What vehicle do you drive?

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Curious where you saw/heard that. I wouldn't think a vehicle of that vintage would would have much in the way of any security functions - cybersecurity only started being a really hot topic about 5ish years ago. I can't speak to everything a supplier might add though to prevent tampering, especially for a safety critical part. I would think it would be potentially repairable.
Well, I talked with the guy at Home - ABSFixer and he said it wasn’t repairable due to them growing the ICs on the silicone wafer thus it’s not as simple as resoldering cold joints or soldering new diodes etc. I have some background in electronics but not much on silicone manufacturing so ran it by an EE friend who guessed he was talking about PUFs. That said my friend could be completely wrong as to what abs fixer guy was referring to.

Regardless, right now the last resort plan is to pull the EBCM and see if buddy and I can fix it. We both have the tools - o scopes, power supplies, logic analyzers etc although he has significantly more electrical debugging knowledge.

edit - sounds like you may have some EE knowledge. Any idea what manufacturing process absfixer guy could have been referring to?

Last edited:
  • 1Harrow
Reactions: 1 user

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I was curious so loaded up the configurator and basically just tried to max it out. I'm sure there's another $15k in there somewhere. Dunno what I'd get if I had ~200k to spend on a sporty/performance small SUV.

View attachment 512785
Not sure why you would pick the S and not the faster, more luxurious trim levels.

Edit: I think the new generation doesn’t have the GTS, Turbo, or Turbo GT online yet? That would be why.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Maybe I’m just being a negative Nancy but the appeal of fast cars like corvettes, mustang, Porsches, etc has become completely lost on be me over the past few years with these EVs that are throwing 0-60 in 2-3.5s. Don’t get me wrong, a cyber truck isnt gonna be wrecking laps at the Nuremberg but for most people the joy of those fast cars is the acceleration, usually they aren’t lapping them for sport.

• 1Harrow
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Maybe I’m just being a negative Nancy but the appeal of fast cars like corvettes, mustang, Porsches, etc has become completely lost on be me over the past few years with these EVs that are throwing 0-60 in 2-3.5s. Don’t get me wrong, a cyber truck isnt gonna be wrecking laps at the Nuremberg but for most people the joy of those fast cars is the acceleration, usually they aren’t lapping them for sport.
No, the joy is actually driving something with emotion, feel, character, and a number of other intangibles. EVs provide none of those things and are boring as fuck to "drive". Going fast in a straight line from a stop light isn't what sports cars are for and it isn't their appeal.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Supertaster
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Not sure why you would pick the S and not the faster, more luxurious trim levels.

Edit: I think the new generation doesn’t have the GTS, Turbo, or Turbo GT online yet? That would be why.
From the previous posts it looked like S was the config in question 🤷

from what I recall, the more expensive trims were all hybrids and I assumed you didn’t get a hybrid.

ToeMissile

<Gold Donor>
No, the joy is actually driving something with emotion, feel, character, and a number of other intangibles. EVs provide none of those things and are boring as fuck to "drive". Going fast in a straight line from a stop light isn't what sports cars are for and it isn't their appeal.
I’ve seen good things about the Taycan. Have you driven it?

Kobayashi

Vyemm Raider
Well, I talked with the guy at Home - ABSFixer and he said it wasn’t repairable due to them growing the ICs on the silicone wafer thus it’s not as simple as resoldering cold joints or soldering new diodes etc. I have some background in electronics but not much on silicone manufacturing so ran it by an EE friend who guessed he was talking about PUFs. That said my friend could be completely wrong as to what abs fixer guy was referring to.

Regardless, right now the last resort plan is to pull the EBCM and see if buddy and I can fix it. We both have the tools - o scopes, power supplies, logic analyzers etc although he has significantly more electrical debugging knowledge.

edit - sounds like you may have some EE knowledge. Any idea what manufacturing process absfixer guy could have been referring to?
It's pretty far out of my area of expertise - I haven't ever been a board level guy, I deal in systems. I'd definitely defer to this guy over myself in this.

