What did you just read?

Campbell1oo4

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Blood Meridian, or the Evening Redness in the West by Cormac McCarthy. (SPOILERS)

This is the second time that I have read this book. The first time was 15 years ago when I was 15. I didn't understand a quarter of what I read back then. I got a bit more life experience now, read a couple more books, and I think I got a better grip on this thing.

Blood Meridian has some serious depth. On the surface it is a historical fiction novel concerning a young man out of the East who comes West and gets wrapped up in the Glanton Gang. They tromp across Texas and Mexico doing a great deal of Evil. One of the members of the Gang is the Judge, an seemingly albino and hairless giant that speaks several languages and has a deep understanding of all things.

Underneath this story is so much more. This story is like the Book of Judges from the Old Testament - there is no King in Israel and every man does what he sees good in his own eyes. Evil runs rampant. What remnants there are of Christianity show up in ruined churches and unreadable bibles (except for the town of Jesus Maria).

If you read this story without knowing this, or with an atheistic outlook, you might come away thinking there was no point to all this Evil. Life is just as series of catastrophes running one after another, no meaning to it at all.

Yet it is not. This is not true for the World we live in and it is not true for this book. But what are we to do with Evil? This is the question that McCarthy has tackled in his magnum opus. The same answer applies to the Book of Judges as to Blood Meridian. The answer lies on the very first page when we learn the Kid's father was a very highly educated man who did not educate his son on account of him killing his mother in birth. All the evil that the Kid partook in and was ruined by could have been prevented if his father had raised him properly. As with the Book of Judges, all the violence and horror in that book could have been avoided if the tribes of Israel did not stray in their worship of God.

The moral of this story is that human beings need a moral authority to bind them together, to prevent the spread of Evil.

EDIT: I want to add that there is incredible poetry in this novel, especially concerning the natural world. But there is also incredibly graphic violence. This is done deliberately. The world is presented as a beautiful creation. Mankind is depraved, a fallen creature. It is an inherently Christian world, the Glanton Gang is just led astray by the Devil.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Blood Meridian, or the Evening Redness in the West by Cormac McCarthy. (SPOILERS)

This is the second time that I have read this book. The first time was 15 years ago when I was 15. I didn't understand a quarter of what I read back then. I got a bit more life experience now, read a couple more books, and I think I got a better grip on this thing.

Blood Meridian has some serious depth. On the surface it is a historical fiction novel concerning a young man out of the East who comes West and gets wrapped up in the Glanton Gang. They tromp across Texas and Mexico doing a great deal of Evil. One of the members of the Gang is the Judge, an seemingly albino and hairless giant that speaks several languages and has a deep understanding of all things.

Underneath this story is so much more. This story is like the Book of Judges from the Old Testament - there is no King in Israel and every man does what he sees good in his own eyes. Evil runs rampant. What remnants there are of Christianity show up in ruined churches and unreadable bibles (except for the town of Jesus Maria).

If you read this story without knowing this, or with an atheistic outlook, you might come away thinking there was no point to all this Evil. Life is just as series of catastrophes running one after another, no meaning to it at all.

Yet it is not. This is not true for the World we live in and it is not true for this book. But what are we to do with Evil? This is the question that McCarthy has tackled in his magnum opus. The same answer applies to the Book of Judges as to Blood Meridian. The answer lies on the very first page when we learn the Kid's father was a very highly educated man who did not educate his son on account of him killing his mother in birth. All the evil that the Kid partook in and was ruined by could have been prevented if his father had raised him properly. As with the Book of Judges, all the violence and horror in that book could have been avoided if the tribes of Israel did not stray in their worship of God.

The moral of this story is that human beings need a moral authority to bind them together, to prevent the spread of Evil.

