What are your top 5 funniest movies?

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I dunno dudes. Dark comedies are where it's at for me. Though I've probably watched Caddyshack, Fletch, and The Jerk the most out of any comedy.

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
d7cb250349f1c03c14d1bb8231348c70595d1fb17d4a5481754371e43d904c34.jpg

Greyform

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Lot of good movies listed I will try to add a couple missed ones

Back to School
Longest yard (original)
Blues Brothers
Dr Strangelove
The Princes Bride

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
The Road
Schindler's List
Titanic
The Boy in the Striped Pajamas
The Green Mile

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Braen

<Medals Crew>
Lots of great movies. I always enjoyed Noises Off! Christopher Reeve, John Ritter, Carol Burnett, Michael Caine... Lots of great comedic actors.

• 1Like

Scoresby

Trakanon Raider
In no particular order

Supertroopers
Scary Movie 2 (terrible I know)
Deuce Bigalow : European Gigolo (even worse, but...well, that's a huge bitch!)
Ghostbusters
Spaceballs

Faltigoth

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I know there are funnier movies out there, but I the one film that I laughed the hardest at in the past 10-15 years or so was Tropic Thunder. I can't remember any film before or since that had me guffawing like that shit. Fricking Tom Cruise.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Grumpy Old Men
Grumpier Old Men
Super Troopers
Office Space
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
Half-Baked
Ghostbusters
Blazing Saddles
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Airplane!

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
I could find my top 5 on the first page or two of this thread. office space, tropic thunder, etc.

I am surprised to see the love two groups of movies are getting
naked gun/hot shots/etc
best in show/a might wind/etc

If you find these movies even a little bit chuckleworthy there is some difference in our brains more extreme than male vs female or liberal vs conservative. Both of those groups of movies are to me the epitome of tryhard not funny at all comedies.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
The original MASH movie doesn’t get enough mention. If you haven’t seen it, do.

• 1Like

Srathor

Blackwing Lair Raider
Airplane
Better off Dead
Monty Python (All of them)
Mel Brooks (Most of them)

And one noone has ever heard of. Say Yes. In honor of my dad. I have no idea why he laughed so hard at it.

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
In no particular order at all.

Tropic Thunder
Holy Grail
Super Troopers
The Big Lebowski

and...

Forgetting Sarah Marshall. Fuck you I know what you are going to say and you can just stow it. Dracula musical in the Hawaiian bar make me lose my shit every goddamn time.

Boiling the list down to five is impossible, but those are the 5 I would take with me into space.

I could find my top 5 on the first page or two of this thread. office space, tropic thunder, etc.

I am surprised to see the love two groups of movies are getting
naked gun/hot shots/etc
best in show/a might wind/etc

If you find these movies even a little bit chuckleworthy there is some difference in our brains more extreme than male vs female or liberal vs conservative. Both of those groups of movies are to me the epitome of tryhard not funny at all comedies.

It's just differences in humor. Some people see zero humor at all in a bunch of British dudes running around the countryside yelling and making funny faces at bad props. For ones like Hot Shots and Naked gun, the tryhardness of them IS part of the funny. It's meant to be very over the top and relies on a lot of subtle word pun humor. Airplane is probably the best example of that style.

As for the Christopher Guest films (Waiting for Guffman, Mighty Wind etc etc, and you can somewhat include This is Spinal Tap since he was a primary writer), a lot of the humor comes from knowing and understanding the over-dramatized people in those subcultures he is mocking. We all know that crazy dog person that gives full open mouth kisses to their dog while everyone else just stands their awkwardly. And that awkwardness is also part of the humor. We all know the insane drama nerd from High School that never got their shot at the Big Time. It's an empathetic or vicariously embarrassed kind of humor.

• 1Like

Khane

Got something right about marriage
It isn't "tryhard humor". It's absurdism. Some people laugh at the absurd. Some people find it... absurd.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Snatch
Animal House
Tropic Thunder
Hot Fuzz

No particular order, but those are my five that consistently make me laugh no matter how many times I see them. Honorable mention to Big Lebowski.

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
It isn't "tryhard humor". It's absurdism. Some people laugh at the absurd. Some people find it... absurd.

For those that call Hot Shots absurdism, I respond with "Gummy bears, gummy bears, sprinkles, sprinkles!"

• 1Like