Weight Loss Thread

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I assume he was answering Agraza's question.

Fitmatic.com has this thing where you measure your wrist and ankle to determine if you are a "hardgainer". The term hardgainer is used to say that you gain muscle less quickly than others. My wrist is barely under the level, but my ankles are like 20% above the level. Does one take precedence? Is this just bullshit? I don't really get into the nitty gritty details if I don't have to, but this has made me curious about my potential growth.
I tend to dismiss generic, one-size-fits-all measurements like this, but I could see how such a thing could be accurate in -most- people.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Agraza inspired me to pick up a soft tape measure to do body measurements since I haven't seen much movement on my actual body weight in a while (I haven't been sticking to my program very well either, but that's a topic for another post). I was mostly doing it to have a historical record of my measurements, but I was entertained by the huge variances in my estimated body fat, FFMI, and a "Above Natural Limits" Potential Mass Gain. I assume that means it thinks I'm using steroids?

Compared to other users, I'm smaller than 86.67% upper body, larger than 97.82% calves, and larger than 99.25% flexed biceps. Of course, this assumes accurate measurements on my part, and it's only interesting if it's not just me and Agraza on the site.

I've decided to eschew lifting for a few weeks and stick with HIIT exclusively to help burn off this excessive body fat. I've gotta dial my diet back in. I've been using MyFitnessPal to ensure I'm on budget, but there have been far too many, "eh, fuck it!" days lately.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
I tweaked my foot on the treadmill a couple of days ago so I need to stay off of it and let it heal. I'm pretty sure it's a small bone bruise from really bad, old, shoes. I picked up a better pair of actual running shoes so that should help once I give my foot a chance to recover. It sucks being off the treadmill for a couple of days but if I don't than this bruise won't ever heal. I've cut way back on calories since I've started dieting a couple of weeks ago and I'll just try to be even more mindful of what I eat over the next couple of days until my foot is better.
Injuries are the worst. Do everything you can to be safe. Losing momentum is bad mojo. You might try something lower impact like an elliptical or bike machine.

Dandai, I've gotten some similar +% / -% type stuff that's way outside fitmatic's averages. I assume that's due to some fat stored in those areas. I definitely have a bit on my arms I'm working off. Calves aren't a good tell though. A lot of people just have slim calves. I'm only paying attention to my own measurement movements over time. Fitmatic is just a nice place to store them with a few calculators thrown in.

ubiquitrips

Golden Knight of the Realm
I am coming in on a check in point this week for measurements. I will put some info in Fitmatic as I don't have anything except my initial random measurements since my calipers busted. I actually completely failed to input my starting measurements before this 'bulk'. So far, it isn't a terribly successful bulk in the gaining weight sense. I am having trouble committing to the amount of calories required and am still mentally scared of becoming fat again. However, in terms of my body weight program I am still progressing nicely through each of the exercises so I am gaining strength. Perhaps I am just doing a terribly inefficient recomp.

moontayle

Golden Squire
Not sure where else to put this so I hope you'll excuse me if I'm in the wrong place.

Over the summer I learned that my dad wasn't doing so well. Still isn't. Just a myriad of issues. At the core it's because he never really took his health seriously. He only sporadically did things with a healthy bent, but he never kept at it. When I heard he was starting to go downhill, something in me clicked. A friend had been encouraging me to join him at the place where he did kickboxing training, and I decided it was time to take up that offer. My life and job are sedentary and I had no good reason to avoid it any longer.

I started the first week of September and made it about twenty minutes into the first class before I felt like I was going to pass out. But I thought about my dad, at 62 and in failing health, and resolved to keep going. I committed to a year of training. Twice a week, three if time allowed. The basic adult class is always a good workout. Cardio mostly, but some strength and endurance training as well. Plus self defense. I was able to easily run a 5k with my daughter after two months. Some classes are more intense than others, but I push myself and I have felt the work paying off. I've already lost 8 pounds. My friend, the one who got me into this, has lost 40 in the year and a half since he started.

Tonight I took the second step in a larger journey. I pass my first belt test. I look forward toward the work required for the second. And hopefully when I'm 62, I won't be in the same position of watching my health fail because I never took it seriously.

ubiquitrips

Golden Knight of the Realm
Great work, man. Getting an active hobby going is pretty clutch. Made a world of difference for me as you can just do a hobby, not 'work out'.

