Weight Loss Thread

1. Body Fat % isn't accurate
2. Personal trainers are stupid and con artists

Just 2 of the pearls of wisdom I've been subjected to by the retards in this thread, fuck them, way to go!
No, calipers aren't accurate, as you have proven yourself, after one of the your own version of:

"See, I never just did things just to do them. Come on, what am I gonna do? Just all of a sudden jump up and grind my feet on somebody's couch like it's something to do? Come on. I got a little more sense then that.
[pause]"

"Yeah, I remember grinding my feet on Eddie's couch"

And your personal trainer is stupid, I don't know about his.

God you are a used car salesman's dream victim.

And congrats to Squigg because that's awesome.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
No, calipers aren't accurate, as you have proven yourself, after one of the your own version of:

"See, I never just did things just to do them. Come on, what am I gonna do? Just all of a sudden jump up and grind my feet on somebody's couch like it's something to do? Come on. I got a little more sense then that.
[pause]"

I have no idea what any of that even means. Perhaps you should take a break from the keyboard for a bit, instead of posting incomprehensible nonsense.

And I think judging someone purely based on the brand of BCAA they recommended is retarded, ergo you are retarded, retard.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Squiggoth did you drink gallons of coconut oil?

Also, how many hundreds of grams of protein do you eat per day? 6x200g?

Squiggoth

Golden Squire
Fuck yeah, I bet. Great job. I see Lifetime Fitness, just recently heard of that a couple of times now. Did you primarily go there?
Yeah I'm there 6 days a week usually for a couple hours/day (including warm-up, cooldown, and mobility work). It's open 24/7 and like i said earlier only closes like 8 hours a year so i never have an excuse for not getting to the gym.

Squiggoth

Golden Squire
Squiggoth did you drink gallons of coconut oil?

Also, how many hundreds of grams of protein do you eat per day? 6x200g?
No I drink gallons of water (about 1.5/day)

For the first first 40-50lbs i went 35/30/35 (Carb/Fat/Protein) and was losing a net 2-3lbs/month which ended up being around 4lbs of fat loss and 1-2 lbs of lean mass gained each month. From October 2012 --> March 2013 i dropped 40lbs and 10% bodyfat on a ketosis diet (10/60/30) combined with intermediate fasting. For most of that period i was sitting around 2100 calories with <50g carbs, >=150g fat, >=132g protein to cut fat and maintain lean mass.

I work out, a lot, but once i got into ketosis i was able to maintain my workouts and continue to make strength gains while only eating about 1900 calories a day and i moved to ~40g carbs, 160-180g protein, and the remainder was whatever my fat macro's came out to be. At that caloric level i was losing about 0.6 lbs/day and maintaining my lean mass (i carry around 207lbs of lean mass right now, trying to push that up to around 218-220 lean mass and stay around 235lbs body weight by the end of the year.

That said, if i don't do intermediate fasting, I don't lose weight because my body can't stay sated on 1700-1800 calories/day if i start eating as soon as i get up and inevitably i fail the willpower battle. I'm NEVER hungry in the morning, and while in ketosis i've still got plenty of fat stores to pull fuel from, so i'd coffee it up in the morning but let that burn continue until lunch then eat a big lunch (500-700 calories), and then a big dinner (800-1000 calories after my workout). If my lunch was smaller, I'd do a protein-rich spinach salad for 300-500calories extra eats before i went to the gym.

On a typical workout i burn off ~1000+ calories/hour doing drop-set weights and hypertrophy work and HIIT cardio circuits. on my heavy strength days i make sure i up my protein to around 200g, but otherwise i tell my body to suck it up. The only calories i drink in are the heavy cream with my tea/coffee. Everything else i eat solid food so i can feel sated more easily.

Squiggoth

Golden Squire

[pause]"

I'm explicitly clear with the people i work with in the gym (I have a strength coach who is also my nutritionist), and a personal trainer. I've got specific goals that i work through with them and i don't care how long it takes so long as there is regular and steady progress towards those goals. I've got the disposable income to afford all of this because i don't drink when i'm training for competition (which is most the year), and i bust my ass at my day job. That said, my personal trainer keeps things interesting, and if i don't want to die by the time the workout is done, i yell at them. I'm not there to be coddled or given broscience, i'm there to get a specific goal done through hard work and no bullshit is gonna cloud that.

