Weight Loss Thread

Sloshed

Lord Nagafen Raider
Anyone have any experience with one of those fancy scales that measures body fat % and all the other junk? I bought one and I'm down 18lbs in my first 3 weeks of eating healthy but the body fat % hasn't changed a bit. I was just curious if that measurement was ever going to be close to accurate with that scale.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Anyone have any experience with one of those fancy scales that measures body fat % and all the other junk? I bought one and I'm down 18lbs in my first 3 weeks of eating healthy but the body fat % hasn't changed a bit. I was just curious if that measurement was ever going to be close to accurate with that scale.
you're better off with a handheld one, I have a similar model to this oneOmron BF306 Body Composition Monitor: Amazon.co.uk: Health Personal Care

Yes, it may not be accurate but it is CONSISTENT. If you take the measurements each day at the same time, e.g upon waking, then it is likely to stay consistent and you can see whether your BF% is moving in the right direction or not.

But the best indicator of progress will always be a) how your clothes fit and b) what you look like in the mirror.

ubiquitrips

Golden Knight of the Realm
I have used two different BIA scales. Both were around as accurate as a self caliper test. They seem to get you 'in the range'. When I did same day testing they were within 4 - 5% of a DEXA scan, with DEXA being higher.

Interestingly enough, my newer scale (Withings WS-50) has been quite a bit more varied in the body fat % readings day over day. Whatever it has going on vs. my previous semi-generic scale seems to be influenced by muscle water retention specifically, not just overall hydration if that makes sense. Basically, the days after my workouts seem to have a lower body fat % which I associate with inflamed muscles retaining water.

With all of that said and done, I agree with Ossoi more than I did when I started losing. Clothing size has stabilized and I am just trying to look better.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Spot on. Calipers and scales mean shit. Get naked and keep working until you want to bang your reflection.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
f7FdEdG.jpg

Olscratch

tour de salt
<Banned>
Does anyone here have much experience with intermittent fasting? The research behind fasting boosting natural growth hormone seems very solid and intriguing to me. I have been reading a little of leangains.com but it seems so extreme I haven't been sold yet.

ubiquitrips

Golden Knight of the Realm
I tried IF for a couple of months late last year just to give it a shot. It was not coupled with any sort of fasted lifting program or anything like that. I mainly used it as a diet control of sorts. My window was 12p - 8p for eating. There were no serious downsides that I experienced. Some days could be tough in the morning if I worked out the previous evening. Most of the time though the body just dealt with it. The up side was the shear volume of food that I was able to enjoy in that window. Definitely was able to experience being full again while eating on a deficit. Eating out at restaurants was also significantly easier as I had more calories to work with in the later parts of the day.

In terms of weight loss, it did not seem to impact the rate of loss. Allegedly it is supposed to help with plateaus, but I don't think I had plateaued at the time so can't comment on that.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Does anyone here have much experience with intermittent fasting? The research behind fasting boosting natural growth hormone seems very solid and intriguing to me. I have been reading a little of leangains.com but it seems so extreme I haven't been sold yet.
go to reddit/com/r/leangains if you want to know more.

Fasting isn't necessary to lose weight but the leangains method of carb and calorie cycling is something I endorse.

Oh and ease yourself into the fasting if you decide to give it a try and be sensible with the size of your meals during the eating window. I once tried to get my daily intake of carbs in one big post workout meal - I was so full that I couldn't sleep, my stomach was in agony and I had the shits.

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I've always done my training first thing in the morning and have usually skipped breakfast anyway, so IF was an easy fit for me.

