What can I do in Texas or nearby?

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Of your own to flying, depending on time there's always going to further away states and see how extreme the differences in different areas of the country. Nothing like 70f Texas winter and go to 4 foot of snow Minnesota. Our Florida humidity to Arizona dry

Oh come on, there's only probably 2 feet of snow in MN by Christmas. It hasn't even gotten cold by that point.... probably only 10° or so. Shorts weather.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Butthurt

<Nazi Janitors>
Bob's Steak and Chop House.
da baby GIF

Edit: Cote de Boeuf, medium rare plus, with a side of peppercorn gravy.

• 1Solidarity

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
Belated, but I'll piggyback off of Haus Haus 's post and add some attractions on the Fort Worth side of the Metroplex.

• American Airlines is headquartered in Fort Worth; they have a museum called the CR Smith Museum which is fun if you're an aviation fan.
  • The Stockyards are open every day (not just at Christmas), and they run cattle through there twice a day.
  • Fort Worth Botanic Garden is great.
  • They are working on revitalizing the Baker Hotel in Mineral Wells (about an hour west of Fort Worth). Back in the old days, it was a 5* hotel frequented by movie stars and the like. More recently it's been featured on Ghost Adventures. Progress on it has been slow, but maybe it'll be done by next year?
  • Fossil Rim Wildlife Center is in Glen Rose; that's about an hour southwest of FW; it's basically a drive-through zoo/safari.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Galveston will probably be doing dickens on the strand around Christmas. I hate that shit, but a lot of people seem to like it.

Strip clubs suck around houston. I suggest going to austin or down to the valley if you want that.

Go gamble in Lake Charles.

Definitely eat BBQ and mexican food.

If you want to watch or shoot in a cowboy action match, send me a PM, I can probably hook you up. You won't have any trouble borrowing guns at a regular monthly SASS match if you want to participate.

If you're leaving Houston, definitely get a car. There's not a good public transit system once you get out of the major cities.

Fredickburg was mentioned, if you go there, the museum of the war in the pacific is pretty awesome.

Uvalde isn't too far from Fredrickburg and they have a place called DriveTanks where you can drive and shoot a tank. They also have full auto guns and artillery pieces that you can shoot .

In Bryan there's an armor museum that has a bunch of functional armor pieces. They sometimes drive them around and give rides, but you can't fire them.

It's hard to make suggestions when I don't know what you two enjoy. Best to stick with the strip clubs I guess. Go to all nude places and your daughter only has to pretend to be 18 to get in.

• 3Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

donomito

Blackwing Lair Raider
If you want a road trip:
  • Corpus Christi is a popular vacation location that might be warm enough at Christmas? Outside of the normal beach stuff, they have the USS Lexington "The Blue Ghost" aircraft carrier, launched in 1942; it was the second carrier named Lexington to serve in WW2. Port Aransas and Rockport are the beach places, but the water will probably be on the cold side for actual swimming.
  • Big Bend National Park is one of the few places with zero light pollution. It is 8 hours from Houston, but you can choose to drive through Austin, Fredericksburg, and scenic hill country (although I dunno how nice it will look in December). Austin has Lake Travis, good BBQ, and a lauded music scene; Fredericksburg has shopping...I guess, I heard it oft mentioned, when I lived in Austin, but never been.
  • Galveston has rentable beach houses, which are neat, but it might be a bit too cold at Christmas. They may also do Christmas stuff in town.
  • Fort Worth has rodeo (Dec 14-17) and downtown (Stockyards) stuff going on at Christmas I think. Dallas has some popular museums, like the Ross Perot Museum (Fort Worth >>>> Dallas imo). Both cities have Zoos that are highly rated(?); I have heard conflicting reports of which one is better. The Gaylord in Grapevine is a fancy resort with a bunch Christmas stuff. The Great Wolf Lodge just down the street from the Gaylord is an indoor water park. Dallas and Ft. Worth both have well rated Theaters, if you want to see a play, but so does Houston.
  • San Antonio has the Riverwalk. The travel forum has a trip @Sanrith Descartes took from DFW to San Antonio in it.
  • If you wanted to come a month early, you could catch Texas Renaissance Festival.
  • Have never heard a good word about New Orleans (outside of seeing tits and getting stabbed during Mardi Gras).
Galveston sucks dick. Would not recommend.
Austin is okay - only notable is Franklin BBQ / Terry Blacks but pretty sure Houston has the OG location. 6th street for drinking is cool, leave before midnight due to bums/crazy people.
Riverwalk is dope, would recommend.

Natural Bridge Caverns is awesome. right outside san antonio.​

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Galveston sucks dick. Would not recommend.
Austin is okay - only notable is Franklin BBQ / Terry Blacks but pretty sure Houston has the OG location. 6th street for drinking is cool, leave before midnight due to bums/crazy people.
Riverwalk is dope, would recommend.

