Weight Loss Thread

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
6'1 195 20% bf? I must really not understand what a normal person looks like.

Eh, my BF is probably a bit lower but who knows. I'm just citing what my dumb scale says. It has an "athlete mode" for people with resting heart rates lower than 60 (which I am) but then all it does is chop 7 percent off the reported BF. I'm likely somewhere in between. A quick google makes me think I'm definitely under 20 but not less than 15. Showing abs but not cut.

edit: not sure what you meant by normal, but I'm comfortable with 3 plate squats for reps (below parallel) and a 4 plate deadlift (single). I'm going to guess that puts me in a pretty high percentile compared to most 31 year old men. I told my sedentary-for-life gamer friend who is also 6'1 that 190 is my target weight and he opined that 190 is still "really fat."

Last edited:

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Eh, my BF is probably a bit lower but who knows. I'm just citing what my dumb scale says. It has an "athlete mode" for people with resting heart rates lower than 60 (which I am) but then all it does is chop 7 percent off the reported BF. I'm likely somewhere in between. A quick google makes me think I'm definitely under 20 but not less than 15. Showing abs but not cut.

edit: not sure what you meant by normal, but I'm comfortable with 3 plate squats for reps (below parallel) and a 4 plate deadlift (single). I'm going to guess that puts me in a pretty high percentile compared to most 31 year old men. I told my sedentary-for-life gamer friend who is also 6'1 that 190 is my target weight and he opined that 190 is still "really fat."

190 is not "really fat". He's just clueless. I'm 6' and 190 and (I actually measure this very often) hover around 14% BF during bulk and 10-11% during cut. Ever seen Christian Guzman? That's about me, except not quite as lean because fitness isn't my career and I don't have that much time.

The thing that I think most people really, really don't understand - or seem to forget - is that every damn person here is different and what works for one might not work for another. Also, genetics play a huge part of everything too.

Itlan Itlan there's nothing wrong with your height/weight/BF. Just like there's nothing wrong with Rezz's, because of his proportions. Folks here get too worked up about what they read or what someone else said. Trial and error - based on some education, yes - is going to get you where you want to go, if you work hard and stick to it. No easy answers or quick-fix plans.

@bixxby Stick with it man. Dropping 100 pounds is awesome! In time, your body will adapt and the loose skin will firm up as well.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
Oh I know man. Men who have never touched a weight or done any form of labor in their life necessarily have much less core/lower body lbm.

My brother is 6'2 145 and (obviously) looks like a hungry skeleton. To him, weighing 195+ is unfathomable because it's easier for him to intuitively put a 50lb beer belly on his frame than conceiving of 50lbs of lean mass spread proportionally throughout a body.

Last edited:

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Yeah I was about to destroy him but I figured I'd let this shit roll.

You have to keep in mind, that this is a guy who meticulously tracks the number of women he bangs, their ages, and their rating on a 10 point scale. He's probably got spreadsheets for it and shit. He's a unique individual, let's say.

cypis said:
There's nothing wrong with drinking coke zero apart from the fact it might fuck up your teeth.

I've made a similar post in the past about this. People who have spent most of their lives overstimulating their taste buds eating a shit ton of junk food and drinking a ton of pop/fruit juice etc have to re-calibrate themselves. Getting away from constantly blasting your tastebuds, in my opinion, is really important if you are going to be successful in making wholesale changes to your diet and lifestyle.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Itlan Itlan there's nothing wrong with your height/weight/BF. Just like there's nothing wrong with Rezz's, because of his proportions. Folks here get too worked up about what they read or what someone else said. Trial and error - based on some education, yes - is going to get you where you want to go, if you work hard and stick to it. No easy answers or quick-fix plans.

It's just funny to think he's taller than me, weighs less, and has a higher bf%.

I do have a huge, fat ass tho. I should've been a woman with this thing.

405 squat on deck!

Sloshed

Lord Nagafen Raider
Props for trying and I'm sure this feels like a significant change, but I really suggest you be more descriptive (at least, to yourself).

Not all "oatmeal and coffee" is created equal. That's either a 200 calorie breakfast or an 800 calorie breakfast depending on who I ask. Throw a fuckton of brown sugar and other crap into oatmeal and it starts to become a morning dessert. Same for the sandwiches; choice of bread, sauce, meat, and the ratios between them. Bread really sucks for food in comparison to potato. A bowl of cereal for dinner is almost as nutritionally devoid as you can make it -- sure, it's slightly better than ice cream but its really just a shitton of simple carbs. Take a fiber pill and eat a baked potato with some spice and a dab of sour cream.

