What vehicle do you drive?

Kobayashi

Vyemm Raider
But they do have a hot "tire girl..."

OMFG.

View attachment 502511
I feel like if the tires are anything like her, those tats and purple hair scream bad decision...

A buddy of mine always did the Blizzaks on steelies approach, but was experimenting with some all season Michelin CrossClimate 2s when he didn't have the storage space. He was pretty impressed with them - performance seemed pretty reasonable in the summer and they weren't loud on dry pavement. Felt they were pretty comparable in the snow too. The winter side of the experiment was cut short though, ironically, because a truck going in the opposite direction lost traction on a curve and plowed straight into him and totalled his vehicle. So, can't say how well it held up. I feel like all seasons are the only way I'd go if I didn't have a second set of wheels.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I feel like if the tires are anything like her, those tats and purple hair scream bad decision...

A buddy of mine always did the Blizzaks on steelies approach, but was experimenting with some all season Michelin CrossClimate 2s when he didn't have the storage space. He was pretty impressed with them - performance seemed pretty reasonable in the summer and they weren't loud on dry pavement. Felt they were pretty comparable in the snow too. The winter side of the experiment was cut short though, ironically, because a truck going in the opposite direction lost traction on a curve and plowed straight into him and totalled his vehicle. So, can't say how well it held up. I feel like all seasons are the only way I'd go if I didn't have a second set of wheels.
Ditto pretty much, havn't got as much snow/ice time as I'd like but so far like them a lot on wifes awd cx5.
Generally I'm a fan of dedicated winter tire though.

I actually need to re-research tires for my truck, I'm over having to have all terrains for looks, I'll keep my muds on some steels or something if I need to tear around my field during rainy season, but would prefer to go back to some sort of snowpeak rated highway tire and get my 4mpg back, I've seen some that have half attractive sidewalls so you don't feel completely dad truck.,

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
I'm considering getting a Rivian as a daily driver. I recently came into procession of a small solar array, and with all the research I've done it looks like I could actually power the car with just solar. I'm not talking about longer trips and such, but day to day if I plug it in overnight it will always be ready to go in the morning. I like the look of them, and I drove one today. Surprisingly peppy, and the handling is outstanding. Comfortable, too.

What do you guys think?

R1T-FRONT-LST_nlhy3f.jpg
Would you plan on using this for homesteading tasks such as towing? Tbh id skip an ev pickup. If you’re looking for something that does light duty hauling and wanna try it with this solar thing you got going I’d be curious to see how you like it in a year. I wouldn’t do it but I fully support you as a test case for this use case. 🙃

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I'm considering getting a Rivian as a daily driver. I recently came into procession of a small solar array, and with all the research I've done it looks like I could actually power the car with just solar. I'm not talking about longer trips and such, but day to day if I plug it in overnight it will always be ready to go in the morning. I like the look of them, and I drove one today. Surprisingly peppy, and the handling is outstanding. Comfortable, too.

What do you guys think?

R1T-FRONT-LST_nlhy3f.jpg
Is this the first EV you’ve driven or heard of? Confused on why you’d be surprised it’s peppy. It’s a battery motor that is delivery massive toque immediately. All the EVs are like that.

I would not buy a vehicle from a brand new company that is having all kinds of issues because I’d be concerned on if I would have any support 5-10 years down the road, or problems getting parts if I got in an accident or things like that. But if you like it and aren’t concerned with that, go for it. Powering a car from a solar array definitely would have the “it’s cheap as fuck” appeal to it.

Siliconemelons

Rivian wont die die, at worst it will be purchased by new start up / merge, midground event it is purchased by current standard auto like Ford or GM whatever, at best, it will be purcahsed by Tesla to be their truck/suv/offroady division.

Same for Lucid, only it would become Tesla's ultra lux division.

I would love a Rivian tuck or suv to replace my Mach-E...but I don't want to pay for it... if used get better in-line with what they should be, perhaps.

Mizake

Trakanon Raider
Rivian wont die die, at worst it will be purchased by new start up / merge, midground event it is purchased by current standard auto like Ford or GM whatever, at best, it will be purcahsed by Tesla to be their truck/suv/offroady division.

Same for Lucid, only it would become Tesla's ultra lux division.

I would love a Rivian tuck or suv to replace my Mach-E...but I don't want to pay for it... if used get better in-line with what they should be, perhaps.