Olscratch

tour de salt
<Banned>
Thanks for the replies fellas. I almost always work out in the early night, between 7-9PM. It seems to be recommended to train while fasted then feed post-workout. So I'm not sure if I can make this work.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Eating at different times of the day is not fasting. That's eating at different times of the day. The benefits/negatives don't show up until you have not eaten for 24+ hours and have burned through your glycogen stores in your muscles. I'm still not sure why this is even given moderate consideration as it is complete nonsense. The -only- time you feel a difference is if you are carb-deprived. You know, Keto-kids and shit. The sane world simply thinks they are hungry. IF is a myth unless you are not eating or consuming calories for more than a full day at a time. Otherwise it is 100% mental (or 95% mental with 5% for the keto-kids who think carbohydrates are bad for them)

Also still standing by my previous statements that the body doesn't react differently regarding processed and unprocessed foods. By the way, Khane (reading comprehension check!), comparing chicken and vegetables to other foods only works if you are comparing chicken and vegetables on the other side of the equation. If you are trying to say that mcdonalds burgers and fries are less healthy than home cooked chicken and salad, yeah dude, no arguments. But you are strawmanning the shit out of my position without saying "processed chicken" and "processed vegetables", which the processing part is what we are talking about. Your point is moot and not relevant to the conversation at hand.

So yeah, still standing by the reading comprehension jab. Do people who normally eat hamburgers at home with fresh meat and homecooked buns have a physical reaction to processed meat and processed buns? Reality says no. And if you think they do, you are a retard. Fact.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Eating at different times of the day is not fasting. That's eating at different times of the day. The benefits/negatives don't show up until you have not eaten for 24+ hours and have burned through your glycogen stores in your muscles. I'm still not sure why this is even given moderate consideration as it is complete nonsense. The -only- time you feel a difference is if you are carb-deprived. You know, Keto-kids and shit. The sane world simply thinks they are hungry. IF is a myth unless you are not eating or consuming calories for more than a full day at a time. Otherwise it is 100% mental (or 95% mental with 5% for the keto-kids who think carbohydrates are bad for them)

Also still standing by my previous statements that the body doesn't react differently regarding processed and unprocessed foods. By the way, Khane (reading comprehension check!), comparing chicken and vegetables to other foods only works if you are comparing chicken and vegetables on the other side of the equation. If you are trying to say that mcdonalds burgers and fries are less healthy than home cooked chicken and salad, yeah dude, no arguments. But you are strawmanning the shit out of my position without saying "processed chicken" and "processed vegetables", which the processing part is what we are talking about. Your point is moot and not relevant to the conversation at hand.

So yeah, still standing by the reading comprehension jab. Do people who normally eat hamburgers at home with fresh meat and homecooked buns have a physical reaction to processed meat and processed buns? Reality says no. And if you think they do, you are a retard. Fact.
Welp, we can safely ignore anything Rezz says in this thread from now on. You heard him, processed foods have no effect!

Anytime you feel bloated? Mental! Anytime you're constipated? Mental! Anytime you're gassy? Mental! Anytime you feel lethargic? Mental!

Raising your own chickens and growing your own vegetables is the same as eating campbells chicken noodle soup! Eating a Big Mac is the same as eating a burger fresh off of BrutulTM's cattle ranch!

Your position is completely indefensible and the only people who would agree with you are... well let's find out. Anyone care to agree with Rezz?

Heart disease isn't a real thing. Carcinogenic links to processed foods aren't real. Diabetes is just a frame of mind! You heard it here first folks.

Forget about water. Drink soda! There's no difference!

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
Rezz you may be right regarding IF being 100 percent mental, but that doesn't discredit it in the slightest. Some people, myself included, really enjoy tucking into an enormous feast. IF as practiced by leangains is really just skipping breakfast (I think I'm quoting McCheese from a while back), but it also does reinforce the idea that just because your stomach is rumbling at 10pm you aren't getting out of bed for a snack.

Eating a normal lunch ~600 calories at noon leaves plenty of "room" for a monster dinner!

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Welp, we can safely ignore anything Rezz says in this thread from now on. You heard him, processed foods have no effect!

