What vehicle do you drive?

Kobayashi

Vyemm Raider
Vinfast from Vietnam isn't doing it. It is a laughably shit car that not even Vietnamese people buy. I'd be surprised if they make it a year before giving up here.
Jalopnik is a garbage tier blog run by communists who hate cars, but this was a good article:

I also don't see how Vinfast survives in the US. With extremely soft EV demand, I don't see how a vehicle with such reputational damage is going to poach sales from established players that are going to have to sell below sticker.

Fucker

Log Wizard
Jalopnik is a garbage tier blog run by communists who hate cars, but this was a good article:

I also don't see how Vinfast survives in the US. With extremely soft EV demand, I don't see how a vehicle with such reputational damage is going to poach sales from established players that are going to have to sell below sticker.
They aren't going to survive, and I'm sure more than one person has told them this. For whatever reason, here they are, and they are building a manufacturing plant here that I guess will end up abandoned or sold before it starts stamping out cars.

They would have had a tough time selling cars that were 100% as good as others, but they want to sell trash at a large premium. And what's with the name? Don't they have a branding department? VinFast sounds like a breakfast drink for alcoholics. They needed to have a perfect 110% car to have even the tiniest shot at making it, that they think this pile of trash has a chance speaks to how absolutely far out of reality they are.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
They aren't going to survive, and I'm sure more than one person has told them this. For whatever reason, here they are, and they are building a manufacturing plant here that I guess will end up abandoned or sold before it starts stamping out cars.

They would have had a tough time selling cars that were 100% as good as others, but they want to sell trash at a large premium. And what's with the name? Don't they have a branding department? VinFast sounds like a breakfast drink for alcoholics. They needed to have a perfect 110% car to have even the tiniest shot at making it, that they think this pile of trash has a chance speaks to how absolutely far out of reality they are.
Or its a tax dodge or investment scam.

Siliconemelons

I have had good luck with all my Nissan / Infiniti products - I would consider a Rogue Sport for my kids when its time for their first car right now.

Nissan gets a lot of hate on looks, but they have been ahead of the game on a few "car-fashon" trends and never given credit lol - floating roof, being a recent. the 2nd generation Murano was ahead of its time on style of crossovers that many copied. They pioneered the 360 camera, the dual radar (that has saved us twice on the interstate) - where one is normal and the 2nd bounces under the car in-front of you to get the one ahead of that - our QX60 started going crazy and slammed on the breaks about 2-3 sec before the car in front of us even started breaking. My QX60's adaptive cruise control worked more "natural" in following and breaking etc. than my Volvo did.

As for China - there was a documentary a while back that essentially put the fall of China's poor quality on the hands of the importer - there is in-China QC checks by the company that made the order - say, Fires of Heavens inc set up making widget A, we had the right to inspect the widget before it left China - we could do QC and say it is crap, re-make it, at the expense of the manufacturer not meeting the goal. And that is how it worked...until many state side businesses got more-in-bed with the factories in China...so sending stuff back cost "us" money, rather than just costing "them" money - so now we do not do this process.

Yes this is super simplified and not a singular thing, but a thing.

As for China's cars... if they make them to sell in the USA they have to meet our safety standards, and they would need to meet our consumer expectations... one obviously has lag time.

My parents traveled to Russia - Zelenegrad many times for missions trip to our church's sister church - one year we bought them a church van, it was like 10k - my Dad talked to the people and was came along when they picked it up from the dealer etc. essentially he was like "why is it only 10k! this would be like 30k in the states! thats a good deal" - the natives then explained, their cars last 1/3 the time as american cars. Again a generalization...but China consumers on autos have a different expectation than americans do- so the people making the cars would obviously have to adjust.

Heck, right now - I bet a 7k car that lasts 3 years would sell well in this current age.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Interestingly, a lot of OEMs are shitting their pants over what they see with the infotainment systems in Chinese vehicles - conversational level voice commands for most aspects of the vehicle, reductive design with very few hard switches, lots of screens loaded with gimmicky bullshit (like rain in the background if it's raining outside).

I personally hate all of that stuff, wish they would just give me android auto/carplay and leave me alone, but every OEM is trying to come up with whatever they can so the data is flowing through the car and not your phone, so, expect to see this stuff coming soon to all new vehicles. Expect to also see a huge uptick in infotainment system recalls since the backup camera is government regulated and all this complexity is going to impact stability.
When I was in Africa a month ago I had a mess up in my schedule and ended up staying at a chink hotel. Lots of cool gadgets in there I’ve never seen before. I think the coolest thing was the shower. You could set an exact temperature for your water, pick from multiple shower types like hard spray or gentle rainfall in whole shower, and probably could have done more but I don’t read Ching Chong.

Easily one of the nicest showers I’ve been in.

• 1Mother of God

Fucker

Log Wizard
The nightmare continued: "Dealer claimed to have updated the software. My car was delivered to my home and nothing was fixed. In fact, my software reverted to 4.2.1. Now my service manager has no idea what to do. I can't change drive modes, open trunk or frunk, and pre-collision warning turns on all the time. I can still drive but with limited capability. Feels like a car with a sprained ankle."

^ Modern day Ford. Overpriced trash that doesn't work, can't be fixed, and Ford has taken a "maybe we will, maybe we won't" approach to honoring their vehicle warranties.

Fucker

Log Wizard
Or its a tax dodge or investment scam.
It has scam written all over it. Stock is down 96%, so not a very well prepared scam.

