Weird sleep issue

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
So I run my own business and as such make my own hours, so I don't have a good sleep schedule, but I do get a lot of sleep - Most days I get 8-10 hours, and I never get less than 6. I wake up anywhere from 9am to 1pm, nap for 2 hours a day or so, and go to bed anywhere between midnight and 4am. Definitely an unusual schedule. Despite this, once I fall asleep, I sleep quite soundly and wake up feeling refreshed and ready to tackle the day. I do not suffer fatigue during the day.

However, I have a strange issue when I sleep - it matches what sleep apnea is kinda but I know its not because I've already been to a sleep doctor who's confirmed I don't have it and that my breathing is normal when I sleep. When I first lay down to start falling asleep, I occasionally get that feeling of suddenly being scared and have to gasp for air. It's as if my body "forgets" that I don't have enough oxygen and needs to gasp for it, even though I am pretty sure I'm breathing the whole time. Think of it this way - if you are afraid of heights imagine standing on top of a tall building 1,500 feet high. You're in the middle on the roof but there are no barriers to prevent you from falling to the side. Suddenly, a gust of air comes and pushes you just slightly toward the edge. You're still well away from the side, but that jolt of "scared" feeling is how it feels like. If I consciously try to think about it and wait for it to happen it never does. Once I actually fall asleep though, it never happens - I've never been awoken because of it - and if I do get up to do business, I can crawl back into bed and fall asleep no issue at all. This is only when I just start to fall asleep.

Any ideas? My doctor seems to think that because of my sleep schedule, my brain is actually very active when I am lying down, and its all the "thoughts" of the day that go on in my head, some might just cause this response, even if its nothing actually scary. It's just my brain trying to keep me awake and thinking.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Could be sleep paralysis. You could have central sleep apnea. It has happened to me randomly a few times where I awake and am gasping for air.

iannis

Musty Nester
Are you a fatty? I'm not meaning to be rude or HAHA, FATTY. It's just that if you're a fatty that's probably the culprit -- and it's being expressed in anxiety. Because you know, the brain works with the tools that it has.

Otherwise, it sounds like anxiety attacks. Very small ones that don't effect your waking mind, it's well in hand, but as you relax into sleep they're cropping up. And that could be from a lot of things -- mental stress, physical stress -- it's basically what your doctor said. A more regular sleep schedule actually would help to contain those. Habits are powerful things.

Failing all that -- there is a time proven solution to this problem. A nightcap. I wouldn't say it's the healthiest option available, but it is tried and true.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Weird, I've never felt more stress free in my entire life, and I can fall asleep easily (as long as I get through the few air gasps). But I suppose that could be it. I'm overweight, though not obese. That's just so weird why I'd have that kinda thing, though now that you mention it I didn't feel this way until my second kiddo was born like 2 months ago. So that very well may be it. It's just strange, its a nightly thing.

haha agreed on the nightcap, I'll give that a shot. =)

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
I was hoping for a sequel to the Uberman thread. How about you switch to polyphasic sleep and see if it solves your problem and entertains us? Everybody wins.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
If you are overweight, you are essentially asking for sleep apnea. Less room for air to get through the airway. Hope you get it figured out -- nothing worse than not being able to breathe. -.-

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Alad I have trouble sleeping too. What I do is drink a herbal tea ( sleepy time) and a melatonin 1 hour before bed. Works usually quite well.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Incentive to trade it for hooker favors?
No favors and if you were here in my city and had a pain you were complaining about on a Friday night and that it wasn't bad enough for the ER but you can't get into your doc until Monday I would leave them on my doorstop for you also. It's just the friendly thing to do.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
No favors and if you were here in my city and had a pain you were complaining about on a Friday night and that it wasn't bad enough for the ER but you can't get into your doc until Monday I would leave them on my doorstop for you also. It's just the friendly thing to do.
You're a terrific dealer, a_skeleton_03ger. I hope you stay cancer free.

iannis

Musty Nester
I've also taken to listening to physics lectures online to help me get to sleep.

Listening to a mathematician drone on dryly about shit that I honestly don't completely understand and would need a pencil and paper to keep pace with... it lulls me.

So what if sometimes I get very obstinate about the scale factor being time dependent while grocery shopping. Sacrifices must be made.

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
If you've done a sleep study, then I'd agree it's not apnea. You say when you wake you feel rested and refreshed so your body is getting oxygen. I have apnea(just diagnosed) and I feel exhausted all day no matter how much sleep I get. I don't have any experience with the other suggestions here.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
It's only at home. Went to bed at like 3:30am exhausted last night though. Woke up at 10:30am, and here I am ready to tackle the day and move mountains heh. I only had one episode last night though.

I have some melatonin 5mg, but my concern there is that I really don't have a problem falling, nor staying asleep. It's simply the episodes of these attacks as I'm falling asleep. It's not something that keeps me up all night or anything. I usually have anywhere from 3-5 of them a night and then I'm out until I awake in the morning. More and more I'm believing that its just some anxiety attacks and I just need to figure out wtf they are from and make them stop. I don't think off the top of my head why I'd have them over anything other than the fact I have two kids 3.5 years and 2 months old, but even so my wife and her mom take care of all the "shit" stuff with the kids, leaving me to always do the fun shit. I have no reason to be stressed about my kids, at all.

iannis

Musty Nester
anxiety doesn't always make sense, and if that's what it is (if) and it's only happening at the brink of sleep... it really doesn't make a lot of sense.

try the melatonin one night, see if it mitigates or relieves the episode. It might it might not but melatonin isn't going to do anything bad to you.

Except for you might wake up black. But that's more of a concern around 15-20mg. You're probably fine.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I'm a chronic insomniac, and it has periodically because I've woken up gasping for air. No reason for it - I'm not over weight, I have decent blood pressure, I am in good shape, I get plenty of exercise every day....And, thought I struggle to say it, I agree with a_skeleton_03. Ambien has made my life better. Especially the Controlled Release variety.

But if you're getting plenty of hours of sleep and are still tired, perhaps there is something else. Get your blood pressure checked, have them listen to your heart. Don't fuck around with this, seek a doctor's help.