What did you just read?

Rime

<Donor>
Uncrowned: Book 7 of the Cradle Series by Will Wight. If you liked the earlier books, you will like this. Only problem is that it ends on a whole load of cliffhangers.

Campbell1oo4

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Blood Meridian

220px-CormacMcCarthy_BloodMeridian.jpg

All I can say is... Yeeeeeesh

Easily one of the greatest books I have ever read. Not only was it well-written, but it was absolutely haunting. So many different scenes and characters stick out in my mind - mainly for their grotesque qualities.

I would highly recommend anything by Cormac McCarthy.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I never actually got through the rest of the border trilogy, got stuck on that one. It's definitely intense.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
I've had some people tell me they thought extremely highly of Blood Meridian, some as far as "greatest book I've ever read". It's sitting, waiting to be read. Looking forward to it.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I've had some people tell me they thought extremely highly of Blood Meridian, some as far as "greatest book I've ever read". It's sitting, waiting to be read. Looking forward to it.

It's not the easiest read. Had to re-read quite a few parts to really absorb.

It feels like it was written in the 1800s and not 1980's.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Half way into this, I love this author a lot, have read most of his stuff, but this one is hard slugging. Nothing happens.

1569637447034.jpeg

Edit: sorry, small picture, hard to see.
Killing Commendatore by Haruki Murakami

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I read the Eden's Gate LITRPG. I really liked the aspect of it where you have to die to transfer over into the RPG world. Alongside the real world. But the real world wants to exert control over it because it has become a route for criminals to avoid punishment. Kill a bunch of real people then go and transfer over to the RPG world and avoid all punishments.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Finished Seveneves.

Disappointed overall with the book. The third arc had no resolution and lacked a hero. Instead it kept switching back and forth amongst characters.

Left too many open questions. Too many ok what is next?

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Finished Seveneves.

Disappointed overall with the book. The third arc had no resolution and lacked a hero. Instead it kept switching back and forth amongst characters.

Left too many open questions. Too many ok what is next?
Yea, that's about the gist of it. You set up a kickass background, then... you end up doing pretty much nothing with it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rime

<Donor>
Agree entirely about Seveneves.

It was good up until the third act, when it all fell apart. Way too big of a time jump for my taste as well. I enjoyed the survival aspects of the second act the most.

• 1Like

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I've read Snow Crash, Diamond Age, Cryptonomicon, and Seveneves.

Which Neal should I try next?

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I fucking loved Seveneves, but yeah, the ending was disappointing. The ideas presented in the ending were not bad, but the execution left a lot to be desired. Should have been two books or something.

Adebisi Adebisi you should read Reamde. That one's awesome. After that you should try Anathem and see if you like it. I got about 5 minutes into the audio book and realized I just can't do this right now.

• 1Like

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Flow My Tears the Policeman Said by Phillip K. Dick.

Dystopian society with science fiction elements and drug use. You know, standard Dick. I've really liked the few short stories of his I've read but I didn't really like this and I didn't really like A Scanner Darkly either. Wasn't too long or cumbersome to get through which is a plus. Also I will say that the setting was cool and the reveal as well but it felt really dialogue heavy with half a dozen long conversations occupying what felt like the majority of the text.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Ukerric Ukerric what is the name of that book about a murder case being solved by a detective... but with the backdrop of a world ending meteor coming to strike the Earth in like 6 months?

I am willing to bet you read it but I can't think of the name right now.

• 1Like

khorum

Murder Apologist
I've read Snow Crash, Diamond Age, Cryptonomicon, and Seveneves.

Which Neal should I try next?

His newest book Fall, Or Dodge In Hell is the sequel to Reamde and Cryptonomicon (and The Baroque Cycle).... and it's great if you're into brain virtualization and the singularity. It's more or less a fictionalization of Max Tegmark's Life 3.0 lol.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Ukerric Ukerric what is the name of that book about a murder case being solved by a detective... but with the backdrop of a world ending meteor coming to strike the Earth in like 6 months?

I am willing to bet you read it but I can't think of the name right now.
That sounds familiar, but I also can't place it.
The last policeman
Sounds right. But apparently, it's not on my read list on goodreads, so I do think I might have skipped it. Weird. Because it did feel familiar, but I definitively should have it somewhere if I did read (the wonders of your ebook library is that a simple keyword search will bring it forth).

Last edited:

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Re reading Dune series.

Haven’t read God Emperor since the 90’s. I love it.

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
I'm reading an autobiography of Stalin. Despite being a lunatic and mass murderer, he had a pretty good nose for international politics. For instance how he manipulated the Malta conference