EDIT: I want to add that there is incredible poetry in this novel, especially concerning the natural world. But there is also incredibly graphic violence. This is done deliberately. The world is presented as a beautiful creation. Mankind is depraved, a fallen creature. It is an inherently Christian world, the Glanton Gang is just led astray by the Devil.
Well I love this book but every time I read it I have a little bit of a come to jesus with the ending. I think it ends with the kid succumbing to his nature at the behest of Judge (no spoilers) and every time I put the this book down I'm both relieved to be done and dismayed. McCarthy is a terrific writer.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Little of both. There can be a lot of value in revisiting something.
Nowadays I essentially just alternate between reading something new and rereading an old book. Currently making my way through second read throughs of both Malazan and Dragonriders of Pern.

Campbell1oo4

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The Road by Cormac McCarthy (SPOILERS)

Last time I read this was in the winter of 2019-2020 and I was in Germany and the land was as gray and dead as the landscapes of the novel. Yet I finished it in 2 days.

This time around I read this in about 3 days. Part of that is the style and part of that is how "thin" this novel is.

It is good, don't get me wrong, but it feels like it exists in a luminous space. As a short story it could have been real punchy. If expanded it could have been an epic. But it is a very contained story, following one thread through a series of (seemingly) unconnected events.

But why is it worth reading? It is an exercise in virtue. How do you hold onto hope when the whole world seems to be dying? How do you show charity to someone when you have nearly nothing yourself?

We are treated to a parade of horrors. Murder, Cannibalism, Infanticide. This is a fallen world and the whole time we get glimpses of Eden, the world that came before.

The climax of the novel, if it could be said to exist, would be when the man finds a boat; an ark from the Eden of the old world, filled with food and waterproof clothing and a flare pistol (a weapon that literally spews fire, the motif of fire is one of hope in this story).

Upon gaining these boons the Man finds he has been robbed and in a fit of humanity robs the man who robbed him and leaves him to die. He later repents and tries to find the man but the damage is done. There is no going back.

Yet this is not a depressing novel. It might be sad but all the horrible things that happened must be seen in light of the final two pages; the boy finds a family and they go into the mountains and find a river with fish in it. These are the only animals in the novel, a sign that the Earth is not totally dead.

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
Conservatism: A Rediscovery by Yoram Hazony

Although many members of our forum will balk reading this with it having been written by an Orthodox Jew, this book is probably the most intellectually forceful history and defense of conservatism since at least Buckley.

Hazony has four main thrusts with the book:
1) Outline a history of Anglo-American conservatism that begins predominantly with John Selden and John Fortescue, continues with people such as Hume and Edmund Burke, and is passed down to America predominantly by Washington and the Federalists. He also devotes time trying to determine what “went wrong” with American conservatism and why it has not been particularly successful “conserving” anything since the 1960s (his thesis: Buckley’s fusionism, while well-intentioned and probably necessary for the defeat of the Soviet Union, was predominantly a liberal philosophy rather than a conservative one).

2) Contrast the differences between what he sees are the three major political philosophies (conservatism, liberalism, and Marxism). His main critique of liberalism is that, in his view, it is inherently unstable because of its reliance on a Cartesian/Lockeian model of “reason” - if everyone can use their “reason” to deduce the ideal political system, there must be only one (1) kind of political system, and therefore it is the responsibility of liberalism to attempt to “spread” its conclusions even in cultures that exist in entirely different sociological contexts. Its reliance on reason alone and bold pronouncements also renders it vulnerable to fringe ideologies like Marxism that undermine it by pointing to isolated instances of inequality which liberals then interpret as a systemic problem rather than a one off (Yarvin’s ‘Leviathan always moves left’ phenomenon). Hazony argues that some aspects of Marxist critique of liberalism are correct: (1) that liberty, equality, and rights-based systems are insufficient for understanding the political domain (because people inherently do try to exploit one another), (2) unregulated capitalism generally leads to undermining of a culture as the elite disconnect from the wider society at large. However, he also notes that Marxism offers no tenable, non-utopian solutions to its critiques - all experiments in Marxist government have failed.