Other than what your friend brought up, the one thing I can think is he's just talking about are just ICs themselves. Looking at that ABS fixer site, it appears he's sort of carved out a niche dealing with faults on the bigger discreet components (for those GM parts, he's dealing with specific behavior and DTCs only and it seems like the only fix he's talking about is replacing the solenoids and a transistor). That might have been his way of saying he doesn't fix stuff relating to the ICs on the board - his description might have just been a bit clumsy since he's likely not talking to people who know anything in that world.

I'm a little surprised a used part isn't available. I see a fair amount of trucks of that vintage up here rusting out - I have to imagine there are a few where the abs module survived longer than the rest of the vehicle. If you guys go the desperation route, I hope it's something simple.

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
It's pretty far out of my area of expertise - I haven't ever been a board level guy, I deal in systems. I'd definitely defer to this guy over myself in this.

Other than what your friend brought up, the one thing I can think is he's just talking about are just ICs themselves. Looking at that ABS fixer site, it appears he's sort of carved out a niche dealing with faults on the bigger discreet components (for those GM parts, he's dealing with specific behavior and DTCs only and it seems like the only fix he's talking about is replacing the solenoids and a transistor). That might have been his way of saying he doesn't fix stuff relating to the ICs on the board - his description might have just been a bit clumsy since he's likely not talking to people who know anything in that world.

I'm a little surprised a used part isn't available. I see a fair amount of trucks of that vintage up here rusting out - I have to imagine there are a few where the abs module survived longer than the rest of the vehicle. If you guys go the desperation route, I hope it's something simple.
Yeah abs fixer guy is niche dude. I imagine he’s resoldering blown diodes, resistors etc and fixing cold joints.

My buddy is way lower level and I know enough to get around logic analyzer, o scopes etc so I’m curious to see what we find. I found a junkyard that specializes in duramax parts so shot them an email yesterday. I may have also found a used one elsewhere but need to call to confirm part number, not giving my hopes up.

Diving into this, there’s a whole market for 2000s corvette owners in this same situation. Which is who sounded to be the primary customer of abs fixer.

• 1Harrow

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I’ve seen good things about the Taycan. Have you driven it?
I have. I love how it looks, but I don't want an EV. If they made a Panamera with the looks of a Taycan, I'd maybe do that instead of the Cayenne for a daily.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
From the previous posts it looked like S was the config in question 🤷

from what I recall, the more expensive trims were all hybrids and I assumed you didn’t get a hybrid.
I have a Cayenne turbo and a Cayenne Turbo GT on order and coming later this spring. The new S is a heck of a daily/family car though. People who haven't driven or lived with these cars don't understand how much better they are made and feel versus everything else.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
What’s a fun sports car that will last you forever? When I say forever I mean it won’t have modules discontinued in 10-15 years. Something from the 80s or early 90s? Maybe fuck it and restomod?

• 1Harrow

Palum

what Suineg set it to
What’s a fun sports car that will last you forever? When I say forever I mean it won’t have modules discontinued in 10-15 years. Something from the 80s or early 90s? Maybe fuck it and restomod?
You mean take a car that will last you forever and fill it with modules that will be discontinued and unavailable in 10-15 years?

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
You mean take a car that will last you forever and fill it with modules that will be discontinued and unavailable in 10-15 years?
I think that’s the opposite of what I’m saying?

I’m guessing older Porsches.

• 1Harrow

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>

You're speaking as if it's an established fact that EVs are boring to drive. I'll concede that I *sometimes* miss my old stickshift, but my S has been nothing but fun to drive even as a commuter car. The joy as I use the cheat-mode acceleration to blast by both cars when that one faggot starts to tailgate to not let you merge on the highway is priceless. Plus it's fun getting new features and toys when that famous Tesla Christmas patch hits.

But I get that they aren't for everyone, and that's ok too.

• 1Picard

ToeMissile

<Gold Donor>
You're speaking as if it's an established fact that EVs are boring to drive. I'll concede that I *sometimes* miss my old stickshift, but my S has been nothing but fun to drive even as a commuter car. The joy as I use the cheat-mode acceleration to blast by both cars when that one faggot starts to tailgate to not let you merge on the highway is priceless. Plus it's fun getting new features and toys when that famous Tesla Christmas patch hits.

