What Made EQ Great? Tell your stories to a filthy casual

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
My interest in MMOs started fromwatchingmy friend play EQ, but I was never much of a player myself. I was late to the game and I felt like there was just too much to learn for me to ever catch up. I would just watch over my friends shoulder for hours and ask him random questions about the game. Then WoW came along and I fell in love with that for a couple years, but my fascination with EQ has never went away.

It's one of those things that I wish I would've gotten in on from the start. It must be like when dirty hippies wish they could attend the original Woodstock.

So I ask you this friends - What made this so great? What were the mechanics of EQ? Tell me your stories! But break it down in a way a vanilla WoW bro would understand.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
Being a dumb gay nerd and talking to other dumb gay nerds while making stats go up. Also the drama.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
New official SOE Progression server starting in April/May 2014. So join up and find out for yourself.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I was a wizard with a Willsapper and Eyepatch of Plunder (includes tears from a monk that arrived at Stormfeather shortly after).

I likely used these items better than any filthy casual would.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My favorite EQ story is when my GL banged another guildies wife at a guild get together! Ha the guy posted on the forums saying he had to leave the guild bc of it..lol

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
My interest in MMOs started fromwatchingmy friend play EQ, but I was never much of a player myself. I was late to the game and I felt like there was just too much to learn for me to ever catch up. I would just watch over my friends shoulder for hours and ask him random questions about the game. Then WoW came along and I fell in love with that for a couple years, but my fascination with EQ has never went away.

It's one of those things that I wish I would've gotten in on from the start. It must be like when dirty hippies wish they could attend the original Woodstock.

So I ask you this friends - What made this so great? What were the mechanics of EQ? Tell me your stories! But break it down in a way a vanilla WoW bro would understand.
I was fourteen with a shitload of time on my hands and the drama was good.

p99 was great cause I was 25 with a shit load of time on my hands and the drama was good + nostalgia.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
What it all boils down to is that community mattered, especially on the server I was on (Rallos Zek). The economy hub in EC Tunnel, forced grouping, drama, reading server/guild forums at work, etc.

MMOs with tools like cross server Looking for Dungeon/Looking for Raid just lose any small sense of community they had.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I remember there were all these unwritten rules I had to learn. Like warning people that you're training mobs to zone-ins. =^.^=

Or maybe I wasn't supposed to do that at all ... fffffuuuuuuuuuu

Devnull_sl

shitlord
Each class had unique strengths but even greater weaknesses. The world was dangerous and the game mechanics unforgiving. These things combined to demand player interaction, dependence and communication. The pace of the game allowed that communication to happen.

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
Thinking I was safe in an inn in the east commons talking to a vendor ,

Then an off path/kited Griffon lets me know no where is safe.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Tried helping someone with their epic quest right after Luclin released. Learned that the server had to be up for 72 hours before certain quest NPCs would spawn.

Cybsled

Fine. Falling asleep mid pull during flurry drakes in NToV (btw, I was the puller). I woke up like 4 hours later surrounded by various player corpses and no one in the zone. Somehow I had FD in my sleep and survived the (what I assume) was a multidrake pull.

It helped cement my nickname of "Cybsleep" ;/

tad10

Elisha Dushku
awesome. where did you hear this?
People on the current server said it was talked about at SOE Live with someone from SOE. No official word yet though. I assume Fippy and Vulak have to finally merge before it can show up.

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
What made EQ great for me was that I was naive enough to think of it as a world instead of a game long enough to allow my conditioned response to the game become so strong that I still "miss" EQ as much as I "miss" cigarettes.

krysanth

Golden Knight of the Realm
Awesome. I hope this is true. I always go back hardcore mode for the progression servers