Weight Loss Thread

Daelos

Guarding the guardians
I tend to think most shakes are too sweet, but I've found that a chocolate-flavored protein powder + 2 shots of espresso is pretty much the best there is.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Alright day 03 and I tried it with water. While it doesn't taste as good as with cashew milk the after-gym convenience can't be rivaled. I just put some powder in the cup before leaving for work. After I worked out I just filled it up with water from the fountain, shook it up and its good to go. I'll probably do water + powder on gym days and milk + powder on non-gym days.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
ON is probably the best protein in terms of price, taste, and ingredients. It's pretty well balanced.

But I don't even drink protein shakes so what do I know.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Fuck people that use the squat/deadlift area for bicep curls. 75 lbs isn't heavy you worthless piece of shit, go use a smaller bar. Fucking pieces of shit.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Lol my gym has one squat rack and lately theres been this group of 5 morons who take up the entire area doing dumbshit like 10 pound lunges and 135 RDLs so I've taken to just staring them down and singing gangster rap until they get out of the rack. I had to tell them "you can do this shit elsewhere you know that right?" cause it just got so annoying watching 3 people do RDLs with 135 pounds out of the rack. Just fucking deadlift that pussy weight and then do your RDLs, there's no reason you should be preventing me from squatting right now.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Fuck people that use the squat/deadlift area for bicep curls. 75 lbs isn't heavy you worthless piece of shit, go use a smaller bar. Fucking pieces of shit.
There's usually shit tons of those bicep isolation stands empty at the Greenville LA Fitness too, but I see people doing bicep curls sitting on the benches, in the squat racks, in the cable pull area...

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
There's usually shit tons of those bicep isolation stands empty at the Greenville LA Fitness too, but I see people doing bicep curls sitting on the benches, in the squat racks, in the cable pull area...
No shit and the bars with set weight are curved so it is easier on your wrists and forearms. The bars are literally designed for bicep curls but noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, gotta use the 45 lb straight bar in the deadlift/squat rack. Look so cool with a 10 and 5 on each side of that beast! Fucking morons. Get your fagel asses out of the real men lifting areas.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
No shit and the bars with set weight are curved so it is easier on your wrists and forearms. The bars are literally designed for bicep curls but noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, gotta use the 45 lb straight bar in the deadlift/squat rack. Look so cool with a 10 and 5 on each side of that beast! Fucking morons. Get your fagel asses out of the real men lifting areas.
I like the ones that do some kind of one-legged pushdown in the chin/dip assist machine.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Those are called "EZ" bars just for reference.

People do a lot of dumb shit in gyms. Thankfully I go to a little more upscale gym (thanks insurance!) so it usually deters morons from the squat rack but lately it's been pretty bad.

Tenks

The new thing at my gym is to do freeweight bicep curls but with the world's worst form. Literally they start with the weight behind their hips and basically swing it up. There is so much shoulder/back movement I don't think the bicep is actually doing a damn thing the entire motion. Normally I wouldn't care but they're all using the 35/40lb dumb bells which is what I do for my curling so its becoming annoying.

One guy takes the bar off the preacher curl stand so he can stand with it so he can really put his back into it

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
The new thing at my gym is to do freeweight bicep curls but with the world's worst form. Literally they start with the weight behind their hips and basically swing it up. There is so much shoulder/back movement I don't think the bicep is actually doing a damn thing the entire motion. Normally I wouldn't care but they're all using the 35/40lb dumb bells which is what I do for my curling so its becoming annoying.

One guy takes the bar off the preacher curl stand so he can stand with it so he can really put his back into it
So it's like half kettlebell swings? Look at the bright side... it's a core workout!

Tenks

So it's like half kettlebell swings? Look at the bright side... it's a core workout!
Only far less impactful than an actual swing. Its basically just physics assisted curls so they're probably getting the same bicep workout if they halved the weights and did proper form. Theres also tons of overweight people at the gym that seem to do like 60% of their workouts just doing core workouts. I really blame our trainers they're both super gay for core workouts. I don't know if they think they can still be at 30% BF but if they do enough sit ups they'll have a shredded 6 pack or what.

Tenks

Also on the form topic I've decided to really, really slow down my reps for almost all my workouts. I try and focus on the negative isolation which also has the side benefit of really forcing your form to be correct because you're not doing anything fast. So far the only workout I'm not 100% sold on the negative isolation is the benchpress but it is starting to grow on me.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
If anything negatives on bench are better than any other especially when it comes to spotting. Can't bust out that last rep? Take a nice 5-8 second negative and have your partner deadlift the weight off your chest!

I've slowed down the eccentric portion lately too. Concentric portion isn't necessarily fast but it's not something I focus on really, unless you're bombing out on squats or crushing your sternum with bouncing while benching. In that case, definitely slow it down.

Tenks

Yeah after I typed that I disagreed with myself. I really enjoy the negative benchpress. It is probably the bicep curl I'm not sure if I'm getting benefit out of the negative. But I've kind of re-done my form on that as well where I start with my wrist kind of set backwards at the start then during the curl I start to bend my wrist forward. I used to do it all the time but kind of stopped. It really does burn your forearm and put added pressure on my bicep.

Also I got to use the big boy weight on the scale. Up to ~149.50. First time the 150 didn't completely bottom the scale out on me!

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah after I typed that I disagreed with myself. I really enjoy the negative benchpress. It is probably the bicep curl I'm not sure if I'm getting benefit out of the negative. But I've kind of re-done my form on that as well where I start with my wrist kind of set backwards at the start then during the curl I start to bend my wrist forward. I used to do it all the time but kind of stopped. It really does burn your forearm and put added pressure on my bicep.

Also I got to use the big boy weight on the scale. Up to ~149.50. First time the 150 didn't completely bottom the scale out on me!
Nice, I'm at 220 according to yesterday. Fat bitch.

I think you might be on to something with negative curls. I have a really hard time with "mtm" connection with my arms so maybe this would help. T-rex arms like a true powerlifter.
frown.png

Tenks

I have super long monkey arms. But I don't consider myself a powerlifter in the least.