therefore like to preserve your muscle mass or even increase it whilst dieting. Jack that protein up.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah and I'm sure that's fine for people that just want to lose weight. I presume you lift weights and would therefore like to preserve your muscle mass or even increase it whilst dieting. Jack that protein up.
Indeed, 5x5 three times a week as well as a men's basketball league.