At any given time, i'm chasing a handful of goals:
1.) an aesthetic goal
2.) a strength goal
3.) a bodyweight/bodyfat goal (both short and long-term)
4.) a cardio goal (i run a 7:02 mile, which pisses me off and working on getting under 7 minutes)
5.) A competition goal
6.) A long-term physique goal to help cycle my workouts and have the right structure in place to accomplish what i'm trying to do.

I combine that with enough tracking data and how i'm feeling to assess if i need to change something, and if something needs to be adjusted i talk with the folks i'm working with and we change the program. If i crave some shit food or if i'm not sleeping well or if my healing times are reduced, whatever it may be, it gets discussed, researched, and then adjustments get made on a near constant basis. Some personal trainers are retards, but if i'm getting the results i want, in the timelines i want, and i stay motivated, i'm not about to complain.

Squiggoth

Golden Squire
Oh and i don't do cardio anymore other than HIIT intervals. Pick up heavy stuff, put em back down. Repeat. Simple.

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
From October 2012 --> March 2013 i dropped 40lbs and 10% bodyfat on a ketosis diet (10/60/30) combined with intermediate fasting. For most of that period i was sitting around 2100 calories with <50g carbs, >=150g fat, >=132g protein to cut fat and maintain lean mass.

I work out, a lot, but once i got into ketosis i was able to maintain my workouts and continue to make strength gains while only eating about 1900 calories a day and i moved to ~40g carbs, 160-180g protein, and the remainder was whatever my fat macro's came out to be. At that caloric level i was losing about 0.6 lbs/day and maintaining my lean mass (i carry around 207lbs of lean mass right now, trying to push that up to around 218-220 lean mass and stay around 235lbs body weight by the end of the year.

That said, if i don't do intermediate fasting, I don't lose weight because my body can't stay sated on 1700-1800 calories/day if i start eating as soon as i get up and inevitably i fail the willpower battle. I'm NEVER hungry in the morning, and while in ketosis i've still got plenty of fat stores to pull fuel from, so i'd coffee it up in the morning but let that burn continue until lunch then eat a big lunch (500-700 calories), and then a big dinner (800-1000 calories after my workout). If my lunch was smaller, I'd do a protein-rich spinach salad for 300-500calories extra eats before i went to the gym.
Notice any performance hit when you were in ketosis? I was doing paleo diet for a few months which is low carb and got me into ketosis but I found I had to add in some carbs like sweet potatoes and oatmeal after a while doing it or my strength failed. Maybe I fucked it up though on the timing of eating or something. It worked really well for me initially though. I killed a lot of fat fast, then tapered off. I had to take a break.

I'll probably go back now and do ketosis and IF, it always works well for me in short bursts.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Notice any performance hit when you were in ketosis? I was doing paleo diet for a few months which is low carb and got me into ketosis but I found I had to add in some carbs like sweet potatoes and oatmeal after a while doing it or my strength failed. Maybe I fucked it up though on the timing of eating or something. It worked really well for me initially though. I killed a lot of fat fast, then tapered off. I had to take a break.

I'll probably go back now and do ketosis and IF, it always works well for me in short bursts.
There's nothing wrong with introducing sweet potato/oatmeal to a paleo/keto diet. Every other week I'm allowed 150-200g of sweet potato post workout.

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
I think it's just a matter of keeping in ketosis though to burn fat. I have my oatmeal in the morning so I'm kinda killing it then and there. It's fine for maintenance though but I'm still a few pounds away from stopping my cut.

I have no idea what any of that even means.Perhaps you should take a break from the keyboard for a bit, instead of posting incomprehensible nonsense.

And I think judging someone purely based on the brand of BCAA they recommended is retarded, ergo you are retarded, retard.
That's because you are stupid. Keep us posted on your progress though, it's riveting stuff.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I already destroyed his argument, if the moron wants to keep spouting the same tripe then it's fine with me.

And yes, I will keep posting my progress.

Yeah except he didn't.

His argument seems to be that body fat calipers (despite them being a tried and tested way to measure body fat % by hundreds of thousands of people worldwide) don't measure body fat but instead measure body water.

He seems to think that because 1 week of 14 I put on increased water weight due to ingestion of carbs that this proves his point. He then quotes the following post to back him up:

"Jan 1st-Feb 5th: Pre-PT, no carbs and a calorie deficit, 1hr of indoor soccer a week = 5kg weight loss (could have been muscle, fat and water)
Feb 5th onwards: Weights 3 x a week, 1 hr of indoor soccer, no carbs and 6 meals a day, no worrying about calories = no weight loss and 4% fat loss."

Anyone that goes on a low carb diet and sticks to it (as I have done 99% of the time) will shed water weight in the first few weeks and keep it off. If they train regularly, eat the right things etc and get their bf measured regularly, the % will surely drop consistently through both burning fat and increasing muscle mass. The low carb diet is keeping the water weight off so how can the calipers measure anything else but body fat?

I had one weekend of eating carbs, this resulted in weight gain composed of water, this naturally had an effect on the overall body fat percentage - not the body fat mass - and arktheseadickhead (who funnily enough has been quiet recently) couldn't wait to jump in, quote the posts he had bookmarked along with the shit meme pic he made in MS Paint and be all "HAAHAHA PROVED U WRONG LOZL"

If anyone else has an explanation for how my weight has stayed in a range of 78-82kg since February and the BF% readings have come down from 23% to 15.8% other than fat loss I would love to hear it, after all you all know so much more than me and my trainer.

Burnesto

Molten Core Raider
Squiggoth comes in and shows the results of his hard work. He did a great job and deserves much praise. Nice work.

Then Ossoi shows up with some look at me I'm an attention whore schtick. Give it up bro. Squiggoth stole your limelight because he's actually done something other than drink coconut oil.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
^Lol, yes, you nailed it.
"If anyone else has an explanation for how my weight has stayed in a range of 78-82kg since February and the BF% readings have come down from 23% to 15.8% other than fat loss I would love to hear it, after all you all know so much more than me and my trainer"

Answer the question

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Then Ossoi shows up with some look at me I'm an attention whore schtick.
Dying to know what makes my bf % measurements not real and what makes his real? Or rather why nobody has tried telling him his results are not accurate. He's reached his goal and rightly gets congratulated, I'm still on my journey fake trainers, inaccurate readings, gallons of coconut oil and worthless BCAAs and all!

Dying to know what makes my bf % measurements not real and what makes his real? Or rather why nobody has tried telling him his results are not accurate. He's reached his goal and rightly gets congratulated, I'm still on my journey fake trainers, inaccurate readings, gallons of coconut oil and worthless BCAAs and all!
Because he isn't a delusional asshole who is such an unintelligent lemming that he can't even see a massive contradiction that he created.

Little attention whore you are, jeeez.

Squiggoth

Golden Squire
Pretty easy to see fat change and track measurements. It's a number that's more meaningful than BMI that's for sure. They have some pretty legit machines they hook me up to at my gym to measure segmental lean development and intra/extra cellular water to assess total lean mass.

Your body fat varies wildly though depending on when and how you measure it. If I go straight from bed to gym and do body comp with no food/activity/etc my bodyfat is 3% higher than if I were to measure it after a heavy workout when I've got a pump going. It's also different when loaded on creatine vs in ketosis.

Low carb isn't about water weight it's about the absence of insulin spikes. Ketosis is different and is a function of the lack of glycogen in your muscles requiring your body to release ketones to prevent going catabolic.

That said on creatine I'm holding more water than in ketosis and I also have glycogen built up when I cycle creatine. The numbers will change depending on when you measure, how you measure, and what cycle you're in. Period.

For me doing basic electrical impedance was equal to calipers, but the stuff they have at my gym for detailed body comp has been the most accurate for me, but I'm exceedingly consistent in terms of what I eat, how I train, when I train, and when I measure based upon my cycle at the time

If anyone wants a brain dump on what I do something, how I train, how I eat, what worked/didn't work. Let me know. I have lots of logs and been at this for awhile