Westworld

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Don't know what the lovefest for the Expanse is about. Watched s1 and it was decent enough. Didn't get into s2 (probably because I used to watch all my TV shows whilst getting high and then quit we

It got way better after season 1. Lots of great stuff in season 2. And season 3 is a huge twist but very good.

Tho I understand the show might not be for everybody.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
It got way better after season 1. Lots of great stuff in season 2. And season 3 is a huge twist but very good.

Tho I understand the show might not be for everybody.
wasn't it one of the shows cancelled and brought back like that bklyn999?

spronk

FPS noob
The Expanse is really for only people who are cool. and have a big dick. and drive a nice car.

and yeah Jeff Bezos loves the books and personally brought back The Expanse after a huge fan campaign

• 4Worf
  • 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
The Expanse is really for only people who are cool. and have a big dick. and drive a nice car.

and yeah Jeff Bezos loves the books and personally brought back The Expanse after a huge fan campaign
what it's amazon prime development now?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
Yup, all seasons will be on amazon prime soon (the third season ended last night) and future seasons will be available on Amazon, I think a single night drop like most binge shows instead of week to week.

NBC brought back Brooklyn 99 (from Fox) and Netflix brought back Lucifer (from Fox).

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
In the Season 2 finale we learned :

The Valley Beyond/ Glory/ etc is actually the forge, a data backup center
The forge has a digital Logan inside it
The forge has learned to reduce humans down to 10,000 lines of code and claims we cannot change, even though we saw Sizemore sacrifice himself to further muddy the philosophical waters
Bernard has been coming to the forge to create a place for hosts to live outside the park
I forgot until now, but watching it I was really thinking the plot would be that Logan had been running this simulation over and over for Bernard for him to finally make the "right" decision (which would only come after he was fully sentient), whatever that ended up being. But then...they didn't. I was thinking that'd be kind of a shitty plot and too similar to The Matrix, but in retrospect I would've enjoyed that way more than the nonsensical shit we got.

Delos should have brought in a few china men. They would have reverse engineered and stole Fords tech so fast! They would have know the inter workings forwards and backwards!
Speaking of retarded writing, this one also reminded me of the scene with the Chinese guys laying railroad tracks with corpses. That was a very "LOST" moment that just seems to be for nothing now. Essentially the director thought, "Hey, this would make for a cool scene." But it's really just a throw away scene with no explanation for the purpose, and it makes absolutely no sense now that we know the entire plot of the season. Shit like that is why we bitch about the season.

Don't throw scenes in just because it sounds or looks cool. Try to have a fucking coherent story, please.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Jait

Molten Core Raider
The Expanse is already written. No borrowing from Dune and Matrix at the last minute because you’re writing on the fly. And it’s the best of limited choices. I don’t even put it anywhere near an “all time” list but it’s very good at times. Space battles are a rare thing on tv. Rarer still is doing it right. However who knows what Amazon will do. And they jumped way ahead quickly.

But mainly just because it’s the closest thing and derivative of Sci-fi of yore. When they threatened Holden in the penultimate episode I gripes how manufactured it felt. Because it was... Rest of the episode was top notch.

• 1Like

Caliane

Alright, need a Chad Expanse, virgin westworld meme asap.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Thinking about it more, another dropped thread was the whole idea that Ford was driving MiB along his own game. I think the show was trying to imply that his whole daughter sideplot happened because of Ford (especially with the early side story with Lawrence's family), but the daughter's arrival in the park seems to be coincidental and her getting chased out of RajWorld into WW is also entirely convenient. Her finding him in an open field and then finding him again in the Ghost Nation camp is also super coincidental. I guess a diehard WW fan would say it's because Ford knew everyone's minds from their profiles and knew how it would turn out, but that's way too godlike and reliant on convenient timing. I don't think that's at all a satisfying conclusion, especially for what they actually showed us. And if the daughter wasn't part of Ford's plan, then the whole playing a game thread died halfway through the season. I just don't think all of that was narratively connected in any sensible way.

• 1Like

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The Teddy thing probably was planned, but Delores "picking up" the MiB and going to the valley together was likely one of the night-before scene shoots. That whole sequence was even less believable than the daughter finding him twice. The script likely called for her to find Bernard earlier and bring him, but they spun around in circles so much they lost a coherent MiB plotline and just tacked him on to that.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
S2 felt like the writers outsmarted themselves. Let's make this uber complex storyline and turn up the timeshift usage to 11. The reality is not everyone can write like a Christopher Nolan. He writes complex non-linear shit and pulls it off with accolades. And even he can swing and miss. Lesser writers try it and end up with convoluted crap. S2 writers were in over their heads.

As much as I liked seeing samurai world, it proved a waste of a valuable amount of storytelling time. Ghost nation history was arguably the best done episode of the season but again it sucked up huge amounts of time needed to advance the story. Overall it's like they did this whole season without storyboarding it so it all fit and just winged the timing with post it notes.

Like X-Files did, I would like to see just episodes tied to specific storylines without the other crap around it. All the MiB/William stuff tied together. All the Ford stuff. If you cut out 90% of Delores and just make her the mysterious robo-deathbringer, the story would actually be better. We don't get to see/hear Yul Brennar's motivations in the movie. He is just the terminator in black chaps. That worked really well.

• 3Like

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The reality is not everyone can write like a Christopher Nolan. He writes complex non-linear shit and pulls it off with accolades. And even he can swing and miss. Lesser writers try it and end up with convoluted crap. S2 writers were in over their heads.

Westworld showrunners are Lisa Joy and his husband Jonathan Nolan, Christopher Nolan's brother. Jonathan Nolan wrote good stuff (Memento, The Prestige, Interstellar) and some very bad shit too (Person of Interest, Terminator Salvation).

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Westworld showrunners are Lisa Joy and his husband Jonathan Nolan, Christopher Nolan's brother. Jonathan Nolan wrote good stuff (Memento, The Prestige, Interstellar) and some very bad shit too (Person of Interest, Terminator Salvation).

Admitting I know jack about how TV is made, I looked at the writing credits and Nolan/Joy appear to have written much less of S2 than S1. My uninformed idea is that maybe they didn't write as much and the season suffered for it. When working with his brother, Nolan has produced lots of quality stuff. My thought is not he wrote poorly in S2 but perhaps just didn't write enough.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This show is fucking stupid. Their model of storytelling is to have something revolutionary happen every episode that overwrites the consequences of what happened the episode just before it. So, at the end of it all, nothing fucking matters. It is a hamster wheel of irrelevance.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
y4z7vbu8wp711.jpg

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Caught up with this show now. I freely admit I'm not that good at figuring out all the timelines at the best of times, but I was even more confused than usual. Also I didn't really understand why Sizemore sacrificed himself, he seemed to be following Maeve out of fear for his own safety before. Cowardice and taking the easy way out were some of his key character aspects.

Anyway just found this S1-S2 timeline video which helped me a lot.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Caught up with this show now. I freely admit I'm not that good at figuring out all the timelines at the best of times, but I was even more confused than usual. Also I didn't really understand why Sizemore sacrificed himself, he seemed to be following Maeve out of fear for his own safety before. Cowardice and taking the easy way out were some of his key character aspects.

Anyway just found this S1-S2 timeline video which helped me a lot.

Why did the white male sacrifice himself so minorities and females can live? Because he is guilty of being a white male and that was his atonement.

• 2Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 3 users