He views conservatism as an empiric philosophy and outlines six basic premises of conservatism:
1) Men are born into families, tribes, and nations to which they are bound by ties of mutual loyalty
2) Individuals, families, tribes, and nations compete for honor, importance, and influence until a threat or common endeavor recalls them to the mutual loyal ties that bind them to one another.
3) Families, tribes, and nations are hierarchy, and importance is dictated by the amount of honor they have accrued within the society.
4) Language, religion, law, government, and economic policy are institutions of tradition rather than reason and are designed not only to strengthen material prosperity but to stimulate internal cohesion.
5) Political consequence is a consequence of being a member of a group, not something that is strictly drawn from individual consent
6) The above premises are derived a posteriori rather than a priori, and may be challenged and improved upon in light of experience, although change should proceed slowly and orderly, and downstream effects should be considered carefully.

3) Posit solutions out of Clown World and envision what a conservative society would look like. This area of the book is shorter, and the lack of detail here is probably my main critique of the book. The primary remedies he suggests are (1) amending the Constitution to explicitly label America as a predominantly Christian, Anglo-descended nation that honors religion (and tolerates dissenting creeds provided they do not adversely affect wider society as a whole, (2) failing that, using SCOTUS as a battering ram to try to reverse some of the wall of separation of church and state, (3) strict immigration policy, (4) participation in religious congregations and homeschooling, (5) capitalism with strong rule of law and regulatory safeguards that heavily penalize special interests trying to undermine the system.

4) Discuss his own life’s trajectory from the time he was in college through the present day, elaborating on what perhaps individuals can do to live conservative lives at a micro level.

Last edited:

jmal2000

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
The Founders trilogy by Robert Jackson Benning

Foundryside

Starts out as a great thief book born into a world of magic that works like programming, the main character has psychometry skills so she can touch objects and see history about them. The story builds up with unique characters and is a great read in my opinion. A lot of plot twists are foreshadowed in the book and come into play later on also, which is well done.

Shorefall

The book starts off where Foundryside was left, and is mainly a heist book in the beginning. Magnitude of power levels of different characters start really building in this book and introduces a lot of dangerous characters that make the story exciting. The technology improves progressively with this book building upon technology concepts given in the first book.

Locklands

Book timeskips into the future from Shorefall and is set in middle of a technological war. The big dangerous characters play a crucial role in this book and there's a lot of backstory for the characters developed. It wraps up the story somewhat quite well. I just think by this third book, Robert introduces too much dangerous powers that you could easily see something going wrong without the book written for everything to go right.

• 1Like

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
1670206987488.png

Harassment Architecture is what you get when a millennial channels American Psycho, Fight Club and Ted Kaczynski but instead of being a full novel it's just all the main character's rantings one after another. It was really, really funny and the audiobook didn't overstay its welcome at 4.5 hours. It took me more than one try to get through American Psycho and by the time that one was over I was really glad it was over. This was the opposite.

• 1Mother of God
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
View attachment 446182

Harassment Architecture is what you get when a millennial channels American Psycho, Fight Club and Ted Kaczynski but instead of being a full novel it's just all the main character's rantings one after another. It was really, really funny and the audiobook didn't overstay its welcome at 4.5 hours. It took me more than one try to get through American Psycho and by the time that one was over I was really glad it was over. This was the opposite.
Haha, so glad someone here ran into Mike Ma's stuff. There is some real Right Wing fiction writing right there.

• 1Like

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Visceral brutality

All Hail the Lords of the Fuckin Plains

10/10

1670386606008.jpeg

• 3Like

Campbell1oo4

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The Road by Cormac McCarthy

So this is the third time that I've read this book and this is pertinent because the first time I was about 15 and the second time was in 2019 just before the Corona Virus hit.

The first time I read it I was a cliche teenage atheist and the book made me depressed because I thought it was a pretty accurate depiction of what would happen if society collapsed. Heck I thought it was kind of what society was, a horrible place where men ate each other in their pursuit of survival. Perhaps I thought it was about capitalism I don't know I was an idiot back then and I'm probably an idiot now.

Anyway, in 2019 I read it and thought it was depressing cause I was in Germany and it was winter and everything was gray. But I thought it was really well written.