At your current weight, you'll absolutely lose fat by abstaining from the truckloads of garbage that got you there -- but to actually achieve a healthy weight and stay there, you must learn how to plan, shop for, and cook actual food.

My wife and I are in the process of losing the last ten pounds or so (I'm 6'1 195 20% bf), last night we had:

salmon filet lightly coated with olive oil (300c)
spinach salad with chopped cucumber, carrot, and onion (80c)
baked potato with sour cream and hot sauce (150c)

That's our largest meal of the day. Tonight I'm making chicken bowls:

8 oz sliced chicken breast (250c)
quartered and baked potato with sour cream and hot sauce (150c)
And a huge spinach/carrot/cucumber salad with very light sauce (50c).

I'm using unprocessed meats (protein) with a bit of oil (fat) and potato (carb) to hit macro targets, and using high flavor things like green onion, spices, and hot sauces to make the meal more interesting.

Keep in mind, most people, even healthy people not following a strict diet, have "cheat days" but they don't call them that. They just eat slightly below their maintenance rate throughout the week and then have a bit extra on the weekend. All too often you see people struggling with diet, but when you really investigate, you find that they are suffering throughout the week but then smashing through 5k calories on fri/sat just like they used to and all their suffering throughout the week is for naught. I've never been obese but I can happily put away 5k+ calories eating what I want to and having some craft beers. If I intend to do that on Friday, then I need to plan for it by not indulging throughout the week.
Fuck a bunch of eating salmon. I'd rather stay fat.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
<Trapped in Randomonia>
In other news, I've been bouncing between 75-80kg for a year. 73kg for me is roughly 10% body fat but I can't stick to my diet long enough to cut or add muscle.

Just signed up for six months at the private gym where I started!

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
I'm 6'2 roughly 205lbs, and if I hazard a guess I'm probably around the 14-16% bodyfat mark. I just can't quite get rid of that thin layer of fat or "paunch" over my abs. Mainly cause I'm lazy with doing abdominal exercise I guess.

I used to be a fatty in my 20's though, probably 315ish at my worst. Still have stretch mark scars all over, sucks.

My number one thing for losing the weight was cutting out sugar of any kind, not even artificial shit.

Then cutting way down on carbs, which sorta = sugar putting it simply.

Never went super nuts about cutting down on fat, watching my carbs took care of a lot of fat intake too.

Then it was was basically time and being disciplined with a regular exercise routine. Took me about 3 years to get to around what I am now. I started lifting weights towards the end of that time, which really sped my fat loss and helped toning, instead of that floppy skin shit.

Pretty much stick to the same diet, although I eat a lot of protien.

I have issues doing most forms of weights these days though, I have osteoarthritis in most of my major joints, I'm only 37, but its passed on from my fathers side. I tend to stick to those resistance bands, I'll tie a bunch together, to get a good "weight" and seems to do the trick combined with work.

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
I've been cutting all summer since about mid-May. Started at 213 and am currently sitting at 197, so I've basically been knocking off 5lbs a month by primarily cutting out excessive drinking and sweets while focusing on cario over weight lifting. I've always had a fair amount of muscle but unfortunately also have a layer of baby seal blubber coating it so I really have been trying to lean out. I usually hit the gym 4 days a week, with cardio every day and weights peppered in depending on how I'm feeling. I'm trying to cut off another 7-8lbs by Sept 23 for my wedding which is above average for my losses so far. I'm trying to adjust calorie intake by about another 200 per day so I don't kill myself but I was also wondering if I should switch to a more lifting-centric focus in the gym. Thoughts?

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
<Trapped in Randomonia>
I've been cutting all summer since about mid-May. Started at 213 and am currently sitting at 197, so I've basically been knocking off 5lbs a month by primarily cutting out excessive drinking and sweets while focusing on cario over weight lifting. I've always had a fair amount of muscle but unfortunately also have a layer of baby seal blubber coating it so I really have been trying to lean out. I usually hit the gym 4 days a week, with cardio every day and weights peppered in depending on how I'm feeling. I'm trying to cut off another 7-8lbs by Sept 23 for my wedding which is above average for my losses so far. I'm trying to adjust calorie intake by about another 200 per day so I don't kill myself but I was also wondering if I should switch to a more lifting-centric focus in the gym. Thoughts?