This is an interesting take. I feel like the opposite. Once the major car makers get their act together and enter the EV market, I think Rivian and Lucid go the way of Fisker. I don't see why any other auto manufacturer would want to pay millions to take over a company that makes cars few people want. It would be cheaper to let these companies enter into bankruptcy and then pick apart the corpses.

These companies are not profitable. With how few cars they sell there does not seem to be a pathway for them to profitability. I don't know how much runway these companies have left but I'm guessing less than 5 years.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
This is an interesting take. I feel like the opposite. Once the major car makers get their act together and enter the EV market, I think Rivian and Lucid go the way of Fisker. I don't see why any other auto manufacturer would want to pay millions to take over a company that makes cars few people want. It would be cheaper to let these companies enter into bankruptcy and then pick apart the corpses.

These companies are not profitable. With how few cars they sell there does not seem to be a pathway for them to profitability. I don't know how much runway these companies have left but I'm guessing less than 5 years.
This is what I imagine happens too without some bullshit government intervention to keep the small companies alive. I just don’t see why a giant corporation would buy a tiny failing one unless they thought they had some high value forward looking technology they could use. I think this would already be happening if they did.

Siliconemelons

Your last sentence was said of Tesla until they were a good 2? years into the 3 and Y... the S and X (and Truck) are nitche / super / lux cars, but the Y and 3 sell a ton.

Aside from the product portfolios that Lucid and Rivian hold and would be a material acquisition - /because/ they are their own separate entities and have been building (or trying to) up infrastructure etc. they are very valuable to Tesla (imo) more-so than the traditional makers, and also to new start ups that want to bypass all of that headache.

The service centers, the experienced technicians all are of vast value to a new company or to Tesla seeking to continue to expand rapidly.

Tesla, Rivian, Lucid etc. all have too few models - but together...

I saw a Fiskar Ocean, way bigger than I thought it would be - so those things are starting to get out in the wild so that is good. Also if they can make their truck? and actually produce them, they may get something going.

Also I think both? Rivian and Lucid were started from ex-Tesla people - Elon would buy them just for some type of middle finger / pride... but really all in all those two examples are most valuable to Tesla or a new start up that needs a leg up.

The sale of the companies would be for less than what they have spent in the last X years building, designing and making manufacturing plants and pipelines.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Would you plan on using this for homesteading tasks such as towing? Tbh id skip an ev pickup. If you’re looking for something that does light duty hauling and wanna try it with this solar thing you got going I’d be curious to see how you like it in a year. I wouldn’t do it but I fully support you as a test case for this use case. 🙃
Very topical vid, seems to be very straightforward/matter-of-fact. From what I’ve seen the issues this guy has had are on the rare/extreme end of things. Lots of good insights into gliding the R1T for proper ranch/homesteading.

Mizake

Trakanon Raider
Your last sentence was said of Tesla until they were a good 2? years into the 3 and Y... the S and X (and Truck) are nitche / super / lux cars, but the Y and 3 sell a ton.

Aside from the product portfolios that Lucid and Rivian hold and would be a material acquisition - /because/ they are their own separate entities and have been building (or trying to) up infrastructure etc. they are very valuable to Tesla (imo) more-so than the traditional makers, and also to new start ups that want to bypass all of that headache.

The service centers, the experienced technicians all are of vast value to a new company or to Tesla seeking to continue to expand rapidly.

Tesla, Rivian, Lucid etc. all have too few models - but together...

I saw a Fiskar Ocean, way bigger than I thought it would be - so those things are starting to get out in the wild so that is good. Also if they can make their truck? and actually produce them, they may get something going.

Also I think both? Rivian and Lucid were started from ex-Tesla people - Elon would buy them just for some type of middle finger / pride... but really all in all those two examples are most valuable to Tesla or a new start up that needs a leg up.

The sale of the companies would be for less than what they have spent in the last X years building, designing and making manufacturing plants and pipelines.

Again, the difference between Tesla and Lucid/Rivian is one of scale. All 3 companies have the advantage of being first to market, ahead of the legacy auto makers.

Tesla was not profitable early on, true. Those early years of unprofitability were when they sold the original Roadster and Tesla had just begun selling the S. However, you could tell they would achieve profitability because once they actually started selling mass-market cars (beginning with the S, X, then really accelerating with the 3/Y), they became profitable.