But I get that they aren't for everyone, and that's ok too.
The point is handling/driving experience in more of a non-commute setting.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Honestly man I have one of those really fast ev's (audi etron gt) and it's not the same. It's nauseatingly fast in a straight line but doesn't feel good - it's power delivery isn't pleasant and after the first handful of "throw your passengers head back to give them whiplash" I'm kind of over it tbh. Probably going to get rid of it (the value has also plummeted) and buy a fast suv like my wifes Cayenne Coupe. Probably X6 M50 or something. Also, the range drops more than I'm comfortable with in the winter (particularly in Oklahoma where we get a ton of well below freezing days past few years).

It does look cool though, wish that body shape had an 8 cylinder engine in it

• 1Like

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Honestly man I have one of those really fast ev's (audi etron gt) and it's not the same. It's nauseatingly fast in a straight line but doesn't feel good - it's power delivery isn't pleasant and after the first handful of "throw your passengers head back to give them whiplash" I'm kind of over it tbh. Probably going to get rid of it (the value has also plummeted) and buy a fast suv like my wifes Cayenne Coupe. Probably X6 M50 or something. Also, the range drops more than I'm comfortable with in the winter (particularly in Oklahoma where we get a ton of well below freezing days past few years).

It does look cool though, wish that body shape had an 8 cylinder engine in it
Etron is an awesome looking car, but there are definitely equally comfortable alternatives without the worry of a dead battery for days on end, in the winter.

just don’t get the X6. That is one of the worst looking vehicles on the road. Have you seen its rear? Lol

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Really? Man I like it more than my wifes Cayenne Coupe S, particularly the interior. I love the tail lights!

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
I think what Foler means is less restomod, and maybe more backdate. Take a modern car with a good engine (LS, coyote, 392, whatever) and rip off all the electronic shit and put a carb system on it, for example. People have done that with LS engines (typically to put into old muscle cars), but it does cost you efficiency and power compared to modern EFI/Ignition. But it's more efficient and better power/weight than using old iron block engines due to weight and modern metallurgy being better. Alternatively you can add aftermarket versions of electronic fuel injection/ignition, such as megasquirt. That kind of thing can always be updated because something new that comes along is designed to be adapted in some way to existing systems.

As far as the abs module in your truck, just fucking bypass it why don't you? It doesn't brick your truck, just the brakes, right? Put in non-abs brakes. Find a used module on ebay or a junkyard or something. There's ways around all that kind of shit.

As far as simple sports cars, it's not a big list. Miatas, early 3.0 Z3's maybe, c5 corvettes might be relatively gadget free(not sure), S2000's. Anything past about 2005 or so is going to have more and more tech added. To get truly mechanical you have to go back to the 80's, and even then it's no guarantee. Early Porsche 928's for example are famous for being chock full of proprietary electrical relays that go bad and are basically unobtainium. Good luck figuring out what they all do and replacing them with something that will either last a long time, or just gutting the car of all of that stuff and still having it work in the way you would want. There's also the mechanical fuel injection (Bosch K/jetronic... I think) on all the Euro stuff from back then is pretty complicated and hard to find parts for now and requires a pretty knowledgeable mechanic to get working right.

Me, if I was building a simple mechanical sports car for non-mint amounts of money and I could fit in them, it would be a Miata built up to look like a light duty trackday weapon. A few years ago I would have said build up a fox body mustang for relatively cheap, but I think they've come up in price a lot. Maybe the late 90's (SN95) mustangs could do it, but finding a non-busted one is going to be tough. I've always kind of liked the 89-92 model Thunderbirds looks-wise, and under the skin they share most of their parts with fox bodies, apparently. Building up one of those might be a more unusual choice and cheaper than a same year mustang, but finding a manual one would be tough so you'd need to do a swap because fuck autotragics. Probably not too bad when you start out with something cheap, but eh, it would still be a pretty big project.

• 1Like