What are you playing?

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
I've been playing and enjoying the new Prince of Persia : The Lost Crown, on Switch (it's also on PC, PS5 and Xbox). I didn't really follow news about this game but I heard good things around release in january and was surprised to realize it was a Metroidvania which is a genre I love. It runs at 60 FPS very smoothly even on Switch, I think the graphics look great and the gameplay is fast-paced and solid, combat is very cool, and the story has been great. However there's a few glitches at this time, slowly being patched out (like accepting some sidequests can cause the game to freeze and you have to quit/reload) but also some larger gamebreaking bugs (though quite rare, as far as I could read). I'd wait for a little bit for them to iron those bugs out but I definitely recommend the game.

For what it's worth in my own playthrough (I'm right before the final boss) I had one sidequest-accept that froze me up once then worked fine, a few crashes when speaking to one specific NPC, and there is a sidequest that seems to freeze everyone and is being patched soon probably), but other than that it's been a very good experience, the bugs are on optional content as far as I can tell.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Metalhead

Blackwing Lair Raider
Currently playing PS5 FF7 Remake , didn't do the DLC when it first came out as I only had the PS4 version. I'm replying the main game now. Chapter 14 and last night decided to stop doing all the side quests since it reads like you cannot carry over items anyhow, then going to play the DLC.
Doing the extra VR battles post game are really fun. The Yuffie DLC is kinda whatever but it also adds another fight for the main party afterwards. Also Fort Condor is pretty great, I hope they continue that in the second game.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Currently playing PS5 FF7 Remake , didn't do the DLC when it first came out as I only had the PS4 version. I'm replying the main game now. Chapter 14 and last night decided to stop doing all the side quests since it reads like you cannot carry over items anyhow, then going to play the DLC.

Chapter 14 is a good time to stop and do the DLC. It takes place at about the same time as Chapter 13 or so IIRC, and it's two chapters.

The side quests are alright. But yeah there isn't much point unless you want to do everything and it sounds like that isn't your objective here.

Know what would suck? If the Elden Ring DLC surprise-dropped on the 25th. What am I supposed to choose to play? FF7 is a couple days after that. My two most-awaited things this year. Not sure what I'll do.

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Chapter 14 is a good time to stop and do the DLC. It takes place at about the same time as Chapter 13 or so IIRC, and it's two chapters.

The side quests are alright. But yeah there isn't much point unless you want to do everything and it sounds like that isn't your objective here.

Know what would suck? If the Elden Ring DLC surprise-dropped on the 25th. What am I supposed to choose to play? FF7 is a couple days after that. My two most-awaited things this year. Not sure what I'll do.
ER 100%

• 2Like
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 2 users

velk

Trakanon Raider
I've been alternating between Cosmoteer and Trouble Shooter.

Cosmoteer is like a cross between factorio and starsector. It's nominally a space combat game, kill pirates, mine stuff, upgrade your ship etc; but the bulk of the game is really in ship design, which is the factorio part. You build ships block by block in whatever shape etc you want, but apart from the usual mass/thrust tradeoff, everything is abstracted to your crew members doing stuff. Like to power a laser, you need to have a reactor, and crew assigned to carrying batteries from the reactor to the laser, as well as crew member to fire the laser. It's a little strange, but it adds a strong optimization layer to ship building, with travel times and routing becoming very important.

It's my current record holder for fastest time to game over on normal difficulty - I picked a starter ship, launched from station, attacked a nearby pirate hunter and got blown out of the sky, all in less than 20 seconds ;p

It took me a bit to get into it - there's some significant skill required in ship building, and you will fail - a lot - at 'improving' your starter ship to begin with, but I am enjoying it. If ship building isn't your thing, technically you can just add some of the hundreds of ship designs other people did from steam workshop and just swap to those when you have the crew/resources, but I am not sure that space combat part by itself is really in-depth enough to make a full game.

Trouble Shooter is basically an anime version of x-com. The SWAT teams, struggling with huge numbers of super powered criminals, call in teenage vigilantes to help them out. The premise is pretty silly, especially having the troubleshooters as independent businesses and stuff like 'arresting' criminals with a frag grenade or a two-handed sword to the face.