Now look at Rivian and Lucid. Their numbers are flat, or going down. They are not scaling at all. The biggest problem is going to be market share. Once the legacy/Japanese automakers enter the EV market at scale, you no longer have your lead. Even Tesla is going to suffer for it. Small companies like Rivian and Lucid will just probably go under. How can you not see that Rivian/Lucid have more in common with Fisker than with Tesla or BYD?

If you thought for a second that Rivian or Lucid would somehow be able to turn it around, or get bought out by a bigger automaker....then you would consider their stock to be a good purchase right? Do you own stock in those companies? Would you buy stock in those companies? I wouldn't touch them with a 10-foot pole. Do much risk, not enough upside.

Mizake

Trakanon Raider

Wanted to also focus on this point.

First off, the biggest "fuck you" by Elon wouldn't be to save Rivian or Lucid, it would be watching them burn to the ground. "See? You thought it was so easy to start a EV company, but you failed".

Also, Tesla already has designs and manufacturing to build many models. Buying either of those companies add nothing. Even if they took over their plant, they would have to be retooled to build Teslas. Why would you continue to build Rivians or Lucids and sell 2,000 cars when you could sell 20,000 Model Ys? It would cost millions to re-fit the plants to make a different car.

Which is why it would be cheaper to let the company go into bankruptcy and then grab the assets later.

Siliconemelons

If only stock had a grasp on reality, my Tesla stock would be doing better ;-)

Scale and heavy weight of start up (that both Rivian and Lucid have done) is the reason they would be of value. Rivian is building a service center nearby, so they are active. Of the two, I would go with Rivian over Lucid. As for stock again, I am not saying Rivian started as 10$, build 10$ worth of stuff and is sold for 20$ or more... no, if they are going under for real and crash and burn, that 20$ is bought for 5 or something, and /that/ is the value to prospects.

Sometimes companies are purchased for odd things or "parts" of their product that may not even really be "a product" until they are purchased. Like my absolute favorite "Hyper Converged" storage solution, Datrium. They made a storage solution that was insane for Desktop Virtualization and high access / iops Server. They had essentially mixed traditional NAS and traditional Hyper Converged storage methodologies. You had a datrium "NAS" that was a "slow" storage fail-over that got its data streamed from the hosts "hyper converged" drives - your VM's could operate from any of that storage, whatever was fastest and available - so you could have a ton of hosts that had storage but not an insane amount, as the host storage would not be big enough to cover its peers if peers lost their storage - so you have the downstream NAS that can take over, while peer data is updated or moved or main host data is rebuilt etc... that's a non fully accurate quick description... anywho, they eventually made a cloud version that was basically a cloud hosted NAS "part" of the solution.

VMWare bought them, not for anything in their storage hardware or storage solution portfolio...but for the stream compression they programmed, and now it is VMWares DR solution... all the other aspects of the buisiness that was set to become a quadrent leader in storage hardware and solutions, poof, purchased for essentially an encryption code.

Siliconemelons

Wanted to also focus on this point.

First off, the biggest "fuck you" by Elon wouldn't be to save Rivian or Lucid, it would be watching them burn to the ground. "See? You thought it was so easy to start a EV company, but you failed".

Also, Tesla already has designs and manufacturing to build many models. Buying either of those companies add nothing. Even if they took over their plant, they would have to be retooled to build Teslas. Why would you continue to build Rivians or Lucids and sell 2,000 cars when you could sell 20,000 Model Ys? It would cost millions to re-fit the plants to make a different car.

Which is why it would be cheaper to let the company go into bankruptcy and then grab the assets later.

The cybertuck is not a real truck...its a vanity truck... it will sell but it wont be like the Y/3... look at S and X they are nowhere near the other 2.

Tesla's offerings are getting long in tooth, in look size etc. Tesla getting Rivian (more likely than Lucid) is like "Jeep" to "Dodge" - and I would not say or imply it would not be at anything but a pennys on the dollar deal... and again, Elon if buying it, would be like ill save you, but your fireing no golden parachute the dude that came from tesla. Oh he would make a deal of it and say the same things, you failed, so I had to save you.. Just like his Bob Iger statement, he will /let people know/ the reasons.

Mizake

Trakanon Raider
The cybertuck is not a real truck...its a vanity truck... it will sell but it wont be like the Y/3... look at S and X they are nowhere near the other 2.

