Weird interview/job offer experiences?

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Cool. I just wanted to make sure that it wouldn't be essentially laughed out of the interview for asking or approaching something like a $10k bump in salary but then again, they don't know I know the basic starting price. Then again since it is a type of "dream job" maybe people are just too afraid to ask for a higher salary and thus no one ever pushes it. Thanks E

I asked this in the "Asking For A Raise Thread" but anyone got any good online resources for researching average salary ranges in a certain field / geo location based on experience etc.?
I guess I missed it, but unless you already work for them how do they even know what you make now to compare it to? Someone once tried to make me an offer based on what they thought my house cost. LOL.

I guess because I have never worked in the corporate world I never worried about. Ask what you want to make with a little wiggle room. If they can't come up with it move on. But I guess I am in the 1% minority. I work for what I think I am worth, not an average of people that I have no idea how desperate they are.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I guess I missed it, but unless you already work for them how do they even know what you make now to compare it to? Someone once tried to make me an offer based on what they thought my house cost. LOL.
Haha. They probably hear a lot of people using how much their house costs as the focal point for why they need more compensation. Maybe they were hoping that because some people think that's relevant they'd be willing to take a pay cut if they had an inexpensive house
wink.png

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
So I had an interview with a company that reached out to me a few weeks ago. After the interview I was sent a massive amount of online tests to take. Jesus fuck, like three hours worth.

Deductive reasoning assessment, Numerical, Verbal, and a couple personality assessments.

I think I did well with all of them except for the Numerical, which only gave you about 60 seconds to complete each answer (20 minutes for 20 questions). They were fairly basic practical math questions, but required a bit of graph analysis, chart reading etc and felt like 60 seconds is about 30 seconds short for me to feel totally comfortable with my answer. By the time I had about 5 questions left I only had maybe two minutes left.

So I have to ask - do you think they do this on purpose? See what happens when the stress is on? Or do you think they really feel "yeah one minute is good".

Vinen

God is dead
So I had an interview with a company that reached out to me a few weeks ago. After the interview I was sent a massive amount of online tests to take. Jesus fuck, like three hours worth.

Deductive reasoning assessment, Numerical, Verbal, and a couple personality assessments.

I think I did well with all of them except for the Numerical, which only gave you about 60 seconds to complete each answer (20 minutes for 20 questions). They were fairly basic practical math questions, but required a bit of graph analysis, chart reading etc and felt like 60 seconds is about 30 seconds short for me to feel totally comfortable with my answer. By the time I had about 5 questions left I only had maybe two minutes left.

So I have to ask - do you think they do this on purpose? See what happens when the stress is on? Or do you think they really feel "yeah one minute is good".

Sounds like a shitty company. What industry?

Khane

Got something right about marriage
NFL or some clandestine military consulting firm?

What job requires analyzing numerical data under the gun with no time to spare?

EDIT: Nevermind, question answered. Sounds like the people who came up with this interview process might be retarded.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I wonder if some board member's relative owns a hiring consulting firm that creates these tests.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>

On purpose. They probably just want to see how far you can get. Given infinite time, 90% of the candidates would probably get them all right. But with those time restraints it's about how fast you can get to the right answer. Now, I don't know why an HVAC company would need that. Maybe the owner is a brainiac

I wonder if some board member's relative owns a hiring consulting firm that creates these tests.

You mean Vaclav Vaclav ?

• 1Worf

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
So all these tests that I thought I flunked ... apparently I did just fine. Next interview being scheduled.

The last scenario based math assessment I did I didn't even look at the clock. I just worked out each scenario until I knew I had the right answer. Finished 11 out of 18 questions before the timer was up. Fuck it.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm

I work in HR, but not with family. And standardized tests in hiring are bullshit IMO - might work for places like Amazon that hire thousands in a day, but for any normal business that doesn't go through employees like a thresher it's pointless, I get a better feel with in-person "testing" if there's any doubts. (Not that I'll often bother, following up on resume details is usually enough for me - or for background requiring ones at the current field, that often has most of my work already done)

Honestly, Adebisi Adebisi , I'd look down at any employer that uses such testing as "serious" - admittedly I've only done HR for three companies to date (and one was executive hires, thus quite narrow) - but bullshit testing like that just feels to me like they expect to need a constant influx of employees that they can't afford to figure out their quality level on a one-on-one basis. (Or they have no confidence in their HR folks to evaluate candidate quality, I suppose)

Hopefully it's a good job for you, but that sort of stuff just feels like clownshoes (for the business) from my standpoint.

(But then again, I always have learned to hate metrics in general - I'd rather have employees with a good attitude and good attendance habits but mediocre metrics over someone with a shitty attitude or constant attendance issues with awesome metrics - it's hard to make a metric for reliability and lack of drama without feeling someone out in-person especially since metrics can easily improve, but reliability generally peaks on day 1 and descends after)

• 1Solidarity

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Apparently I'm supposed to meet with their psychologist over the phone.

AM I JOINING THE FBI? WHAT'S GOING ON HERE

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I'd be in charge of creating a centralized knowledge base for all their inventory tools or something.

I'm a desk jockey.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Apparently I'm supposed to meet with their psychologist over the phone.

AM I JOINING THE FBI? WHAT'S GOING ON HERE

It's to make sure you have the right political opinions and say your three Hail Trudeaus every day.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
Reading through this thread has made me glad on two points. That I've never failed to get an offer after an interview for a job I wanted, and that I have never had a crazy interview like some of the above stuff.

I'm also grateful for my 12 hour a week, 30k a year job that lets me live the life I'm leading. I could work more for more money, but who the hell would want to?

• 1Solidarity

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I'd be in charge of creating a centralized knowledge base for all their inventory tools or something.

I'm a desk jockey.

What kind of payscale we talking about? (versus norms for the field up there - i.e. +10% over norm - please don't answer in Canadabux since that means nothing to me) This seems like a ton of horseshit to jump through if it's not exceptional pay for the field.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Reading through this thread has made me glad on two points. That I've never failed to get an offer after an interview for a job I wanted, and that I have never had a crazy interview like some of the above stuff.

I'm also grateful for my 12 hour a week, 30k a year job that lets me live the life I'm leading. I could work more for more money, but who the hell would want to?
Someone with ambitions greater than Sean?

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users