The gameplay itself is great fun though, the combat part has all the usual stuff you'd expect from x-com style games with elevation, cover, etc, but adds in colorful characters with various super powers. Each of the team members also has a choice of three different classes, various equipment slots and a 'mastery board', which is basically a really customisable talent tree where you can slot in abilities into various 'buckets' ( like attack, defense, support ) where the size of the buckets is determined by the class you are using. There are a *lot* of abilities ( 800+ ) and they have a huge variety of hidden set bonuses which you can discover. Organising the board is almost like a game in itself. The abilities, or 'masteries' are essentially drops from certain types of enemies or given as 'insights' during story events.

Add in diablo style loot, crafting, pet taming, robot construction, character synergies, etc, and there is an crazy amount of content.

On the downside, there's a story that might be ok, but I have no patience for actually following it, given the presentation format is 90s JRPG standard one sentence speech bubble, click for next type stuff. Fortunately for heathens like myself, there's usually a 'skip' button. Your mileage may vary depending on your tolerance for that stuff.

Oddly, it's one of the games where increasing difficulty actually makes it easier because the difficulty adds more enemies, increases the number of elite enemies and makes things higher level, all of which give more experience, causing you to increasingly drastically outlevel everything you are fighting. If you actually want some difficulty, there's an optional toggle called 'limited growth', which prevents your guys from getting xp if they are over the recommended level for the mission - I think turning that on is pretty much a requirement.

Overall thumbs up from me, it's a huge game and it's dirt cheap - definitely worth a look from anyone that likes tactical RPGs I think.

Side note: hiring a traumatised 12 year old girl to go into combat zones because she has heals makes the MC look like a real dickhead ;p

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>

Well I looked on a walkthru and I only had 2 left to do so I finished them anyway. Climbing the plate now on my way to the endgame.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Well I looked on a walkthru and I only had 2 left to do so I finished them anyway. Climbing the plate now on my way to the endgame.

I still suggest doing the DLC now since it coincides with the part of the game you're on story-wise and there's a lot left in the main story.

Also keep in mind that Shinra Tower is roughly the last 40% of the game. Even though there are only 3 chapters that take place there, it takes a while.

• 1Like

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
I still suggest doing the DLC now since it coincides with the part of the game you're on story-wise and there's a lot left in the main story.

Also keep in mind that Shinra Tower is roughly the last 40% of the game. Even though there are only 3 chapters that take place there, it takes a while.
ok that works. all I recall from my first playthrough was this part was a slog.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
ok that works. all I recall from my first playthrough was this part was a slog.

Now that I think about it, the DLC ends with an epilogue to the main game, so maybe it would be better to do it last, IDK.

Was gonna finally play Nioh before FF7R but I haven't had time. It's gonna take a lot of it from the looks of things.

I think I'm gonna run FF7R again right before the sequel comes out. I can beat FF7R in like ten hours from scratch if it's on easy, might be a fun thing to do in like the week before the new one.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
I picked up PSVR2's first decent RPG, Legendary Tales. I'm only an hour in or so, but it's been a blast so far. My arm is sore from swinging though.

What's the deal with the FF7 Remake? Are they still doing it piecemeal so you have to buy 5 of them to get the whole FF7 story?

• 1Like

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
I picked up PSVR2's first decent RPG, Legendary Tales. I'm only an hour in or so, but it's been a blast so far. My arm is sore from swinging though.

What's the deal with the FF7 Remake? Are they still doing it piecemeal so you have to buy 5 of them to get the whole FF7 story?
I'm also confused as to what's going on with FF7. I can't just buy the damn remake? Sequel, wtf?

Talenvor

Lord Nagafen Raider

Legendary Tales is great. It's a real VR RPG and so much fun. I'm glad I'm not the only one who is sore!

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Given how much a zelda fan I am, shockingly I just finished Tears of the Kingdom. I thought the overall story was pretty good, but seemed to retcon ALttP and OoT if I’m not mistaken. And maybe the whole timeline prior to the split. I never really cared. I always treated each game as more a re-telling of a legend. But apparently nerds got annoyed. My thoughts? Not a big enough deviation from BotW. I enjoyed the building but for some reason I, personally, had more fun when I didn’t build crazy OP shit and fought mobs Mano a Mano. Cooking can go fuck itself frankly. I’m over it. Or maybe weapon durability? One needs to go to me. It was tedium. Using the powers also for tedious. The open world was again phenomenal.