This time around I actually really liked it but that's cause I was reading it through a Christian lense. I treated this story sort of like a parable. I was thinking about what McCarthy was trying to get across. I think this novel is a testament to Hope. A virtue is only a virtue when it is difficult. Hope is only a virtue when things are hopeless and brother this book is deeply hopeless... until the last two pages.

SPOILERS - the man dies and the boy finds a new family and they are good people. There is also a reference to fish being found in a river. Some article I found on the internet says the fish are a memory of the man, a dream of the past world, but the man is dead at this point. I understood the fish to be something that is found on the adventures of the boy and the new family, some episode from their future together.

In this perspective there is a pay off to holding onto hope when there is no hope, which is quite a Christian message.

From a technical point of view, the book is well written but too bare. There is very little of the mind-blowing imagery that can be found in other McCarthy novels.

To sum it all up... It exists in a strange place. With some editing it could have been a really beefy short story. With some more time it could have been more epic.

But in the end, there is not enough poetry and not enough depth. Blood Meridian is better written, No Country for Old Men is more entertaining and All the Pretty Horses is more poetic. If you're going to read Cormac McCarthy go for one of those instead.

• 3Like

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Thursday Murder Club - Richard Osman. Saw him on Graham Norton, figured I'd give the book(s) a try. It's murder mysteries being solved by 4 old timers in a retirement community. I'm 75% done with the 1st one (there are 3) and it's hard to put down. Very easy to read and one of those books that you don't want to end.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I just finished the Robert Galbraith (JK Rowling) novels. Detective fiction. They are well written and a nice diversion. Not too serious, but really a good read. There are five books in the series if I remember correctly. I recommend them.

Sorry if these books have already been discussed here. I couldn't find it.

• 2Like

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
But in the end, there is not enough poetry and not enough depth. Blood Meridian is better written, No Country for Old Men is more entertaining and All the Pretty Horses is more poetic. If you're going to read Cormac McCarthy go for one of those instead.

I suspect that you have made this connection but the carrying the fire theme at the end of No Country for Old Men forms an odd yet purposeful bookend with The Road.

I wish The Counselor was better. It comes off as some kind of troll job by Cormac it's so clunky.

• 1Like

Campbell1oo4

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I suspect that you have made this connection but the carrying the fire theme at the end of No Country for Old Men forms an odd yet purposeful bookend with The Road.

I wish The Counselor was better. It comes off as some kind of troll job by Cormac it's so clunky.

So I just went and read No Country for Old Men and it was the 3rd or 4th time I read it since I was a teenager.

It used to be my favorite but now I think Blood Meridian might be. I'm not sure they're both good for different reasons.

The Road is good but I feel like it needed another few years of work, to really get fleshed out.

Anyway... Yes I think the symbolism of the Fire is symbolism of holding onto Hope/Faith in the face of a totally broken humanity. I think it neatly ties these two novels together.

I never read the Counselor or any of his first novels. Sometimes I think he gets by on reputation though he clearly has talent when he buckles down.

• 2Like

jreacher2

Hoofshots 1.0 Member
Child of God and Outer Dark by McCarthy are very dark but very good also, in my opinion.

I liked The Road a lot, too.

I tried Blood Meridian some years back and had a hard time getting into it. That might have been because of factors in my life like stress and sleep deprivation more than anything, so I plan to revisit it again sometime.

• 1Like

Campbell1oo4

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Child of God and Outer Dark by McCarthy are very dark but very good also, in my opinion.

I liked The Road a lot, too.

I tried Blood Meridian some years back and had a hard time getting into it. That might have been because of factors in my life like stress and sleep deprivation more than anything, so I plan to revisit it again sometime.

I'll read them off your recommendation.

My wife just gave me The Passenger and it's companion novel for Christmas so those'll be first.

• 1Like

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
Nona the Ninth. Another fun read. Author must be having a good laugh coming up with the gimmicks for each book in this series. It was easier to follow than Harrow even though it dials the soul-of-one-person-in-the-body-of-another up to 11.

• 1Like