Westworld

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Rewatching this for the first time since original airings. So many god damn plotholes even in season 1, when watched with knowledge of future twists...

Also, re-reading the thread as I go. Lol @ everyone mocking Woolygimp when he wrote an elaborate post after just episode 3 detailing the evidence for two timelines and William being the Man in Black.

RIP you beautiful bastard.

• 7Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 7 users

iannis

Musty Nester
Don't watch season two.

S1 is very good. Top notch, it really is. S2 has maybe two good episodes.

• 4Solidarity
  • 4Like
Reactions: 7 users

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Season 2 sucked. Loved 1. In the 3rd episode of the second season, (struggled through it much later to finish the season) I turned it off and watched the movie.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Show ended at last ep of season 1. The rest was an accidental abortion.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
William is the Man in Black.

It's fucking confirmed. Why? The logo's.

When William arrives at the park, the logo for Westworld is the original one used during the flashback when they were first creating the hosts. The flashback when Ford was explaining Arnold to Bernard.
William is obviously in a much older version of the park. There are other hints such as the bullet, the train being newer, and the narratives being different.

View attachment 94953

This is the only logo you see with William. With every other character on the show, including the MiB, you see the much newer logo:
View attachment 94954

The actor who plays William has facial features very, very similar to Ed Harris (if you throw 30 years into the mix). So yeah, not a theory anymore.

So the MiB is not Arnold trying to become immortal and set his "creations" loose.

"These violent delights (the guest's gratification within the park) have violent ends..." is from Romeo & Juliet and is perhaps the biggest piece of foreshadowing we've seen yet. Shit is going to get messy. True phrase is from Act 2 of Romeo and Juliet and is, ""These violent delights have violent ends. And in their triumph die, like fire and powder."

Humanity has created artificial intelligence at this point. They've become gods. They've basically mastered the mysteries and secrets to life, and if there's any accomplishment which could be considered a triumph it would be that. That would be the greatest triumph that our species could achieve.

"in their triumph die, like fire and powder." Think about it. "In their triumph." Humanity triumphs by creating artificial intelligence and then gets destroyed. It's not stopping with the park denizens, the entire human race is probably up for extinction by the end. The host kill the staff and take control of the faculties necessary to reproduce other androids and they have the means to create an army.

This isn't going to be a story about a park going wild and a few people dying, this is going to be a story about AI exterminating humanity.
Bump so other people don't have to search Wooly's post out.

• 5Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Season 2 sucked. Loved 1. In the 3rd episode of the second season, (struggled through it much later to finish the season) I turned it off and watched the movie.

Feels weird to quit on such a big budget show, especially from HBO, a few episodes into a bad season... But I couldn't make it past episode 6 of the 2nd season. 1st season was fantastic, season 2 was just, boring. Never seen a show with such a large swing.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Damn. I'm going to have to dig through the GoT thread once the series finishes to see if Wooly wasn't so crazy afterall.

throughout it's history, wooly was the biggest loss this forum has ever had. we'll never recover, dude was the real deal

• 3Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Haus

<Silver Donator>
I agree with the synopsis of "Just stop after season 1 and you'll always be happy with it".

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I agree with the synopsis of "Just stop after season 1 and you'll always be happy with it".
I really liked the set of Samurai World and the japs, they made the og crew look like amateurs, also surprisingly liked akecheta's story... but thats like 20% of the season, the rest was.

ugh...

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
i never actually watched season 2. was there even any nudity? i never saw any mention of it anywhere

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Maybe it'll be awesome with season 3.

Look at "The Wire". Season 2 was such a huge change from season 1 that people hate it, but overall, it fits very well into the full picture. Maybe Westworld will have the same thing?

It probably won't, but maybe.

• 2Like

iannis

Musty Nester
They halfassed too many high concepts. Dolores, maeve, and Bernard could have each been 5-7 hours of concept. Then they had two other big sociological threads beyond that. Then they tossed in tangents.

Just a pile of unfocused mush that tries to say everything but is either incoherent or vapid, depending on the timestamp. That's why s1 is so good, it feels unfocused but interesting until the final hour and then you see it's very tightly focused indeed.

We can hope. s2 still mostly -looked- good.

But there is a difference between it and the wire. With the wire we hated 2 because we wanted to see more of the 1 characters. The concept though was tight all the way through. We wanted Simmons to indulge us in the soap opera and got mad he didnt. Westworld actually did.

Sometimes were not right!

• 2Like

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
It’s turned into SJW trash. It will never be redeemed.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Campbell1oo4

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Finished Season 1. Pretty good. Not amazing. I enjoyed it.

I'm not going to even touch Season 2. Too much hate for it on the internet. I learned my lesson with LOST.

• 3Solidarity
  • 2Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Sometimes were not right!

Usually we're not right. The worst thing you can do as an artist/writer is to try to give the audience what they want. Guaranteed shit if you do that. That's why network TV is such garbage. Written by committee, then put in front of test audiences and adjusted to what they like. It's not art, it's just manufactured garbage. I don't really think that's what happened to Westworld exactly, but that's a formula for trash writing.

I think S2 tried for too many high concept ideas and forgot to make us give a shit about the characters and the plot. It was ambitious, but ultimately not good. I bet there are folks who could write a book about all symbolism and archetypal characters in S2, but I still don't want to watch it. I was totally ambivalent about Season 2 after the first episode. I forced myself to watch the rest of the season hoping it would improve but even the finale sat on my DVR for a week because it felt like homework.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
  • 1Solidarity

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The standalone, non-sequitur Native American episode was the only thing good they did in season 2.

As time goes on, the only thing I really appreciate from this show is the soundtrack.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users