Yes add weights 60 minutes with hiit cardio

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
Man this week is annoying. I've been under 1800 calories every day, worked out every day, and I've lost like 1 lb in 5 days. Boolsheet. had to punch another hole in my belt though.

It's hilarious to think about how I got this big(soda, whole pizzas, whole ice cream containers, etc) and how I eat now. Literally meat, veggies, avocados, and water. Aside from drinking alcohol like twice I haven't had a liquid calorie other than almond milk since May 15th. Just wish this weight would hurry the fuck up and fall off.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Man this week is annoying. I've been under 1800 calories every day, worked out every day, and I've lost like 1 lb in 5 days. Boolsheet. had to punch another hole in my belt though.

It's hilarious to think about how I got this big(soda, whole pizzas, whole ice cream containers, etc) and how I eat now. Literally meat, veggies, avocados, and water. Aside from drinking alcohol like twice I haven't had a liquid calorie other than almond milk since May 15th. Just wish this weight would hurry the fuck up and fall off.

Hrm, and you're still....330+ right? I mean the numbers aren't -that- far off, since exercise burns calories but not nearly as many as people like to think. You're out of the easy losses (even Keto falls prey to basic physics and math) though I'd be interested how you know that you are consuming under 1800 every day. Accurately measuring stuff and correctly identifying the caloric content then adding them together? Or MyFP or some other app/program that does it for you?

You're probably around 2700ish calories for sedentary and probably 3200ish for light activity (your descriptions of your exercise routines come across as "light" which is fine, just trying to accurately portray things) so you're 1800(if accurate) is about 1300ish (in between, sort of) under maint. That means you should be losing 1lb (again, roughly) every 3 days. This leads me to believe that either your measurement is off or your activity is generally lighter than what your explanation evinces. If you were sedentary, you'd lose a lb roughly every 4 days, which is closer to what you're experiencing. That's just normal weight loss man. If you were expecting to keep dropping 5+lbs a week on any diet, I've got a bridge to sell ya hah.

• 1Like

Haus

<Silver Donator>
OK, well I will now tell my odd tale to add to the list...

I'm always been a short stocky lunchbox. After a dozen years of marriage to the lovely and saintly patient Mrs Haus her cooking didn't help this. I had a small "coronary scare" earlier this year, which the Dr thought was a blocked up artery. Turns out I have a condition called Hypotrophic Cardiomyopathy which just means my 4th chamber doesn't stretch enough because I had untreated hypertension for a while, ergo I don't pump as much blood as fast as I should. That's background, and it's why I decided I needed to get in better shape.

Started off this year at 246 lbs, at 5'5" at 46 years old. I'm old and grumpy enough to know that radical diet changing won't work for me. So my golden plan was "eat the same shitty diet, just eat less of it."
My favorite foods are a list of crap to avoid : Bread, Mashed Potatoes (how my wife won my love), Fried chicken, Burgers, Macaroni and cheese... and saltine crackers (I essentially live life on the kids menu)
The only positive really is that my favorite snack is watermelon (which turns out is good.. yay my southern heritage) Those mini personal watermelons are like Babies! I love them, but can only eat about half of one in a sitting.

The only notable changes I made :
A) Switched from Mexican coke to Coke Zero (took two weeks to adjust to the taste)
B) Actively avoided anything I knew had serious processed sugars in it (candy, etc..)
C) Targeted a goal of 1800 calories a day, since a website said that would target me towards around 1 lb a week weight loss. (With dramatic sacrifices like going from the #1 at Whataburger to the #6...) And so far I have done a mean of 1950 calories per day so far this year.

The only notable exercise...
A) Set a 6000 step a day goal on my google fit on my phone (to which I average around 4000 steps a day so far this year)
B) Started going about once a week to a place called Orange Theory Fitness for something called a Hi Intensity Interval Training workout.

The results?
As of today, 206 pounds.

My secret weapon?
As part of the cardiac scare my Dr ran a comprehensive metabolic panel on me. Discovered that I had the testosterone level of a 95+ year old man. Put me on a schedule of getting these pellets once every 6 months to regulate that shit back to "guy in his 20's" levels. And that seems to cause lean muscle mass to add and fat to burn faster.

