What did you just read?

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I have the Amazon version from Kindle unlimited, if imagine it's got drm on it though? I could try converting it with Calibre when I get home and sending it to you if you want

I think I still have an ebook irc I could check as well

Rogosh

Lord Nagafen Raider
I have the Amazon version from Kindle unlimited, if imagine it's got drm on it though? I could try converting it with Calibre when I get home and sending it to you if you want

I think I still have an ebook irc I could check as well
Nah got it already, someone helped me out and sent me to libgen.io.

Needless

Toe Sucker
mama mia The Poppy War sure gets dark as a motherfucker.

highly enjoyed the read though. I think it was mentioned here before

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
Conn Iggulden kick at the moment. The Genghis Khan series was/is phenomenal. The Caesar books are decent, but it seems like a lot more is fictionalized in Caesar. great too!

Last edited:

B-Biscuit

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Anyone have the epub or mobi of critical failures 5 and 6 they are willing to share? Or can direct me to a site to get it. I have checked skytorrents ebookee and kickass
I've been using kindle unlimited. Now i feel a little stupid haha. There's always a free way. Still working on the 3rd one of the series

• 1Like

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I finished The Labyrinth Index by Charles Stross yesterday. It is book nine of his Laundry Files series. The first book could be fairly accurately described as Call of Cthulhu meets Dilbert as we find ourselves following around a main character that is a computer nerd conscripted into a secret governmental agency that deals with the occult all with a London backdrop.

By book nine shit has gotten fucking real. As far as the series as whole goes I would very much recommend it to anyone that likes Lovecraftian horrors or the urban fantasy genre.

• 1Like

Porkchop

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Bronze Donator>
I'm reading Ball Lightning by Cixin Liu and I'm really into it. This is the same author as the Three Body Problem series, so if you liked that, check it out.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Nah got it already, someone helped me out and sent me to libgen.io.

That was a good series. Just finished reading all of them. It has been a long time since a book had me laugh to tears. That fucking cop is the best.

All y'all need to read Critical Failures lol.

• 1Like

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
I finished The Labyrinth Index by Charles Stross yesterday.
Everything by Stross is an automatic pre-order purchase. It's the only author that can make a very serious space opera narrated by a loli sexbot.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Everything by Stross is an automatic pre-order purchase. It's the only author that can make a very serious space opera narrated by a loli sexbot.

Wait did I miss this one? What is this loli sexpot space opera?

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Wait did I miss this one? What is this loli sexpot space opera?
Saturn's Children.

The only Stross I've never read was Rule 34. The style of the series turned me slightly off, so I skipped on book 2. Since apparently, there was never a book 3, I think I may not have been the only one.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Red Rising trilogy - pretty good, basically super romans in space. I’m sure it’s been covered in more depth here already since it isn’t new, but I really enjoyed the pacing of the books, never really slowed down.

Underlord - Will Wights latest in the Cradle series, basically more of the same (which is excellent) so if you’ve read any of his other books and liked them, this is a no brainer

zippitydoda

Bronze Knight of the Realm
On the morning of June 1, 1921, a white mob numbering in the thousands marched across the railroad tracks dividing black from white in Tulsa, Oklahoma, and obliterated a black community then celebrated as one of America's most prosperous. 34 square blocks of Tulsa's Greenwood community, known then as the Negro Wall Street of America, were reduced to smoldering rubble.

1552448441577.png

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I just finished this. It was about finding out one of your childhood best bros thinks he's a werewolf. Its pretty short and very pulpy but I really enjoyed it. They depicted werewolf carnage really well.

velk

Trakanon Raider
The Land (2-6) - Aleron Kong
I was underwhelmed by the first book, which I reviewed here a while ago, but it had an interesting enough concept to get me to try the 2nd one later. The second one was a huge improvement ( I guess he could afford an editor at that point ) and they have gotten better from there. The first one was pretty basic 'video game is real' but from the second one, the scope keeps expanding out. The books are more about building up and managing his settlement, and the extra problems that come from being responsible for other people's lives. It's actually a plot point that him leveling up and collecting rare artifacts is actually making life really dangerous for his people, as it's drawing increasing amounts of attention from hostile people and creatures.
One thing I didn't expect - the game mechanics were entertaining enough that I actually occasionally became frustrated at the main character's awful choices ;p
I'd upgrade to a strong recommendation if you are a fan of this kind of thing, I'm going to pick them up as they are written.

Critical Failures (1-6) - Robert Bevan
I picked these ones up on recommendation from someone here. While a lot of the humor didn't really work for me ( a little too drunken fratboy ), I found the storyline and characters really interesting and entertaining. I thought it really hit it's stride with their first attempt at teleporting back to Gulfport, and just got better from there. I have to give credit to the ongoing gag with their shameless abuse of the 'Mount' spell, it's both hilarious and creative ;p Katherine is absolutely a psychopath, and Mordred probably did the real world a favor by banishing her, it was only a matter of time before she became a serial killer ;p.
Will read more as they show up.

The Kingdom of Copper - S.A. Chakraborty
Sequel to City of Brass - this one is after a 5 year timeskip and follows the same characters from the first one. The political infighting and racial tensions have basically reached boiling point here, and Daevabad is on the edge of a complete bloodbath. This was very easy to read for a book with such complicated stuff going on, and stayed up to the quality of the first one. Overall a great book I thought.

Underlord - Will Wight
The powerful Akua clan pit their dependents against in each other in a contest to select new Underlords to compete in an upcoming tournament. The temptation of all the resources that have been made available makes that contest become deadly.
This one was excellent.

Trials of Magic - Thomas K. Carpenter
Orphan teenage girls try various plans to pass the grand exam that gets people accepted into the Hundred Halls of magic. Some of these plans are less sensible than others - summoning major demons is arguably less work than studying, but has some potential issues ;p
This was lightweight kind of fun, although the world building didn't really make any sense.

Broken Ice - J.R. Rain
The adventures of the CIA's only vampire agent. It probably says something that employing a vampire that can read minds, edit memories and mind control people is the *least* implausible thing about how the CIA operates in this book. Background research was obviously not a high priority here.
It was kind of 'eh' overall, I finished it, but don't have any real desire to read more.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Crimson

Peasant
The Disaster Artist.

Do yourself a favor and read the book over the movie, especially if you love The Room.
Tommy is the most batshit insane and hilarious person of all time. You can't even really describe him, and I'm amazed Sestero was even able to.

Randin

Trakanon Raider
India: A History by John Keay. When it comes to history, I do a lot of medieval Europe, but I do try to branch out every now and then, and India was one of the larger gaps in my knowledge. On the whole, this was a pretty good introduction to the subject; it can be a bit too easy to get lost in the Indian names and terms, but still a generally good read.

Heritage of Cyador by L.E. Modesitt. This is book--what, eighteen? nineteen?--of the Saga of Recluse series. There's a lot of critiques that can be leveled against this series--his tendency to reuse plots from one book to the next, spending too much word count on characters explaining mundane and unimportant facts to one another, and his weird choice to write the books in the present tense, which can be damn distracting--but for whatever reason, I still like these. Part of it is that I just really like the Order/Chaos magic system; it's simple, but I do just find it interesting.

• 1Like