Weight Loss Thread

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah how tall Celeb? Great result. 185 @ < 10% BF is my goal weight at 5'11. I'm 185 now but I think I'll end up being 178-180 ish when i get leaned out.

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
The biggest thing about a keto diet is not the way the math works out on energy consumption, but the idea that by eating mostly fat/protein you satiate yourself much faster than with carbs, you stop developing cravings for sweets/breads/pasta after a week or two (usually), and end up over the long run being able to eat well within your calorie limit while not craving carbs/sweets (blood sugar spikes).
Good post Spronk especially this part. I find it much easier to eat within calorie limits when eating Keto or at least relatively low carb.

After reading Squigs comments I'm back to skipping breakfast too. Big lunch and decent sized dinner. I find I'm not even crazy hungry at dinner if I eat a good amount of protein and fat for lunch.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
This has been my reasoning as well. The way I see it you've got two ways to deal with pizza/junk food cravings when trying to live a healthy lifestyle:

1) Avoid the foods altogether and just try to overcome them via pure willpower. This is obviously idea if you're on a strick diet like Paleo or Keto.
2) Work the pizza/junk food into your healthy diet. This is how I've always done it and it helped keep me sane. Of course, it requires that you manage to limit yourself to a small amount rather than gorging on an entire pizza.

Ultimately it depends on the person and how much willpower you have and how strict of a diet you're trying to adhere to.

Celebrindal

Golden Squire
Yeah how tall Celeb? Great result. 185 @ < 10% BF is my goal weight at 5'11. I'm 185 now but I think I'll end up being 178-180 ish when i get leaned out.
I'm 6'1". Posting in my phone but my workout is mostly kettlebells pushups situps pullups and jumping rope

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
if you are on a low carb diet, you are physiologically changing the way your body fuels itself. Eating minimal carbs for a few days (20-30g) while eating lots of fat and protein causes your liver to start producing ketones which burn fat to fuel the body. When you eat a normal amount of carbs (100g+/day) your body creates insulin to convert the carbs to glucose, also known as an insulin reaction. No matter what you eat your body is creating insulin, but on a low carb diet with ketone production the insulin level is very low and steady and your body is mostly using fat for fuel, whereas with a regular carb diet you have insulin spikes (blood sugar levels is another term) related to food intake.

I should say in both cases the protein you eat is used for maintaining (or building) muscle mass, with carbs (glucose) or fat (ketones) used for other energy requirements, which is why as you approach more optimal body weight levels (or stalling on weight loss) it becomes important to figure out exactly the macronutrient levels you need to lose or maintain weight - X amount of calories used at Y weight (BMR), and a percentage mix (usually around 60/35/5 of fat/protein/carbs) to support that. There are online calculators likehttp://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/that let you calculate the exact macros for your weight, height, etc.

So thats why those who are obese and on a low carb (keto, atkins, lchf) diet shouldn't eat a slice of pizza, the amount of carbs would "kick" you out of keto by producing a lot of insulin to convert the carbs and stopping the production of ketones until the insulin reaction has subsided. You can re-enter ketosis within a few hours or a day or two of eating a lot of carbs, but you have halted your progress until that process is complete.

The biggest thing about a keto diet is not the way the math works out on energy consumption, but the idea that by eating mostly fat/protein you satiate yourself much faster than with carbs, you stop developing cravings for sweets/breads/pasta after a week or two (usually), and end up over the long run being able to eat well within your calorie limit while not craving carbs/sweets (blood sugar spikes).
Yeah, sure, if you're on a low carb diet, don't eat the pizza. Otherwise, I think pizza is fine. As McCheese said, just budget the portion appropriately. Apparently, Himeo has a hooker murdering problem.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I'm literally frothing at the mouth waiting in anticipation for your continued results every 3 hours

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
it's a weight loss thread and it's weekly. Deal with it
1369343685638.gif

In all seriousness, I personally don't mind you posting updates. I'm the one who originally asked about the progress people were making.

Do you have an end goal in mind in terms of weight or body fat percentage, or perhaps some physical activity you want to be able to do?

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This is about to sound gay as fuck, but here goes.

For pizza we do it a different way. We buy these oat bran & wheat wraps by a company called Josephs (not sure if local). Stack two on top of eachother and cook at 425 for 5 minutes. Pull them out, put on sauce and cheese (and whatever else) and cook for another 7 minutes. It's not the same as regular pizza, but it's like 5% of the carbs and one usually fills me up.

Otherwise sack up. It's just pizza dude. Every positive choice you make is a step towards your goal.

I've cut down to only diet soda once a day now, cut out all sugars (mostly), and trying to stay low carb. Lost a few pounds this week. Ended up pulling a muscle in my foot, so couldn't do much cardio for a few weeks. Back on the horse. Getting married in 3 months and feel like I'll look like a fat turd still.
If you really.. want to drop a shit load of weight before your marriage go Stillman. I'm not saying it's the most healthy but dude you'll drop a ton of weight..

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
1369343685638.gif

In all seriousness, I personally don't mind you posting updates. I'm the one who originally asked about the progress people were making.

Do you have an end goal in mind in terms of weight or body fat percentage, or perhaps some physical activity you want to be able to do?
I'm only doing this for aesthetic reasons (e.g sixpack/abs and looking ripped) rather than functional reasons or with some sporting activity in mind. Obviously getting stronger is a by-product of training regularly and I've gone from not being able to do a single chin up unassisted to being able to do eight.

Not fussed about weight at this stage, the target is 10% body fat by the end of June. Once I get to 10% I guess I'll assess with my trainer where to go and what to focus on next, eg building muscle.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-revi...R2YXF0OU09CW3S

Dashel, I picked up this book a month or so ago, more to keep as a reference guide on diet/supplements than the actual program. The diet advice is basically paleo but there's a few pages in there on reintroducing carbs. Unfortunately I lent it to a friend before I could photocopy/scan any pages...might be worth checking out though

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I know. It's like someone liveblogging their sophomore year of high school. Here goes fucking CoCo LaRue posting about 15% bodyfat and squiggoth comes in and lost like 100lbs.

Night and day. Black and white. Coconut oil and heterosexuality.
My starting weight was 80kg, roughly 180lbs...Are you saying I need to drop down to 80lbs? OK I'LL GET RIGHT ON THAT BOSS