What vehicle do you drive?

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I have. Obviously, it's not as common as a Miata. But, it's not hard at all.

I'm just trying to set expectations about the car and it's potential. If you don't spend a lot of money on it, it'll be nothing more than a purpose built _______ and it'll show.

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
Ya, his is waaaay more money than I'd want to spend, at least 20K more. I think Cayman S price ranges are around the 30K mark for a good one right about now. Also 997's are around 30K for 100k mile(ish) ones right now as well. I just keep hearing the siren song of "Find a cool Project Car that you can personalize to your taaaaaaste". It's not logical at all :(

And as far as image, buying an older car that is more than just A - B transportation is always an emotional decision. How people perceive you in it, and how you perceive yourself in it are very relevant IMO.

It's like if you're a disgusting fatbody, but look in the mirror and see Ryan Gosling. You're not going to be treated like Ryan Gosling by everyone else, even if you perceive yourself that way.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Ya, his is waaaay more money than I'd want to spend, at least 20K more. I think Cayman S price ranges are around the 30K mark for a good one right about now. Also 997's are around 30K for 100k mile(ish) ones right now as well. I just keep hearing the siren song of "Find a cool Project Car that you can personalize to your taaaaaaste". It's not logical at all :(

And as far as image, buying an older car that is more than just A - B transportation is always an emotional decision. How people perceive you in it, and how you perceive yourself in it are very relevant IMO.

It's like if you're a disgusting fatbody, but look in the mirror and see Ryan Gosling. You're not going to be treated like Ryan Gosling by everyone else, even if you perceive yourself that way.

The whole "project car" that has all this crazy shit done and you end up with a super unique vehicle that makes it into magazine articles etc... you know who wins with those cars?

The shops that lit your money on fire building them.

You will never get your money back on customization. EVER. Just buy the car that fits your performance goal today, stock, even if it's expensive. Because it'll hold value. Want a 3.2 second 0-60 car? Get a GT-R and throw a Cobb on it. Want a track monster? Get a C5Z06 or C6Z06, and leave it mostly stock. Want a drag race car? ... kill yourself, because drag racing is stupid.

But the point is, it's just dumb to think about taking those antiques and completely rebuilding the car. Just pile your money up and flush it down the toilet, it would be easier and less frustrating.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I've never cared how people perceive me in my car. I don't see it as comparable to being in shape and healthy. That said, I do put a lot of stock in how fun the car is and how much I look forward to driving it(and as I posted recently, my current car has neither of those going for it). :(

• 1Solidarity

Lightning Fast
The whole "project car" that has all this crazy shit done and you end up with a super unique vehicle that makes it into magazine articles etc... you know who wins with those cars?

The shops that lit your money on fire building them.

You will never get your money back on customization. EVER. Just buy the car that fits your performance goal today, stock, even if it's expensive. Because it'll hold value. Want a 3.2 second 0-60 car? Get a GT-R and throw a Cobb on it. Want a track monster? Get a C5Z06 or C6Z06, and leave it mostly stock. Want a drag race car? ... kill yourself, because drag racing is stupid.

But the point is, it's just dumb to think about taking those antiques and completely rebuilding the car. Just pile your money up and flush it down the toilet, it would be easier and less frustrating.

See, my rational mind knows all this. And I agree with you to a point. I just keep having these feelings. I may need to go pray the project car away at a camp or something.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
See, my rational mind knows all this. And I agree with you to a point. I just keep having these feelings. I may need to go pray the project car away at a camp or something.

I've been balls deep in a BMW myself and learned that lesson. Sometimes you just have to do it yourself and add up all the expenses and see. My $90k porsche will cost me a shit ton less to own over the 2-3 years I own it than that god damned BMW did, and it's ludicrously faster, better looking, more reliable, etc.

It's one of those things. Like banging crazy chicks. You just have to stop. It seems fun, but it isn't. It's bad for you.

• 1Solidarity

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Sigh. I think it's time to update my truck. Top and bottom ball joints in the front end. Another $800. It is a 1999, but it only has 89,000 miles on it. Perhaps it's time to get the F150 I've always wanted.

Lightning Fast
I've been balls deep in a BMW myself and learned that lesson. Sometimes you just have to do it yourself and add up all the expenses and see. My $90k porsche will cost me a shit ton less to own over the 2-3 years I own it than that god damned BMW did, and it's ludicrously faster, better looking, more reliable, etc.

It's one of those things. Like banging crazy chicks. You just have to stop. It seems fun, but it isn't. It's bad for you.

I think you may be right. My other thought has been to just get something somewhat fun and sensible like a fairly recent MK6 GTI to daily and then tinker with old motorcycles. Tinkering with bikes is MUCH cheaper than cars. Only trouble is I live in a place where you can only ride bikes realistically 6 months out of the year :(

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I think you may be right. My other thought has been to just get something somewhat fun and sensible like a fairly recent MK6 GTI to daily and then tinker with old motorcycles. Tinkering with bikes is MUCH cheaper than cars. Only trouble is I live in a place where you can only ride bikes realistically 6 months out of the year :(

And you fuck up one time on a bike (or a car fucks up) and you're a goddamn grease spot. I value my life too much to be on 2 wheels anymore.

Lightning Fast
And you fuck up one time on a bike (or a car fucks up) and you're a goddamn grease spot. I value my life too much to be on 2 wheels anymore.

Ok now you're just being:

ecf8eb6ec29dd0f2da472a6f219fa769.jpg

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I missed it, what are you driving? HC?

Yup. It's my daily driver, currently. Moved from So Cal to Houston in May and decided I needed a more 'Merican car. It's a lot of fun.

20160920_193240.jpg

Wow, that picture came out terrible on the forum.

• 1Like

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
Yup. It's my daily driver, currently. Moved from So Cal to Houston in May and decided I needed a more 'Merican car. It's a lot of fun.

View attachment 110603

Wow, that picture came out terrible on the forum.

Nice fucking ride. Is that TorRed or Redline? Looks TorRed in that pic. Great combo!

EDIT: on my iPad pic looked fine, on my PC and that shit is definitely potato quality now lol.

Last edited:

Lightning Fast
Some people have a higher threshold for risk than others, and my brother nearly died in a bike wreck, so stow the attitude.

• 1Rustled

Aamry

Blackwing Lair Raider
I wrecked my bike going around 45mph, only broke my collar bone. Wasn't wearing a helmet either.

I still want a new bike.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
I sold my Ducati a year ago after my buddies dad got creamed on his. Was hit from behind only going like 30mph but the truck caught his back tire squirrely, pushed him up and out 15 yards with no helmet. Half his fucking face was ripped off.

Needless to say it was a closed casket. Nothing more fun though, but too many dumb fuck drivers around.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Some people have a higher threshold for risk than others, and my brother nearly died in a bike wreck, so stow the attitude.

Shrug, it's all good either way man, I'm just saying for my personal risk tolerance, I won't be on 2 wheels anymore. I enjoy my suit of steel armor. To each his own, I'm not saying you should do anything.

• 1Solidarity

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Sigh. I think it's time to update my truck. Top and bottom ball joints in the front end. Another $800. It is a 1999, but it only has 89,000 miles on it. Perhaps it's time to get the F150 I've always wanted.

My 1998 is all rust except for the windshield, I'm hesitant to put a full tank of gas in it anymore but really it doesn't have any problems. Gonna be a bummer when I have to get another one, no payments is glorious