What directors do you trust the most?

Tea_sl

shitlord
You loved Inland Empire? I didn't even finish or understand it.
Yes. Yes I did, but I won't claim to understand it either. To me that's part of Lynch's magic - you're going to on a brilliant, incomprehensible ride to a destination far beyond the bounds of practicality.

Edit: I also completely understand if people don't particularly care for Lynch's works either. Not because I think they don't get it in the way I do, but because I'm the type of guy who likes and embraces his insanity. Lynch and Inland Empire may well be hack jobs, but I like them regardless.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I love Lynch, probably my favorite filmmaker. But Inland Empire was just too far into his head. I LOVED rewatching Mullholland Drive over and over, picking up the little details, reading online people pointing out things I couldn't have known, like the painting or whatever. Same with Lost Highway and Blue Velvet, great films. IL is just a full on acid trip, there is so much mystery that there really is no mystery, if that makes any sense.

Reports are he is coming out of his "retirement" to work on another film, which is mixed news to me. More than anything I want him to make more movies, just not more Inland Empire.

Tea_sl

shitlord
IL is just a full on acid trip, there is so much mystery that there really is no mystery, if that makes any sense.
Makes perfect sense. I completely agree and I love it for that. I get why you, even as a Lynch lover, wouldn't.

There's also nothing really in IL to deconstruct. There are details running though it, but trying to figure it out is a job for a madman much like the film itself.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Tetsuya Nomura (Yes I know he's a game director, but hey Square games practically are movies!)

Hayao Miyazaki
Shoji Kawamori
Shinichiro Watanabe

RIP Satoshi Kon =(

Szlia

Wes Andersonprobably has the best track record I can think of. I can fit all his movies into two categories: great and very good. Even Darren Aronofsky or Paul Thomas Anderson can't touch that.

Terrence MalickandJohnnie Tofollow closely. Two very different directors, but I know that even if their movie fail at a level or another, they both will deliver something full of an elegance, a grace, that is their very own.

Hirokazu Kore-edais somewhat the polar opposite of the previous two. The guy seemingly has not a single authorist bone in his body, so each of his movies has its very own style. Even with such odd shape-shifting act, Kore-eda manages to make movies that steadily range from solid to amazing.

satael

Silver Squire
Takeshi Kitano, Takashi Miike and Kiyoshi Kurosawa just to list some not yet mentioned (while Miike's movies are not always great they tend to be different/interesting)

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Tetsuya Nomura (Yes I know he's a game director, but hey Square games practically are movies!)

Hayao Miyazaki
Shoji Kawamori
Shinichiro Watanabe

RIP Satoshi Kon =(
This is like nerd hipsterism to the Nth degree.

he directed cutscenes in 2 FF video games, i know this seems like a stunning body of work but im sure there are better japanese directors

Shoji Kawamori
looks like this guy barely directed anything and the stuff he did direct was sailor moon-ish anime which is barely a step above pokemon.

Shinichiro Watanabe
cartoons

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
In the Modern Era, Nolan, Wright, Guy Ritchie, and Abrahms. Say what you will, but I know that no matter what happens, I will not feel like I wasted money on a trip to the theatre for one of their films, at least for the spectacle alone. Of the batch, I like Ritchie the best, mostly due to what he gets out of his actors.

Francis Ford Coppola is probably the best all time director, though. Fucking amazing body of diverse work with tons of eclectic personalities involved. The documentary of the making of Apocalypse now is better than most films nowadays, actually, to say nothing of the actual movie.

My guilty pleasure of a choice is Nicholas Meyer, though. The dude single handedly resurrected the entire Start Trek franchise and his numerous works as a producer have had a far reaching effect in everything 80s Science Fiction and a lot of drama in that era too.

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
Ron Howard - only a man with no soul (ginger) can deliver the dark tower series. Stay alive 20 years and I think you'll see it

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
Wes Anderson and its not even close. His films are the only ones that can get me misty eyed.

Coen bros and Tarrantino are the only other two that are in the same league.