What are you playing?

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
There's actually a Zelda 2 randomizer and a small community of people around it that have speedrun competitions.

The maps get all randomized and the loot can be in some crazy places.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I’m an unabashed zelda fanboy. Decided to get the DS games based on windwaker. Holy fuck. They are pricey.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I’m an unabashed zelda fanboy. Decided to get the DS games based on windwaker. Holy fuck. They are pricey.

Having played every Zelda game except the CD-I ones, Skyward Sword, and the latest two on Switch...

The two on DS were absolutely my least-favorite Zeldas. They're like 10 hours long, but feel like they're 30 because they sure are tedious to play. They forced stylus controls with both of them. You can't even move with the D-pad. About the only thing going for them is that they have Wind Waker graphics (just nowhere near as nice, DS is pixelated AF) for people who like that style. The shoehorned-in gimmick controls totally ruined both these games. Spirit Tracks is probably the better of the two technically, but by the end I disliked it even more than the first. Only went through both because I loved Zelda and wanted to play all of them.

If someone wants a good retro Zelda that they probably missed, a hidden gem is Four Swords Adventures on Gamecube (so it'll also play on Wii). It's almost like an LTTP remake in that it uses the same game world, only remastered and expanded. 1 to 4 players. Not a stylus or motion control in sight. Was a total joy.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Having played every Zelda game except the CD-I ones, Skyward Sword, and the latest two on Switch...

The two on DS were absolutely my least-favorite Zeldas. They're like 10 hours long, but feel like they're 30 because they sure are tedious to play. They forced stylus controls with both of them. You can't even move with the D-pad. About the only thing going for them is that they have Wind Waker graphics (just nowhere near as nice, DS is pixelated AF) for people who like that style. The shoehorned-in gimmick controls totally ruined both these games. Spirit Tracks is probably the better of the two technically, but by the end I disliked it even more than the first. Only went through both because I loved Zelda and wanted to play all of them.

If someone wants a good retro Zelda that they probably missed, a hidden gem is Four Swords Adventures on Gamecube (so it'll also play on Wii). It's almost like an LTTP remake in that it uses the same game world, only remastered and expanded. 1 to 4 players. Not a stylus or motion control in sight. Was a total joy.
I bought one of them. If I lose the bid on the second I’ll wait to get it then. I assumed they were great based on demand.

last one I played that felt retro was a link between worlds. It was pretty damn good.

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
I bought the War of the Chosen DLC for XCOM2 at $3 during the BF sales. Definitely one of the best returns on investment I have made on Steam.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I bought the War of the Chosen DLC for XCOM2 at $3 during the BF sales. Definitely one of the best returns on investment I have made on Steam.
Xcom2 is one of the best games Ive played, yet when I think of good games I passively forget about it. That expansion was top notch, too.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I picked up XCom and DLC's on Xbox on BF sale. It's one of those games that I feel like I need to get around to playing some day and would likely really enjoy

• 1Like

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
LEGO Fortnite is pretty wild.

1701971147885.png

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Bought Darkest Dungeon for the PS5, think it was like 5 bucks. Really enjoying it. Bought the available DLCs for it too.

• 1Like

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Playing Shining Force and Shining Force 2 for the umpteenth time, for research purposes. Two of my all-time favorite games ever, across all genres/platforms. I stumbled across Pirate Software on YouTube thanks to him blowing up a couple weeks back, and a 45 minute spiel of his convinced me that the stuff keeping me from finally making the spiritual successor SF game I've dreamt of making for 30 years was all bullshit. Hopefully in a year or two I'll be asking you bros to help playtest my game.

Update here: I'm building out the systems with a plan to have a workable and polished demo by Q2 2024. Tentative timeline from there is Early Access by Q4 2024 (purpose of early access being testing, since I'm one guy), release Q4 2025. Two years should be a reasonable timeline to do this justice. I think I have a good resource for art (niece), the only thing that might be a big sticking point is music/sound.

That Pirate Software guy is up to over 1mil subs on Youtube (up from 13k 1.5 months ago). Fucking wild.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
I was pretty hooked on Medieval Dynasty for a bit there - all the building of an old town and handling the seasons, townspeople, chores, etc in a first person environment was neat. I just did the open world one and avoided the story version. I eventually got tired of it though, because I pretty much figured everything out and it was just a matter of building up skills over a long period of time. Then I hit some kind of ceiling where I couldn't recruit new people to my town without enough reputation, and every time I recruited a new person the rep for another person jumped up again. It had me doing dumb quests over and over just to gain rep, so I gave up on it.

I've been trying to keep an RPG "on the side" lately, something I play a little to grind levels and beat bosses, explore dungeons, etc. I finished up Labyrinth of Zangetsu on the Switch the other day. Its created in the old Swords+Serpents first person dungeon crawler style, but with a Japanese theme. The monsters are all crazy designs like yokai. You can level up multiple classes on each character as long as stats hit the requirements. A tough element of the game is that its possible to lose characters permanently. You can revive them, but sometimes the rezzes at the temple aren't able to save them and they're lost. There's also a harder element of the game you can play where if your party is wiped, their corpses remain where they died and you have to recruit new people, level them up, etc and go find the previous team's bodies. Better hope they accept the rez when you get them back to the temple!

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
I was playing Chained Echoes, got to the last boss and had the optional side-boss available, only a few squares left fill out on that grid, realized I was gonna have to do a bunch of farming to upgrade my weapons and armour and shit, and just stopped playing...
I've done this a handful of times with games, quit right at the finish line.

Next it's either Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth or Persona 3: Reload.
I am hesitant on Persona 3: Reload because of the possible "Golden" or "Royal" version that might come out eventually.

I am also not comfortable paying over 100$ Canadian for a video game especially since I play so little now that I have taken up a new addiction (gemcutting).
However, at the same time, the video game addiction is still there and I gots to playing something on the side or I end up spending to much time on FoH.

Decisions, decisions.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Next it's either Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth or Persona 3: Reload.
I am hesitant on Persona 3: Reload because of the possible "Golden" or "Royal" version that might come out eventually.

I am also not comfortable paying over 100$ Canadian for a video game especially since I play so little now that I have taken up a new addiction (gemcutting).
However, at the same time, the video game addiction is still there and I gots to playing something on the side or I end up spending to much time on FoH.

Decisions, decisions.

Get Persona 3 on gamepass, it was a day one release there. That's a long one, depending on how much you play, Infinite Wealth might be getting close to getting to a gamepass release (all other Yakuza games are, so it will be as well). A "Royal" version of Persona 3 is probably years away.

Edit: Currently playing Infinite Wealth and Persona 3. Have 20+ hours in Enshrouded as well, really liked that game.

• 1Like

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
Get Persona 3 on gamepass, it was a day one release there. That's a long one, depending on how much you play, Infinite Wealth might be getting close to getting to a gamepass release (all other Yakuza games are, so it will be as well). A "Royal" version of Persona 3 is probably years away.
I was thinking of playing on the ps5 so I can be sociable to my family, my computer and faceting machine are in the same room and I barely come out because I am a fucking cave troll at heart.

I do keep forgetting Gamepass for pc exists and need to to remember to check that whenever I am thinking of playing something on pc so thanks for the reminder.

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Currently playing PS5 FF7 Remake , didn't do the DLC when it first came out as I only had the PS4 version. I'm replying the main game now. Chapter 14 and last night decided to stop doing all the side quests since it reads like you cannot carry over items anyhow, then going to play the DLC.