Weight Loss Thread

Khane

Got something right about marriage
"All I ate was four packs of bacon a day and I still gain weight!? Barely any carbs!"
Bisi bro, low carb diets work. And they work really well when done properly. Don't knock it dog.

The Atkins Diet is a very sound way of eating healthily.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Bisi bro, low carb diets work. And they work really well when done properly. Don't knock it dog.

Didn't the inventor of Atkins drop dead from issues related to Atkins diet?

Khane

Didn't the inventor of Atkins drop dead from issues related to Atkins diet?
Another myth surrounding Atkins. No he did not, he died of brain trauma due to a slip and fall accident on an icy day.

He did have a heart attack the year before but keep in mind people don't always practice what they preach, and if you've ever read up on the Atkins diet you'd be hard pressed to find anything wrong with it.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Low carb works fine, and I advocate it. I'm probably going to need to adhere to it more thoroughly going forward to keep seeing improvement.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Nobody is debating you can lose weight by eating low carb. But eating low carb is not necessary to lose weight.

And if you want to build muscle then including carbs is optimal over excluding them.

Can we not let Himeos interruptions make us f rehash the same discussions we've already had

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
It still comes down, which they even admit on the atkins site, that weight loss comes directly from calories in vs. calories out. And one of the things they tend to reference is the low fat/low protein part of the calorie restricted diets that they claim are worse than Atkins. I don't think any diet on earth ever said to get the majority of your calories each day from sugar, so yes, if you eat a high carb, low fat/low protein diet, you're going to feel hungry because you are consuming sugar primarily. This is difficult to maintain and also clearly unhealthy.

Atkins isn't a bad way to go about things, but it is still trying not to focus on calories, which gets into pseudoscience range because the science directly states that calories in need to be less than calories out to lose weight. It's just a decent way for sedentary people to avoid drinking sodas and eating a loaf of white bread each day and lose weight, and I totally agree. But a more balanced approach is going to be easier to stick with by far, in my opinion. Not a "high carb" diet that they keep comparing things to, but not a no/low carb diet either.

After having read that website, I had to go read some unbiased crap to get actual answers. The only diet they compare atkins to on the website is the mythical "high carb" diet that they think people are doing. I'd be much more interested in seeing some baseline studies comparing low carb vs. balanced. And they did! And there was no difference apparently.Effects of 4 weight-loss diets differing in fat, protein, and carbohydrate on fat mass, lean mass, visceral adipose tissue, and hepatic fat: result... - PubMed - NCBIandEffect of diet composition and weight loss on resting energy expenditure in the POUNDS LOST studyspecifically states that all benefits that might show up were basically gone after a year from choosing one type of dieting scheme over another.

In summation, it doesn't matter what fad diet you try, as long as you stick with it. You'll lose weight if you consume less total calories than you expend each day, regardless of the means. Atkins isn't bad, but it also isn't really better than anything else that has you eating a balanced amount of macronutrients and keeps your calories under your outgoing usage. Drinking all your calories each day from sodas would be retarded and anybody doing it and "counting calories" is a retard. Or a Body Positive Advocate.

Khane

It still comes down, which they even admit on the atkins site, that weight loss comes directly from calories in vs. calories out. And one of the things they tend to reference is the low fat/low protein part of the calorie restricted diets that they claim are worse than Atkins. I don't think any diet on earth ever said to get the majority of your calories each day from sugar, so yes, if you eat a high carb, low fat/low protein diet, you're going to feel hungry because you are consuming sugar primarily. This is difficult to maintain and also clearly unhealthy.

Atkins isn't a bad way to go about things, but it is still trying not to focus on calories, which gets into pseudoscience range because the science directly states that calories in need to be less than calories out to lose weight. It's just a decent way for sedentary people to avoid drinking sodas and eating a loaf of white bread each day and lose weight, and I totally agree. But a more balanced approach is going to be easier to stick with by far, in my opinion. Not a "high carb" diet that they keep comparing things to, but not a no/low carb diet either.

After having read that website, I had to go read some unbiased crap to get actual answers. The only diet they compare atkins to on the website is the mythical "high carb" diet that they think people are doing. I'd be much more interested in seeing some baseline studies comparing low carb vs. balanced. And they did! And there was no difference apparently.Effects of 4 weight-loss diets differing in fat, protein, and carbohydrate on fat mass, lean mass, visceral adipose tissue, and hepatic fat: result... - PubMed - NCBIandEffect of diet composition and weight loss on resting energy expenditure in the POUNDS LOST studyspecifically states that all benefits that might show up were basically gone after a year from choosing one type of dieting scheme over another.

In summation, it doesn't matter what fad diet you try, as long as you stick with it. You'll lose weight if you consume less total calories than you expend each day, regardless of the means. Atkins isn't bad, but it also isn't really better than anything else that has you eating a balanced amount of macronutrients and keeps your calories under your outgoing usage. Drinking all your calories each day from sodas would be retarded and anybody doing it and "counting calories" is a retard. Or a Body Positive Advocate.
Atkins is balanced. They do an awful job marketing it ever since the man behind it died. They make it seem like bacon and mayonnaise is great! That's not at all what the book says or what his approach was.

He said not to worry about calories not because calories aren't important, but because he was so confident in the scientific evidence he had seen through his own experimentation that a low carb diet will sate hunger so well that people just won't overeat because they won't be hungry. And he thought that telling his clients to not count calories was reassuring and easier to digest (heh) since they were chronically obese people who had always failed at traditional calorie counting dieting.

Atkins is not a fad. It's a legitimate approach to a healthy lifestyle created by a medical doctor. It's been bastardized by the marketing team a bit but bastardized far more by opponents who pretend it's something it's not and even worse, by people who it's worked for who didn't even do it correctly which is a marvel in itself.

You read the campaigning portion of the website obviously, which is... regrettable in my opinion. As someone who worked for Atkins Nutritionals, knew the man personally, and lost 100 lbs in 10 months on the Atkins Diet I am clearly biased but it's a shame so many people still wave it off as crack pot when if you go to the phase 4 section of the website and look at the recommended food lists you'll see that it's sound. Really what the diet is about is cutting out sugar initially to get into ketosis and then when you've weened yourself off of those insulin shock cravings re-introducing healthy carbs like fruits, whole grains, etc. Atkins is not about eliminating carbs. It's about eliminating processed, terrible shit carbs that are 95% of the typical obese person's diet but it's inviting to those same obese people because you can still eat steak without feeling guilty.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>

It's one of hundreds of sound ways of eating healthily.

He said not to worry about calories not because calories aren't important
kek

Agraza

Registered Hutt
I walked eighteen miles in the Florida sun a few months ago when my friend's car ran out of gas. I got a nasty sunburn that peeled for two weeks, and my left hip was sore for the last five miles.

I hope this wasn't that.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
Because denying yourself the wonders of carbs is retarded.
I'm okay with people with chronic food addiction just admitting to themselves that they can't handle it. Similiarly, I'm okay with alcoholics abstaining completely. But some of the anti-carb crowd act like swearing off an entire macro group is a healthy choicefor everyoneand that's patently false.