What vehicle do you drive?

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah, definitely less options just in OC. You’ll probably want to stick to the coast and head north past LA or go inland a bit and hit the mountains.

PCH is from Malibu up as far as you can go is amazing.
I used to do PCH a lot, but only from Newport Beach to Malibu. Never been further north on that road. Will add it to the list.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I used to do PCH a lot, but only from Newport Beach to Malibu. Never been further north on that road. Will add it to the list.
Ah, imo all the best areas are between the larger cities. Up past Pismo Beach through Big Sur to Monterey is bucket list worthy.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

lurker

Vyemm Raider
You don't need a Porsche to drive 15mph behind a motorhome up Hwy 1 in CA.

• 3Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 4 users

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I'm not a huge mustang fan but it seems like an 06+ GT is the lowest barrier for entry for drifting these days. I feel dirty even considering it.

• 1Worf

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I'm not a huge mustang fan but it seems like an 06+ GT is the lowest barrier for entry for drifting these days. I feel dirty even considering it.
Mustang uses bigger and wider tires than the majority of import though? With drifting, that cost could make a difference.

Also, wouldn't drifting put more stresses on a car than racing it normally, and thus cause other parts to break faster? Smaller turbo 4 banger engines and drivetrains parts from Japan should be cheaper than V6 or V8 Ford parts?

Hekotat

Mustang uses bigger and wider tires than the majority of import though? With drifting, that cost could make a difference.

Also, wouldn't drifting put more stresses on a car than racing it normally, and thus cause other parts to break faster? Smaller turbo 4 banger engines and drivetrains parts from Japan should be cheaper than V6 or V8 Ford parts?

It's not about breaking it's more about what it takes to get it drift ready. Be it power, suspension and knuckles. Out of the box it has the power, it just needs coilovers, welded diff and knuckles and it's ready to go.

If I went with say an IS300 I'd have to spend probably as much as I spent on the entire mustang setup just on mods for it, then add in another 10k for an is300 and that's for a shitbox. For instance when I had my ae86 the coilover kit at the time was $2,600.00 bucks. I can get an equivalent for sub 1k on the stang. Plus any RWD japanese car is retardadly priced these days. Drift missle with no engine beat to shit with half the body panels missing and the other half encaved going for 12k or more. The entire market is fucked.

• 1Solidarity

Burns

It's not about breaking it's more about what it takes to get it drift ready. Be it power, suspension and knuckles. Out of the box it has the power, it just needs coilovers, welded diff and knuckles and it's ready to go.

If I went with say an IS300 I'd have to spend probably as much as I spent on the entire mustang setup just on mods for it, then add in another 10k for an is300 and that's for a shitbox. For instance when I had my ae86 the coilover kit at the time was $2,600.00 bucks. I can get an equivalent for sub 1k on the stang. Plus any RWD japanese car is retardadly priced these days. Drift missle with no engine beat to shit with half the body panels missing and the other half encaved going for 12k or more. The entire market is fucked.
Ah, didn't know drifting was so expensive. Always thought it was the "cheap" way to have fun at the track with low HP cars, instead of spending a bunch of money trying to get 400+ HP on a frame with proper weight distribution.

With the prices you're describing, there are cheaper C5/6 Vettes and possibly Porsches around the $20k mark that it would cost to outfit that IS300 (neither would have coilovers though). So yea, car hobbies are expensive hobbies how ever you slice it now, I guess.

• 1Like

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

American car and American parts are far and away cheaper than any import.

Burns

American car and American parts are far and away cheaper than any import.
I though Japan had mass production, plants in the US, and simplicity in design (Turbo i4 vs v6/v8) to drive costs down. I don't picture Euro imports when I think of drifting.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I though Japan had mass production, plants in the US, and simplicity in design (Turbo i4 vs v6/v8) to drive costs down. I don't picture Euro imports when I think of drifting.

They do have production in the states for new stuff. But, there are still more US brands and a much larger aftermarket for US brands (in the states).

Dollar for dollar, you will get more power from a US car with mods. But, that won't mean it drives better or looks better or lasts longer.

• 1Like

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
Can you still get stripped out Miata's for cheap these days? Get an A or B series miata, get a super/turbo kit for a couple grand, throw some suspension on it, throw a half cage on it, and hit the track used to be The Way.

I can see new edge to 2010 mustang's filling that role though. Kinda sad if that's the last path to cheap speed these days :(

• 1Like

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Ok what's the best
Can you still get stripped out Miata's for cheap these days? Get an A or B series miata, get a super/turbo kit for a couple grand, throw some suspension on it, throw a half cage on it, and hit the track used to be The Way.

I can see new edge to 2010 mustang's filling that role though. Kinda sad if that's the last path to cheap speed these days :(

Eh 'cheap' no. < 10K with 100k+ on it sure, NC anyway.

Hekotat

Problem with miatas is the short wheel base, they are super snappy in transitions and really hard to keep balanced in the drift. As a beginner I'd be doing myself a serious disservice using this as a starter vehicle. Otherwise a miata with a supercharger would be the best entry point.

• 1Like

Axiel

Molten Core Raider

Assuming you don't just blow the engine, the rest of an old Miata (tires, brakes, radiator) isn't built enough for that extra power. Mustangs from 2010 still had live axle and drive more like vintage muscle.

350Z is starting to get pretty affordable

• 1Like

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Fuck why are all the 86s and BRZs so expensive. I kinda wanted to get one and put a supercharger on it so it wasn't a dog but wtf.

• 1Solidarity

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Fuck why are all the 86s and BRZs so expensive. I kinda wanted to get one and put a supercharger on it so it wasn't a dog but wtf.
Because they are fun and popular. But, I don’t think that version of the motor would survive much boost. Their turbo EJs end up failing and they are boosted from the factory.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Because they are fun and popular. But, I don’t think that version of the motor would survive much boost. Their turbo EJs end up failing and they are boosted from the factory.
Dang

Is there anything affordable in that size category anyone? Miatas are through the roof too. At least nice NDs without a salvage title.