My favorite part of the car? Needing to step on the accelerator pedal to disengage the parking brake. <- these people are complete clowns.

Another brilliant idea: full power is only available at 80%+ charge. Are the batteries nickel cadmium? Range is horrible, too.

VF8 started out and ICE platform, but whose platform, and I bet the engineering on it is quite alarmingly bad.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
I'm not saying they're all bad, I loved the Sentra SE-R and some others, just couldn't believe how bad the ergonomics were in the Altima.
Gtr isn’t too bad but damn I wouldn’t pay the price for that level of performance with what else is out there

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Didn't say that.

What I do assert is that the Chinese if left to their own devices don't have a lot of pride in workmanship, they are a corner-cutting haggling culture that constantly feel like "good enough" is the goal to strive for.

Can they make quality goods? Sure. Is it their way? No. Can they surprise me? Sure absolutely. Japan on the other hand has an almost maniacal culture about things being proper and right which doesn't surprise me at all considering what I know of their products. Chinese culture doesn't surprise me at all either considering what I know of their products.

Is it possible for China to make goods for export that are every bit as high quality as those from any other country - absolutely. I just don't expect it based on prior results. Same for Italy or Russia making cars. Can Italy make some badass cars? Obviously. They also make a lot of Fiats.
Wait till you find out that the majority of products going into your (maybe not Tesla) average ex-china car are already Chinese made..

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
So with the advice here and my own research I decided to go with the Toyota Corolla. Gracias.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kobayashi

Vyemm Raider
It has scam written all over it. Stock is down 96%, so not a very well prepared scam.

My favorite part of the car? Needing to step on the accelerator pedal to disengage the parking brake. <- these people are complete clowns.

Another brilliant idea: full power is only available at 80%+ charge. Are the batteries nickel cadmium? Range is horrible, too.

VF8 started out and ICE platform, but whose platform, and I bet the engineering on it is quite alarmingly bad.
Believe it or not, the parking brake thing is actually typical of most new vehicles with an electronic parking brake if they have an auto hold function. When you come to a dead stop, it'll engage the parking brake automatically so you can take your foot off the brake and the vehicle won't creep. The slightest press of the accelerator will then automatically release things. It takes a little getting used to the system since it does introduce a slight lag to power input. You can also typically turn it off (I do unless I'm in bumper to bumper traffic and my foot is tired). All that said, it wouldn't surprise me at all if Vinfast implemented this system extremely poorly and it takes waaay too much accelerator input to defeat, their parking brake takes forever to disengage, or they didn't calibrate the power delivery properly (likely all 3 knowing how half baked everything else was).

The full power delivery only above 80% SOC is my absolute favorite. I'd love to be a fly on the wall when they dreamt up their powertrain.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
The nightmare continued: "Dealer claimed to have updated the software. My car was delivered to my home and nothing was fixed. In fact, my software reverted to 4.2.1. Now my service manager has no idea what to do. I can't change drive modes, open trunk or frunk, and pre-collision warning turns on all the time. I can still drive but with limited capability. Feels like a car with a sprained ankle."

^ Modern day Ford. Overpriced trash that doesn't work, can't be fixed, and Ford has taken a "maybe we will, maybe we won't" approach to honoring their vehicle warranties.

Rivian did this too, one of the engineers fat fingered something and sent out an update with invalid certs, bricked a ton of Rivian trucks.

I thought updates were kind of acting off in my model S, like everyone else would get the cool Christmas show update, but I never got it. Turns out my car was considered legacy 8 months after I bought it lol (Legacy = basically any Tesla with the screen in Portrait orientation). I can't be too disappointed though, I got all the game updates and will eventually get the neat 3rd person parking view

Siliconemelons

Teslas not having 360 parking cam is… still a head scratcher, guess they don’t want to use others tech? And use something they make up themselves..

also no one likes to mention the ultra bone head move were they took radars off and Elon was like muh cameras are all you need! To quietly reverse that a half a year later, feel bad bro to the cars with no radar on it

Heian

Molten Core Raider
Didn't Tesla own most of the patents on how to build modern electric cars? I know they own thems but allow free of use. I know our pattern does not means anything in China but it probably help thems to get access the market of other countries.

Heian

Molten Core Raider
Teslas not having 360 parking cam is… still a head scratcher, guess they don’t want to use others tech? And use something they make up themselves..

also no one likes to mention the ultra bone head move were they took radars off and Elon was like muh cameras are all you need! To quietly reverse that a half a year later, feel bad bro to the cars with no radar on it

Agree. Sometime during crazy snowstorm here in Canada. I can't see more than 10-15 feets in front and barely see the road. The radar still see stuff and warn me about potential issues. I would do not put all my faith in it, could still fail like most electronic, but it's a very useful tool that helped me more than once.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
So with the advice here and my own research I decided to go with the Toyota Corolla. Gracias.
Updating this post. Went in today to pick up the Corolla and left with a 2024 Tundra as well. Last weekend of the year and they were trying to push as many vehicles out the door as they could to make quotas. Looks like I am buying gas again.

• 1Seriously?
  • 1Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 2 users

Kobayashi

Vyemm Raider
Updating this post. Went in today to pick up the Corolla and left with a 2024 Tundra as well. Last weekend of the year and they were trying to push as many vehicles out the door as they could to make quotas. Looks like I am buying gas again.
Seems like Toyotathon has claimed another victim...

• 5Worf
  • 1Double Worf
Reactions: 5 users