Weight Loss Thread

sonicmaster

Molten Core Raider
That sucks. If it takes surgery to get rid of then I can live with it.

I'm pretty sure it's just not the shape of it. When I sit down, to me, it clearly looks like grabable(?) fat+skin.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Bros I found these in the store:

Non-GMO Low Carb Tortillas Archives - La Tortilla Factory

This is what has been missing. Holy fuckballs. They taste just fine. 3g of carbs per tortilla. For someone who grew up in Texas and has viewed tortillas as a diet staple for my entire life, going without was hard to adapt to. Now, shit is ON. I got the whole wheat ones because that is what they had, made soft tacos, they were glorious. Making quesadillas this weekend. I've never been so excited about a mass produced grocery product before.

our local HEB sells these, they are quite good. It's amazing how a normal tortilla is like 25g carb, and these taste damn near identical to me at least. Then again I think walden farms dressing is perfectly fine too.

matsb84

Silver Knight of the Realm
6'2 and 165lbs? You a stick. Eat and lift, fill out...jesus.
I'm 1.90m and went from 98kg to 75kg quite fast. But I have 2 problems:

1- there's still a little belly fat that doesn't want to go away! I love the way I look except for that bump below the bellybutton. How do I get rid of this?
2- the skin on my belly looks a little flappy. Completely unnoticeable when I'm standing but if I sit or bend over it folds ugly... I wasn't counting on this, 98kg with 1.90 I looked just a little overweight...nothing even close to pre-obese! And now if I try to loose even more fat on the belly will it look worse? If I try to gain muscle in that area will it fix it?

I'd recommend lifting and eating to fill out. 6'2 and 165lbs is...emaciated to me. Eat/lift and put some good mass on. You probably had a very high bf% at 215+, so good job losing the fat, now put some muscle on your frame.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
our local HEB sells these, they are quite good. It's amazing how a normal tortilla is like 25g carb, and these taste damn near identical to me at least. Then again I think walden farms dressing is perfectly fine too.

I had two more today, thought maybe it was just a fluke since I hadn't had tortillas in over 6 months. Not a fluke, they taste just like regular.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
You're the vegan of tortillas chaos. Tortegan.

"It tastes just like the real thing!!!"

Goddamnit!

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
G preferred flour tortillas but carbs and sodium knocked them right off of his menu choices. We would get the La Tiara white corn taco shells for our Tex-Mex fix. 4 carbs per shell, no sodium. Not low cal at 35 (40 for the yellow corn) but all in all, it balanced out a meal well when all ingredients were carefully chosen and prepared.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
The tortillas I linked above do cook up a little weird for stuff like quesadillas. Not bad, just different. Much more crisp than flour tortillas get.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm 1.90m and went from 98kg to 75kg quite fast. But I have 2 problems:

1- there's still a little belly fat that doesn't want to go away! I love the way I look except for that bump below the bellybutton. How do I get rid of this?
2- the skin on my belly looks a little flappy. Completely unnoticeable when I'm standing but if I sit or bend over it folds ugly... I wasn't counting on this, 98kg with 1.90 I looked just a little overweight...nothing even close to pre-obese! And now if I try to loose even more fat on the belly will it look worse? If I try to gain muscle in that area will it fix it?
Just do some laser lipo sculpting or even cryolipolysis. Great for those spot areas that hang around and the price is steadily coming down. It helps tighten the skin too. If you have that thing where it looks like a front buttcrack below your belly button when you lean forward then this is perfect for u.

sonicmaster

Molten Core Raider
Just do some laser lipo sculpting or even cryolipolysis. Great for those spot areas that hang around and the price is steadily coming down. It helps tighten the skin too. If you have that thing where it looks like a front buttcrack below your belly button when you lean forward then this is perfect for u.
Not even close to that. Not that much skin and fat and at least it only folds horizontally and mostly above bellybutton not below. But good to know there are non invasive alternatives in case I need.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole

Thoughts on this?

Watched enough to know it was about IF, where IF is defined as anything under "normal" calories apparently. IF in general is nonsense, since the body doesn't react that fast -ever-. You are not eating normal for 5 days and then getting magic health benefits for only eating 600 calories on the 6th. That's dumb. This guy's weight loss is directly attributed to caloric deficit and not IF, and his health benefits mirror that. The film conflates it with the powers of fasting. Which are generally nonsense.

I'm glad he interviewed my favorite doctor, Dr. Longo. The leading gerontologist who also sells fasting "kits" from his foundation. All his studies so far basically focus on cancer patients or mice, and long term fasting (not eating for 48+ hours) has a similar effect to chemo therapy on both in his studies. You know, chemo therapy, the shotgun poison blast to kill cancerous cells and makes you feel like complete shit. Not eating for a day every couple of days? Might train you to deal with not consuming lots of extra foods, but unless you're super active you're not burning through your caloric stores during those days and the baseline is still caloric restriction.

Hold the phone; reducing your calories over the course of a week means you don't gain as much weight and in some cases lose weight? Tell me how this magic theory was formulated.

mkopec can probably add something to this conversation, since I think he was the major proponent on the other site. But IF is retarded, and most people who think they are practicing IF in the first place are just practicing caloric restriction but instead dealing with timing to some minor degree. Skipping breakfast is not fasting. It -is- fasting if you skip lunch, dinner, and all food in between, for 24+ hours. And even according to Valter Longo's own studies, his theoretical benefits only kick in after 48+ hours.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
I'm in the 250s now, maintaining around ~1600 cal a day. Feels good man.

• 1Like

splorge

Watched enough to know it was about IF, where IF is defined as anything under "normal" calories apparently. IF in general is nonsense, since the body doesn't react that fast -ever-. You are not eating normal for 5 days and then getting magic health benefits for only eating 600 calories on the 6th. That's dumb. This guy's weight loss is directly attributed to caloric deficit and not IF, and his health benefits mirror that. The film conflates it with the powers of fasting. Which are generally nonsense.