• 1Like

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
I -really- wish exercise had a larger impact on weightloss. It's a super healthy habit that will only improve your health and enhance weight loss results, but on the pure "loss vs. effort" scale it's very little loss for a -lot- of effort. It totally helps, as burning that extra 1600+ calories a week (totally depending on activity level) is almost half a lb before diet even comes into consideration, so it's always good. It's just the people thinking that doing light-moderate exercise/activity over the week is going to double/triple the lbs they drop and then realizing that it's roughly 10-15% of their total loss on average can be a bit disheartening. The other benefits besides pure weight dropped are the incentive, and it does increase the speed at which you lose for sure. But getting a handle on actual intake and needs and fine tuning the specifics is waaaaay more important for pure weight loss.

Good on ya Haus. I would personally recommend maybe looking into eating veggies occasionally instead of a diet of meats, fats, and empty carbs. But if it is working it is working, just keep following doc's advice regarding the heart stuff.

• 1Like

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
I -really- wish exercise had a larger impact on weightloss. It's a super healthy habit that will only improve your health and enhance weight loss results, but on the pure "loss vs. effort" scale it's very little loss for a -lot- of effort...
What worked well for me with weights was doing low rep max weight sets one day i.e. pure anabolic exercise, and next day 1/2 or even 2/3 less weight, doing higher and much faster reps. Was a good mix of cardio and anabolic. For me a relaxed 30 min jog or walk after helped relax, and was extra cardio.

What freaked me out at was I didn't seem to lose much at first, sometimes even gained a little. Once I had a decent amount of muscle mass, fat just started melting away, and I remembered, derp, muscle is denser and heavier than fat.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
Posting this for Himeo. This is my dinner tonight.

20160818_214852.jpg

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
Hrm, and you're still....330+ right? I mean the numbers aren't -that- far off, since exercise burns calories but not nearly as many as people like to think. You're out of the easy losses (even Keto falls prey to basic physics and math) though I'd be interested how you know that you are consuming under 1800 every day. Accurately measuring stuff and correctly identifying the caloric content then adding them together? Or MyFP or some other app/program that does it for you?

You're probably around 2700ish calories for sedentary and probably 3200ish for light activity (your descriptions of your exercise routines come across as "light" which is fine, just trying to accurately portray things) so you're 1800(if accurate) is about 1300ish (in between, sort of) under maint. That means you should be losing 1lb (again, roughly) every 3 days. This leads me to believe that either your measurement is off or your activity is generally lighter than what your explanation evinces. If you were sedentary, you'd lose a lb roughly every 4 days, which is closer to what you're experiencing. That's just normal weight loss man. If you were expecting to keep dropping 5+lbs a week on any diet, I've got a bridge to sell ya hah.

I log everything I eat in mfp. Even if I'm underestimating weights when I'm too lazy to weigh them(I didn't weigh my two venison steaks last night for example) I'm still well under 1500 calories most days so even if I'm underestimating.

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
Posting this for Himeo. This is my dinner tonight.

Bon Appetit.

Man, reading this thread is depressing. Especially Gilgamel's posts.

sad.gif

Successful weight loss is a marathon not a sprint. Also, it never ends. You're like a guy in Mad Max who found a dune buggy with a full tank of gas and you're blasting full throttle across the desert. It's working now, but you shouldn't be worried about today. You should be thinking about 5 or 10 years from now when you have a 90%+ chance of being back at your starting weight.

Slow down. Focus on the basics. You're two months into something you'll be doing for the rest of your life. That takes energy and consistency.

Focusing on the scale is an energy drain. Beating yourself up over negative thinking like "I just wish this weight would hurry the fuck up and fall off." is an energy drain. Killing yourself at the gym every day is an energy drain and likely to cause an injury. Starving yourself is an energy drain.

Arguing with the Autists in this thread is an energy drain. That's why I do it once a year on January 1st, around the time new people might be looking for a diet. That way there's at least a small chance it might help someone.

(Okay, exercising every day isn't an energy drain but it's completely unnecessary if you're a fat blob and you're doing keto.)

By comparison, I lost 70 lbs in 70 days eating whatever I wanted without counting calories or exercising. After the first few months I stopped losing weight every day. It discouraged me. I wasn't cheating, I was doing everything right, but the scale wasn't moving. Then, every three or four weeks, I'd lose a month's worth of weight in a day or two (~6-8 lbs). Eventually around 280 I hit a point where I didn't lose weight for three months. That was my first stall. I cut out diet soda's and artificial sweeteners and focused on drinking more water and cutting back on carb creep. I lost more weight. I didn't have to start counting calories or exercising until I stalled again around 220. Keto is ezmode. Relax. Focus on the basics. Don't over complicate this shit.

It took me a while. It's going to take you a while. Settle in for the long haul and get your balls on point.

Last edited: