Weight Loss Thread

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'm just trying to picture anyone with more than like 2 sets of dumbbells in their office. That's why I said that sounds ridiculous to me.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm just trying to picture anyone with more than like 2 sets of dumbbells in their office. That's why I said that sounds ridiculous to me.
Well this "office" also has a couch, two recliners, and a 55" LCD TV with a cable feed.. so.. no, not so ridiculous.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Thanks for the response, Elurin. I'm not going to do CrossFit because I've heard of too many idiots injuring themselves, even on this forum. I do have P90X sitting on my hard drive, might try that.

But, I have been reading that marriage thread and I think I found my motivation: keep looking good so my wife doesn't text her tits to some other guy and take my money.

Rydil

Golden Knight of the Realm
Well this "office" also has a couch, two recliners, and a 55" LCD TV with a cable feed.. so.. no, not so ridiculous.
Why not try P90x or Insanity? It will give you a good starting point, and you can create your own dumbbell workout once you are bored with those DVDs.

Rydil

Golden Knight of the Realm
Or just use a laptop. There is a setting on my laptop that lets me play dvds at 1.5 speed so it helps cut down on the hour long workout.

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
You can totally get a good workout with just q couple dumbbells, I'd start with a 10 and a 20, maybe after a week move up to 20 and 30. With the lighter weights do stuff like overhead presse and curls and rows with the heavier weights you can do everything else, squats, chest presses, deadlifts prepare about 30 minutes a day every day at work and different exercises each day. Every 2 weeks after that try to move up 5 lbs.

Ex workout Mon wed Fri squat, overhead press, row 4 repetitions of howevernmany you can do, say 5-10 of each exercise (so 120 total lifts)

Tuesday thursdsy , deadlift, chest press, curl... If you can do more than 10 of each exercise, increase the weight a little. If you can't do 5 of the last rep, go down some weight and then do a 5th rep. Rest 1 minute in between repetitions.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Ok I'm definitely in the deep end here. So spending an hour on the treadmill running is out, but what exactly is "cardio"? And what are the pros and cons of cardio vs strength workouts?

Perhaps I should narrow down also what it is I am aiming for, as other's here, I'm hoping to NOT end up diabetic and in a scooter. But at the same time, I'm not aiming for ripped muscles or running a marathon in good time. I'd like to take the middle road, if possible: Build up some strength and endurance (I get exhausted pretty fast when doing anything strenuous other than walking), look a bit better than I do now, and make myself feel better. I am also not doing this for anyone other than myself.

Are there any good websites out there that give good info on the pros and cons of various types of workouts and diet and stuff like that?

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Cardio (exercise) is basically good for your cardiovascular system (heart, lungs, and everything involved with moving oxygen through your system). The reason so many people look to cardio for weight loss or "getting in shape" is because it burns through calories. Weight loss is a function of calories in being less than calories out. The problem is that doing cardio for extended periods of time can cause loss of muscle. Additionally, if the cardio is running, it's pretty stressful on joints (especially knees).

That's why a lot of people are on the HIIT train (things like intervals/sprints). It allows for the benefits of cardio, less muscle wasting, and is lower impact.

I think the biggest advantage of strength training over cardio is that by doing strength training, you increase the amount of lean muscle mass in your body. This, in turn, increases your basal metabolic rate -- meaning you burn calories even when you're not working out. Cardio doesn't do this. In fact, it may slow your metabolism (due to loss of muscle mass). On top of that, muscle mass causes your body to look different. When people say they want to looked more "toned" what they really mean is they want to look more muscular (people just don't really understand what muscle looks like).

All that said, there's no reason to just do one or the other. You can (and should) incorporate cardio and strength training. That may be something that you add in later though. If you're overweight, I think the first thing you should do is fix your diet. Figure out how to count calories and learn how to manipulate what you're eating to lose weight. That link above is actually a really good overview of everything you should eventually know. The 80/20 rule is absolutely true, and that's why my other post where I said the majority of my time is spent on diet is so important. You can fuck around in the gym with a great diet and make progress. You can also have a workout routine that is absolutely 100% perfect for your body and a shitty diet, and you won't make any progress.

Anyway, once you've got diet figured out, incorporate strength training or cardio. Then later on add the other. If you try to do all 3 you'll spin out and quit.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Well, this obese, worthless piece of shit colleague of mine who fell a couple months ago in the bathroom and ruptured her achilles tendon fell AGAIN today outside her apartment and is going to the hospital AGAIN, which means more work for me AGAIN. She probably slipped on ice, because she mentioned yesterday that her apartment complex hadn't salted the sidewalks. If she weren't morbidly obese slipping on ice wouldn't need to result in a trip to the hospital and several weeks of "working" from home.

There's some motivation for anyone who needs it: don't be a fat fuck, because fat fucks suffer serious physical injury from things that only bruise the egos of normal people.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Don't be silly, skinny people injure themselves falling all the time. Fat people have more cushion for the impact.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
The real problem is that fat people can't hoist themselves back up and end up falling like 4 or 5 times. Fat slobs.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Lmfao.

Haven't worked out in over a month now. But I finish school this week so I'll be signing up for a new gym next week and trying to manage my time better next semester.