I'm glad he interviewed my favorite doctor, Dr. Longo. The leading gerontologist who also sells fasting "kits" from his foundation. All his studies so far basically focus on cancer patients or mice, and long term fasting (not eating for 48+ hours) has a similar effect to chemo therapy on both in his studies. You know, chemo therapy, the shotgun poison blast to kill cancerous cells and makes you feel like complete shit. Not eating for a day every couple of days? Might train you to deal with not consuming lots of extra foods, but unless you're super active you're not burning through your caloric stores during those days and the baseline is still caloric restriction.

Hold the phone; reducing your calories over the course of a week means you don't gain as much weight and in some cases lose weight? Tell me how this magic theory was formulated.

mkopec can probably add something to this conversation, since I think he was the major proponent on the other site. But IF is retarded, and most people who think they are practicing IF in the first place are just practicing caloric restriction but instead dealing with timing to some minor degree. Skipping breakfast is not fasting. It -is- fasting if you skip lunch, dinner, and all food in between, for 24+ hours. And even according to Valter Longo's own studies, his theoretical benefits only kick in after 48+ hours.

Most people looking to get in shape define IF as just to be eating within a defined window every day, normally 4-8 hours. It is understood the primary benefit is hunger control if you are on a deficit. For bulking, it can be difficult to eat so much within a small window.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
And that's fine, but it certainly isn't fasting in any way, shape, or form. That or every time you go to sleep, you're fasting.

Why anyone would be bulking on -any- type of restrictive diet is beyond me. Diabetic weightlifters, maybe?

"IF" offers basically no benefit over normal caloric reduction throughout the day, unless you're actually fasting for 48+ hours. And then the benefits have to be weighed against the very real detriments that are associated with not having intake for 2+ days in a row. I mean it's great if you're trying to train yourself off of eating McDonalds every morning on the way to work or something, but the video was trying to make it sound like not eating for a day at a time was this huge change from normal caloric restriction. The body simply does not work that way.

It's mental handholding at absolute best, and pseudo bro-science as a baseline. Some people need that handholding to break bad habits, sure. But these videos keep popping up with conflated results and usually a very hippy/feels-science aesthetic, when the results are identical to traditional calorie restrictive diets. It's more of just people looking for a way to avoid having to pay attention to what they eat.

That's basically the big takeaway. Skipping meals (or IF in Splorge's definition) is just trying to avoid being conscious of what you are eating. "I skip breakfast but I eat 1100 calories for lunch and dinner. IF IS A DREAM COME TRUE!" If you want to be healthy, just randomly cutting out meals isn't how to do so in the long run. Be conscious of what you are eating, and how what you are eating has an impact on you. The guy who skips breakfast so he can eat pizza for lunch isn't eating healthy. If you're eating healthy, there's no reason to skip breakfast. Mental gymnastics.

The video is almost worse. Dude could have simply modified his diet vs. "fasting" and it would have had the exact same results and health benefits. Instead, he's looking for a way to avoid being conscious of his intake. But for some reason, he still understands that his fasting days are 600 calories. That's sticking the landing in mental gymnastics.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'm in the 250s now, maintaining around ~1600 cal a day. Feels good man.
Good work man. You're fairly low on the activity chart so that's a reasonable number (even if it's still low imo, as long as the doc is ok then hey) which since you're getting into a healthier state, you may desire to ramp up. It won't have a massive change on your loss rate, but you will feel better overall.

splorge

That's basically the big takeaway. Skipping meals (or IF in Splorge's definition) is just trying to avoid being conscious of what you are eating. "I skip breakfast but I eat 1100 calories for lunch and dinner. IF IS A DREAM COME TRUE!" If you want to be healthy, just randomly cutting out meals isn't how to do so in the long run. Be conscious of what you are eating, and how what you are eating has an impact on you. The guy who skips breakfast so he can eat pizza for lunch isn't eating healthy. If you're eating healthy, there's no reason to skip breakfast. Mental gymnastics.

Meal timing and being conscious of macros/energy balance are not mutually exclusive. The timing of meals is anything but random. Plenty of people who skip breakfast closely track calories and macros. If it helps them control hunger, then who cares? Intra day meal timing is irrelevant from a nutrition perspective, but as a tool if it helps people accomplish their goals, adhere to the diet and lose weight, then I don't see a problem with it.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
I have an issue with it being sold as a wonder drug, ie, that video. Or for people thinking they are doing something revolutionary and talking about how awesome it is when it is exactly as effective as any other caloric restriction diet. The second interview in the video we're talking about even has the chick say "You can eat whatever you want!" on non-fast days. That's the kind of nonsense that doesn't need to be peddled to people looking for improved health. And IF themed content is constantly going on about how people skip breakfast and then can eat whatever they want for dinner, and still lose weight! It's incredibly offensive to me as someone who knows a bit about health and diet to see absolute trash sold as truth. People can believe what they want, but IF is consistently marketed as a panacea when it is a placebo at absolute best. If people need a gimmick to break bad habits, hey, gimmick away. But at least call a spade a spade. IF proponents rarely/never do.

You're roughly the first IF defendant I can remember who admits they know its more or less bunk, but occasionally useful bunk. The overwhelming majority of people are misleading as hell about the whole silly idea, and then that misinformation just propagates as truth.

Aamry

Blackwing Lair Raider
Since I started my new job, I've gained almost 40 pounds. Feels bad bros.

I bought a water rower, should be here Monday, and I'm going to do cardio everyday, and switch to a diet of lean protein and vegetables, to hopefully shed all this weight.