Tesla's offerings are getting long in tooth, in look size etc. Tesla getting Rivian (more likely than Lucid) is like "Jeep" to "Dodge" - and I would not say or imply it would not be at anything but a pennys on the dollar deal... and again, Elon if buying it, would be like ill save you, but your fireing no golden parachute the dude that came from tesla. Oh he would make a deal of it and say the same things, you failed, so I had to save you.. Just like his Bob Iger statement, he will /let people know/ the reasons.

Tesla is able to produce vanity cars like the Cybertruck and the Roadster 2 because they sell other profitable models.

Pop quiz: Which model sold more cars last year? Tesla model S or Porche 911? I don't think you realize the amount of Teslas being sold, all models.

Also, I'm willing to bet that the "vanity" Cybertruck sells more units than Lucid and Rivian combined.

So yeah, if Elon is vindictive, outselling Rivian/Lucid until they go broke has to be the biggest "fuck you".

• 1Like

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
Can't get 18 steelies?
Can-- but not cheap... more expensive than the option of just swapping out the tires off the 19" rims (provided there isn't a douchebag swapping them out and cracking the stock rims).

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
100 miles into my Nexen winter tires... No real snow yet just icy conditions.
Holy shit is there a lot of challenging data to sort through with regard to snows/winter tires. A lot of it is pretty questionable with regard to real world meaningful utility.
There are tons of road tests and stopping tests for the top 40 brands. Near as I figure, the difference between a great tire and a good tire on ice/snow is a stopping value difference of about 6 meters over 60 meters Yup that's about it.

By the way there are a TON of websites dedicated to this geeky/tire shit. Like thetirelab.com, tyrereviews, consumerreports, etc etc etc etc

And-- if that isn't confusing enough, you have to factor in ALL types of road conditions:
-Wet
-Dry
-Ice
-Snow
-Mud
-Gravel

And factor in noise, comfort, price, and size availability (and maybe warranty/reputation).

How MUCH snow driving am I planning on doing? Truth is as little as possible with 99%+ of my driving being on paved/dry/highway roads.
Taking all that data into the equation and you have a hot mess of statistics and not a whole lot of definitive stuff.

BUT-- I know my Blizzaks-- I have had no less than 6 sets of them. They are reliable and pricey and loud. They get me to where I needed to go and also are good for chasing the after effects of a snowstorm in ski country (the greatest irony is that there is almost never a reason to drive IN a storm to go skiing. Go before or after, During won't get you good conditions or even, necessarily, an open ski slope).

The Nexens stats are better in price, better in snow, better in comfort.
But there are 10-30 stats that get fleshed out, understeering, hydroplaning, cornering, circling, traction, exterior noise, interior noise, resistance, warranty, reputation, and on and on and on and on...

So-- what's most important if you are a regular dude? What do they cost? What do they do? How do they drive (for 99% of the time).

It's unbearable to the point of meaninglessness. However, I have put 100 miles on the new Nexen Winter Sport 2 tires. They ARE quieter than the Blizzaks. They were available in the Golf R size tire. The go FAST as fuck. We'll see how they do when I have to go through my first snowstorm, but with all the tests, they are BETTER in snow than the Blizzaks. And quieter.

Might as well decide on who has the best tire based on the tire models. And I don't mean the what goes on the wheels!

I think They will do. The Golf R standard rims are a weird size that the Hakkennesplacchkenns are not available in anyway...

1701476862924.png

1701476951221.png

1701477020686.png

1701477050154.png

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Well you could be one of those people who just buys the discount used snow tires with all the siping worn through already and then complains when you crash your car while driving 20 over in the middle of a blizzard?

• 1Worf

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
Man we have way more EV drivers here than I ever thought possible. I love my 2021 S (last ones before the S refresh), it's so nice never having to go to the gas station or change oil, though I'm still on the hook for the wife's van, and I biatch the whole time :p

According to the app, I paid 28$ in electricity over the last 30 days or so, it seems accurate.

Last road trip I went on was from VA to Ginny Springs in FL. All of the superchargers were right on the major highway, no time lost there; as long as you only charge to 80% or so it's super fast. The ONE situation I need to charge more was just before the springs. We went camping there for the week, and it was kind of rural, so I needed a good charge to go in, park for a week with sentry mode on , then have enough juice to drive out. If you have to top off the battery, you are in for a long wait.

I have some sweet illegal tint, but is it really illegal if the staties aren't allowed to pull you over just for tint because it was bad for black people? Sounds legal to me!

If you paid for auto pilot, my only warning is to be careful using summon, the latest few patches have REALLY fucked it up, and it will run shit over.