It was a fantastic game. Did not wow me like BotW did, but I enjoyed finishing this group’s story. Where’s the triforce though? Also I have gotten to the point I pretty much hate most other Zelda fans. They seem fucking obsessed with Tranny Link or Tranny Zelda. Or at least I see that shit anywhere I look on the Internet. And the nerd slut at work keeps rambling about it. Despite never having finished any of the games. Nor did she finish Hogwarts after taking a week off to play it. If I was single, I’d bet the farm I could nail her behind her husbands back. Or in front of it. 🤮

Right now I’m playing FF14 and messing with some SNES replays. After that maybe BG3.

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Now that I think about it, the DLC ends with an epilogue to the main game, so maybe it would be better to do it last, IDK.

Was gonna finally play Nioh before FF7R but I haven't had time. It's gonna take a lot of it from the looks of things.

I think I'm gonna run FF7R again right before the sequel comes out. I can beat FF7R in like ten hours from scratch if it's on easy, might be a fun thing to do in like the week before the new one.
I did stop and play the DLC, then I went and did a little of the demo for Remake. Stopped playing the demo as I'll probably buy the game anyhow in a few weeks. Doesn't matter though as I've already played the main game, and the original game 2-3 times.

• 1Like

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Been working on my Shining-Force-inspired game. Aiming to have a polished playable demo by end of June that I will use to kickstart for a modest amount to (hopefully) pay for professional art and possibly music. I have a narrative arc, characters/enemies/etc, and have many of the systems coded. I think sound/music will be my biggest stumbling block, I have a solid artist lined up I have someone helping a bit with tilesets (and I can do some of that myself too). Enjoying the process so far, and pretty happy with myself for sticking with it.

• 11Like
  • 3Solidarity
Reactions: 13 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I'm also confused as to what's going on with FF7. I can't just buy the damn remake? Sequel, wtf?

Basically they're remaking FF7 in 3 parts. Each part is a standalone game, so you don't transfer files or stats between them. The second part is out in a couple weeks and the third part is out in 2027 probably.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Been working on my Shining-Force-inspired game. Aiming to have a polished playable demo by end of June that I will use to kickstart for a modest amount to (hopefully) pay for professional art and possibly music. I have a narrative arc, characters/enemies/etc, and have many of the systems coded. I think sound/music will be my biggest stumbling block, I have a solid artist lined up I have someone helping a bit with tilesets (and I can do some of that myself too). Enjoying the process so far, and pretty happy with myself for sticking with it.

That's awesome.

I used to have a huge drive to create a game, and put hundreds of hours into RPG Maker on the PS1. There was only so much I could do with that though. Too bad I never got into the PC versions like RPG Maker 2003, which looks like it had way more creation freedom and leeway to make it as close to your vision as possible. By the time I knew about that and had access to the right software, I was no longer a teenager with infinite free time / drive.

• 1Solidarity

Aazrael

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I have a wierd problem with games nowadays. They are super fun at first and when I feel I'm approaching the second half of the game my interest fizzle and I don't want to continue.

Played FF7 Remake and quit when I got to Aerith church. Played FFXVI and quit halfway. Played Spiderman 2 and quit at maybe 70%. Playing Monster Hunter World right now and I'm 90 hours in and a few quests into Iceborn and the same thing is starting to happen even if I still enjoy playing it.

Did take a small break from MHW today and decided to plow through and finish Spiderman 2 so I could at least check that game off the list.

The Plan is to wrap up FF7 Remake before Rebirth but will see how that pans out...

• 1Solidarity

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
I have a wierd problem with games nowadays. They are super fun at first and when I feel I'm approaching the second half of the game my interest fizzle and I don't want to continue.

You're just getting old.

Really, it's that.

• 4Solidarity
  • 4Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 8 users

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Yup. That's why I've gotten so attracted to the Vampire Survivors genre. Short game sessions and can generally "finish" them in a relatively short amount of time.

Good ARPG's still manage to hold me for awhile but narrative based games just don't do it anymore (though I still try with the best ones).

• 1Solidarity