Natural Bridge Caverns is awesome. right outside san antonio.​

If you do the riverwalk, recommend boat tour if the weather aint awful. The alamo is kinda neat and really close to the riverwalk anyways. The doors are so fucking tiny, it's like the business areas of a castle or something. Makes you realize how mini-me people used to be.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Galveston will probably be doing dickens on the strand around Christmas. I hate that shit, but a lot of people seem to like it.

Strip clubs suck around houston. I suggest going to austin or down to the valley if you want that.

Go gamble in Lake Charles.

Definitely eat BBQ and mexican food.

If you want to watch or shoot in a cowboy action match, send me a PM, I can probably hook you up. You won't have any trouble borrowing guns at a regular monthly SASS match if you want to participate.

If you're leaving Houston, definitely get a car. There's not a good public transit system once you get out of the major cities.

Fredickburg was mentioned, if you go there, the museum of the war in the pacific is pretty awesome.

Uvalde isn't too far from Fredrickburg and they have a place called DriveTanks where you can drive and shoot a tank. They also have full auto guns and artillery pieces that you can shoot .

In Bryan there's an armor museum that has a bunch of functional armor pieces. They sometimes drive them around and give rides, but you can't fire them.

It's hard to make suggestions when I don't know what you two enjoy. Best to stick with the strip clubs I guess. Go to all nude places and your daughter only has to pretend to be 18 to get in.
Do many people take the wife and daughter to strip clubs in your neck of the woods? lol

Shooting could be a good idea for something he cant get in Australia. It's not too expensive to rent guns at some ranges (probably). When living in Houston, we only went to Carter's Country in Spring, but I am sure there are plenty of good places that would be comfortable during the Christmas "cold" (maybe a big indoor place).

Maybe you could really blow their socks off at the range and bring in any other Ballerinas that want to go, since they are in Texas after all. Just make sure everyone knows gun safety is serious business for everyone involved, from employees to other customers.
2023-06-26 16.38.11 www.carterscountry.com de4ed6495244.png

I've also been to a fairly large outdoor clay course over by Beaumont (walk/ride from station to station, with different set ups; kinda like golf), but I don't think they will be open in the winter.

Last edited:

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
Do many people take the wife and daughter to strip clubs in your neck of the woods? lol

They don't in yours? Do you live inside of a muslim church or something?

Shooting could be a good idea for something he cant get in Australia. It's not too expensive to rent guns at some ranges (probably). When living in Houston, we only went to Carter's Country in Spring, but I am sure there are plenty of good places that would be comfortable during the Christmas "cold" (maybe a big indoor place).

Maybe you could really blow their socks off at the range and bring in any other Ballerinas that want to go, since they are in Texas after all. Just make sure everyone knows gun safety is serious business for everyone involved, from employees to other customers.

I've also been to a fairly large outdoor clay course over by Beaumont (walk/ride from station to station, with different set ups; kinda like golf), but I don't think they will be open in the winter.

first, fuck carter's country. Old man carter lobbied and testified before congress to close down gun shows because he didn't want the competition. I'm not sure if he's still alive, but if he's dead, I sincerely hope he died choking on a bag of dicks. Carter's country is dead to me until they issue a public apology for that shit.

Second, yeah there are indoor ranges. I know of a 100 yard indoor range in conroe. There are also a couple of "Guntry clubs" that are cool if you're loaded, but they usually only go to 25 yards. Which is plenty far enough for a new shooter.

Third, it's Texas. Christmas time is likely to be pretty mild. if the weather is good, there's a place called american shooting center with 600 yard ranges and maybe more.

Fourth, might not be a need to even rent guns. I'm sure any board members available would bring whatever they have.

• 1Like

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
If you do the riverwalk, recommend boat tour if the weather aint awful. The alamo is kinda neat and really close to the riverwalk anyways. The doors are so fucking tiny, it's like the business areas of a castle or something. Makes you realize how mini-me people used to be.
Don't get really drunk and stumble up to the Alamo with your drunk buddies and decide you have to pee. It's a federal offense.

Butthurt

<Nazi Janitors>
Don't get really drunk and stumble up to the Alamo with your drunk buddies and decide you have to pee. It's a federal offense.
On the other hand, san antonio has Mi Tierra, which is a Texas Tex-Mex Staple. If youre in SA, also check out the Pearl Brewery area, new hot spot there. Also, if you want a wine and whiskey tour, check out Fredricksburg, right up the way from SA. Also, you’ll hear some Bavarian German that way, but dont be surprised. Some of the best German food outside of Munich is there.

Varia Vespasa

Vyemm Raider
The battleship USS Texas is open for drydock tours in December, if such a thing interests you. (Currently in drydock for repairs to fix over a century of wear and corrosion) Its about a 2 hour guided tour.

• 1Like

Hoss

<Gold Donor>

Not much to see now. The structure itself was moved to dallas where it became a restaurant, but that didn't last long. For a while they were selling off 1 square foot sections of the ranch. The current owner is trying to get a historical marker, but it is on private land. So even if you do find it, be careful trying to visit it.