What did you just read?

Randin

Molten Core Raider
54d 58m
Victory of Eagles by Naomi Novik, book five of the Temeraire series. A historical fantasy series that takes place during the Napoleonic Wars in a world where sapient dragons exist, and each country has their own draconic air force as part of their military. It's tricky to talk about book 5 in a series without having a talk around the previous books, but I will say that I'm still enjoying the series.

• 1Like
Reactions: Rime

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
92d 4h 45m
The Splendid and the Vile, by Erik Larson.

Another excellent book by perhaps my favorite writer. Does a great job of capturing the intensity, insecurity and paranoia in Britain at the apex of WW2, mostly from Churchills perspective. This was great, but I still think The Devil in the White City & In the Garden of Beasts were quite a bit better. I preferred this to Dead Wake & Thunderstruck, however.

• 1Like
Reactions: Campbell1oo4

Arbitrary

Karazhan Raider
264d 1h 36m
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51EK-VgVj3L._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I've read a few wrestling books and this was one of the better ones. It makes a good companion piece to Hitman providing a different angle to several events, wrestlers and territories covered in Bret Hart's book. As a criticism the general tone of the book is negative. Time is spent on numerous scandals and the book does not shy away from the grime of professional wrestling and the people within it.

Still good though!

Rime

<Donor>
27d 21h 11m
Victory of Eagles by Naomi Novik, book five of the Temeraire series. A historical fantasy series that takes place during the Napoleonic Wars in a world where sapient dragons exist, and each country has their own draconic air force as part of their military. It's tricky to talk about book 5 in a series without having a talk around the previous books, but I will say that I'm still enjoying the series.
I thoroughly enjoyed the Temeraire series, I wish there were more like it (that were not complete trash). Book 6 was the only book that was a pain for me, primarily due to
the whole stupid amnesia plotline.

I finished the latest book in the Cradle series, Bloodline last week. It... was a disappointment? Way too much time spent on things that detracted from the series and not enough focus on the characters that have made the series good. I would rate it at a 4/10, while all of the other books in the series have been 6/10 or 7/10. If you like 'progressive fantasy' and/or martial arts magic, the series as a whole is good.

I am now reading 'Dead Sea' by Tim Curran.