Anytime you feel bloated? Mental! Anytime you're constipated? Mental! Anytime you're gassy? Mental! Anytime you feel lethargic? Mental!
Pretty much this. I love frozen/processed foods (especially pizza-type products), but I also love to make homemade versions of them. I've made homemade pizza rolls, homemade pizzas, homemade hot pockets, etc. I 100% absolutely feel a difference between eating my homemade version vs. the frozen/processed versions. With the frozen/processed ones I feel like complete shit the next day, while eating the homemade version leaves me feeling perfectly fine.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
Sous vide your handmade artisanal pizza rolls, maybe then they won't burn your mouth half the time and be ice cubes the other.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Pretty much this. I love frozen/processed foods (especially pizza-type products), but I also love to make homemade versions of them. I've made homemade pizza rolls, homemade pizzas, homemade hot pockets, etc. I 100% absolutely feel a difference between eating my homemade version vs. the frozen/processed versions. With the frozen/processed ones I feel like complete shit the next day, while eating the homemade version leaves me feeling perfectly fine.
That's mental. And fine, because mental state is a huge part of, well, everything. But don't think for a second that the difference is because your body is rejecting the processed foods.

Eidal - Spacing out meals works, and it is a huge mental help. Never said anything against it, except that it isn't "fasting" in any way/shape/form. It's just eating at different times of day, which for some people is a huge boost in their ability to lose weight. Scheduling your intake can mean a world of difference, especially for people who eat at a whim. In the referenced form, it is 100% mental, but that doesn't demean it's results. I just disagree with calling that "fasting," because it isn't.

Pithy comments removed.

McCheese

That's mental. And fine, because mental state is a huge part of, well, everything. But don't think for a second that the difference is because your body is rejecting the processed foods
Bloat, lethargy, nasty shits after eating processed foods...that isn't all mental. You're really starting to sound like a crazy person. I never said your body is "rejecting" processed foods, but I don't believe your body digests and handles every single substance you put into it in exactly the same way. Especially given the number of additives and preservatives you find in most processed foods. I mean, just look at the ingredients for frozen hot pockets:

Water, Reduced Fat Mozzarella Cheese (Pasteurized Part Skim Milk, Nonfat Milk, Modified Food Starch [Ingredients Not in Regular Mozzarella Cheese], Cultures, Salt, Vitamin A Palmitate, Enzymes, Unbleached Enriched Flour (Wheat Flour, Malted Barley Flour, Niacin, Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Unbleached Enriched Flour (Wheat Flour, [Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid]), Tomato Paste, Cheddar Cheese (Pasteurized Milk, Cheese Cultures, Salt, Modified Food Starch (Ingredients Not in regular Provolone Cheese), Vitamin A Palmitate, Enzymes], Flavors [Ingredients Not in Regular Provolone Cheese]), 2% or Less of Sugar, Seasoning (Salt, Sugar, Spices, Dehydrated Onion, Dehydrated Romano Cheese [Romano Cheese from Cow's Milk (Part Skim Milk, Cheese Cultures, Salt, Enzymes), Sodium Phosphates], Dehydrated Garlic, Parsley Flakes), Modified Food Starch, Soybean Oil, Partially Hydrogenated Palm Kernel Oil (with Soy Lecithin), Seasoning (Bread Crumb [Bleached Wheat Flour, Dextrose, Yeast, Salt], Dehydrated Garlic, Tomato Powder, Spice, Salt, Dextrose, Dehydrated Onion, Corn Maltodextrin, Citric Acid, Natural Flavor), Yeast, Parmesan Cheese (Cultured Milk, Salt, Enzymes), Salt, Dough Conditioner (Calcium Sulfate, Salt, L-Cysteine Hydrochloride, Garlic Powder, Tricalcium Phosphate, Enzymes), Soy Lecithin, Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate, Methylcellulose, Flavor (Maltodextrin, Modified Corn Starch, Natural Flavors, DATEM, Medium Chain Triglycerides), Artificial Butter Flavor (Maltodextrin, Artificial Flavors, Modified Corn Starch, Medium Chain Triglycerides), Whey, Soy Flour, Egg Whites.

versus what you would use to make a homemade equivalent. I don't see how your body is going to digest and react the exact same way to both.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Nevermind, again. I'm bored of talking with keto-kids and their offspring.

Eat less than you use, lose weight. Anything else is mental gymnastics to get to that point. Period. Fad diets included.

McCheese

Well yeah, I never said anything about processed foods and losing weight. You really are a crazy person.