Weight Loss Thread

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Actually, an easier method would be to cook a bunch when you have some free time, then cool it and store it in the fridge. Reheat as needed, and it'll last 4-5 days easy at a time. You can even freeze it and then add it in later, as brown rice is super robust and will survive the freeze/thaw process basically unscathed in most cases. And it takes -way- less time to toss some loose frozen brown rice in a bowl and then reheat for 2 minutes in a microwave than it does to cook from scratch each time you want it.

That said, I really do not like the flavor of brown rice and I rarely use it. I don't care how healthy it is, it has a very cardboard flavor to it and I am not a fan =|

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Actually, for anyone who cooks their rice in bulk and also weighs their food - how do you go about measuring the rice once cooked? Or do you just not give a fuck and figure it'll all even out in the end?

I'm about to start cooking it in bulk. I wish I could do the same with oats.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Well, when you look at nutrition facts, they generally have a cooked and uncooked number. A cup of cooked rice is like 1/2 a cup uncooked in most cases. I'll cook mine, freeze it, and then use a measuring cup when I pull it out of the freezer. The trick is keeping your rice fluffy so that it isn't a block when you freeze it. Use a spatula towards the end and keep turning it so the grains are separated, and when you freeze them do it as loosely as possible. I'll use a 8x11 ziplock and apply zero pressure to the rice putting it in, and leave it flat. That way I can easily break off portions that I want without needing to chisel through a block of ice-rice. Admittedly, I'm -rarely- time constrained to the point where I can't toss a cup of rice into a pot with 2 cups of water and put it on low heat for 20 minutes while I do other shit. But when I do need to freeze stuff after doing the bulk thing, I use my above method. It just makes it so much easier.

Honestly, if you aren't microwaving your oats I don't know what to say. 1 cup of razor cut oats with 2 cups of water in a bowl, microwave two minutes. Let set for one. Season to taste. You can season before cooking but after setting for a minute it won't really matter.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
I cook both my rice and oats in pots.

I think I could just throw 3 cups of rice in the pot and then just put 6 portions in tupperware for my lunch.

And the problem with the dry/cooked measurements is it's very dependent on how much water is absorbed. I personally like my rice very fluffy, so a 1/4 of a dry cup cooks more than a cup, etc.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
This is why you go by weight instead of volume. But in reality who gives a shit down to that micro level of measuring. "I ate about a cup of cooked rice." is close enough for counting. Its not like were formulating scientific formulas here. +/- 20-30 calories is not enough to go all fucknutty about.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
If you don't have a value for the cooked portion of the rice (or any food) but you do of the uncooked portion, you can keep track of the total weight of the cooked item and weigh each portion you take out. That percentage is how much you take from the uncooked food calorie count. Not worth the effort to me but I know some people like to be really precise.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
This is why you go by weight instead of volume. But in reality who gives a shit down to that micro level of measuring. "I ate about a cup of cooked rice." is close enough for counting. Its not like were formulating scientific formulas here. +/- 20-30 calories is not enough to go all fucknutty about.
This is how people end up believing in the dumbest shit (impossible to lose weight!). It's not just 30 calories; it'll be some margin of error compounded repeatedly throughout the day and likely underestimating. Plus, most people can't eyeball portions for shit. If you asked 10 people to measure you out a cup of something you'd be astounded at the variance;even with measuring cups.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
<Trapped in Randomonia>
That's because "a cup" is probably the most retarded unit of measurement around

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
This is how people end up believing in the dumbest shit (impossible to lose weight!). It's not just 30 calories; it'll be some margin of error compounded repeatedly throughout the day and likely underestimating. Plus, most people can't eyeball portions for shit. If you asked 10 people to measure you out a cup of something you'd be astounded at the variance;even with measuring cups.
Like I said, it should all be done by weight. But sadly its not. I look shit up on fitness pal all the time and most of the shit is measured by volume, which is fucking stupid. That being said, yes it compounds, but if you are tracking and are within 30-50 calories, youre doing ok and better than 90% of people which "diet".

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
Like I said, it should all be done by weight. But sadly its not. I look shit up on fitness pal all the time and most of the shit is measured by volume, which is fucking stupid. That being said, yes it compounds, but if you are tracking and are within 30-50 calories, youre doing ok and better than 90% of people which "diet".
Do you try to stay under your calorie count for the day, or do you allow yourself more as your app calculates exercise? When I walk 18 holes of golf it says I can eat another 700ish calories, sometimes I walk 36 in a day and it's crazy to me that it thinks I can eat 3500 calories that day. Given I am lifting too, and it doesn't account for that, nor the actual golfing going on around the walking.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
<Trapped in Randomonia>
submitting my after pics to the Reddit 90 day body transformation challenge on Sunday. Didn't really put much thought into it and took my "before" picture in the brightest room in my apartment, I'm a lot leaner now but the camera can't pick up any definition - the contrast between the good lighting in the gym is ridiculous. Anyway, I've carb depleted for 2 days and water loaded too, gonna carb up for the next 2 days and cut water from 6pm saturday, hopefully that will give me an edge!

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
If the 3500 calories is coming from calculating walking, well, that's already off since you do plenty of standing around on a golf course. If the 3500 calories is from them calculating golfing, then I'd really have to wonder how they got that information. It's a lot easier to get a fairly precise estimate for calories burned for walking at a certain pace at a certain weight (though that still leaves out plenty of information leaving room for a lot of variance), but something like golf has so much more variation from person to person.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I've never bothered trying to calculate calories burned from exercise. It seems hard-to-impossible to accurately figure it out. I just stay a couple hundred calories under my estimated TDEE each day, and assume any extra exercise will be icing on the calorie-deficit cake.

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
Myfitnesspal calculates the steps you take during the day and adds calories for them. That's all I'm saying.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I don't know where I heard this, and it might be way off but I think it's pretty close since I am an avid golfer.

A normal 18 hole round of golf where you walk all 18 will burn between 1200 and 1500 calories for "normal" sized men.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
Never played golf in my life, but does walking 18 holes sound equal to running 8 miles at 7.5min/mile pace (1375 calories)?

edit: looks like you walk about 6 miles in 18 holes.