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah, my father requiring surgery on his foot twice in one year was a big catalyst to me finally getting off my ass and making my lifestyle change.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
Since this thread is about to ramp up, Imma post here. Took ten days off on all exercise/bike work and just drank and ate like a king while on vacation. Think I put on 5 pounds and yesterday did some bike work and now having the worst DOMS I've had in a very long time.

I feel so out of shape.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
DOMS. It's how you know you're out of shape.

Legs are bad, real bad when you get it, but I think bis and tris are the worst. I feel like a T-Rex trying to wash my hair when I get a bad case after too much time off from the gym.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Had to look the term up, because I didn't realize there was a term for the soreness that exists after working out for the first time in forever.

Arms are definitely the worst, specifically triceps. You don't realize how much you use those bastards until they are almost too weak to support themselves. Anything that involves reaching with an open hand is a learning experience hah.

Edit: I think your view on how that after workout soreness effects you is determined by how many stairs you encounter in your day to day experience. Because a hefty legs day followed by lots of stairs? Can be the worst of bitches.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
Going up isn't so bad. It's going down that gets you.
I miss my old work, had to walk up and down this two story ramp carrying parts(car doors, hoods, fenders) all day. My life was glorious hell after a hard leg day.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'm not really a fan of stretching before a workout (get the torches!) but man, stretching the day after a heavy lifting experience before you get that second day soreness blitz helps immensely. You don't need to go all crazy using foam rollers and shit (but you should!) but just flexing and moving the joints and connective tissue can mean a world of difference. Like not being able to reach your ass to wipe vs. just feeling sore type exertion difference. One of the reasons I like doing yoga on my non-lifting days, even if only for 20 minutes or so. HUGE difference in the second day soreness, fo realz.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Yea, I about ate it going down some stairs leaving the xmas party last night. I was holding onto that rail for my life as my legs wouldn't quite work how they were supposed to.

Angelwatch

Trakanon Raider
I'm 20 pounds down from my high point. I just cut my calories in half and have been trying to walk 2 to 4 miles a day. Snacking was my biggest weakness before and I've all but stopped. On the very rare times I do snack I've been making much better choices. I'm not interested in being super fit or toned but would like to lose another 30 to 50.

I started super out of shape and was very overweight. Today my clothes fit much better (in fact I know I went down a size but am too cheap to buy new ones just yet) and I feel a ton better. Two months ago a mile walk left me out of breath. Today I can do 2 miles easy and it's not until the third that I start to feel it. Still a ways to go but so far so good.

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
That's awesome man, but why the interest in weight loss if you're not interested in being fit?

I get a lot of flack for my lack of moderation on this forum, so it's a genuine question, you seem to be doing this "pretty hardcore" if you've cut your calories IN HALF, which is fucking hard and amazing, but why set your goal as what you describe as "only moderate"?

Angelwatch

Trakanon Raider
I think I could have phrased that better. I'm just your average overweight gaming nerd with a desk job and want to get more healthy. I knew I was overweight but the last time I went to the doctor's office I really didn't like what I saw when I stepped on the scale. But I'll never be the guy who goes to the gym or lifts or anything like that. I like walking and that's working for me. Two or three miles a day on the the treadmill or two or three miles walking around the neighborhood when weather permits and that's good for me. It gives me time to think or watch TV with the treadmill.

A lot of you in this thread are much more hardcore about fitness than I am. And that's fine. I'm doing it for health reasons and right now my main goal is to get down to a better weight. I'm 5'8" and my google-fu shows my ideal weight should be 140 to 170 lbs. I've got a ways to go yet. Maybe once I start getting down closer to that I'll change my mind but right now my goal is purely just to get down to a more healthy weight.

It also should be said that I'm married. So I'm doing this purely for myself and not in an attempt to pick up chicks. I'm not claiming that anyone here is going the hardcore fitness route for that but I'd be willing to bet that's at least one factor for those not married or in a serious relationship. I won't speak for others but since getting married my outlook has changed on things like that.