What vehicle do you drive?

Siliconemelons

If I drive fun, I get 3.5 mi / kWh if I drive normal it’s about 4.2ish if I stay in city I can get higher like 4.5 as any highway it’s less efficient

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
I really liked ceramic on my last sports car but you do have to maintain and reapply it after a while. Since I don't regularly hand wash my normal daily drivers I don't bother, just use wax from the carwash tbh. I used to use I think optimum rinse less on the ceramic and it was like glass.

Though honestly if you're trying to make it pretty rather than just protected you probably need to take it to a place that will do paint correction and properly strip any wax and shit before applying.

Ceramic coating is certainly the most difficult to do properly but even the "cheap" ones should last 1 - 2 years. The good ones (done professionally) can last up to 5 years, I think. I've used the ceramic coating from Feynlab, because it was supposed to be one of the easier coats to apply and it was "cheap" enough that if I didn't like it, I could go back to Zaino or another AIO.

While I think Zaino had a deeper wet paint look once you get 3+ coats deep, it also needed a new coat every ~3 months or so. So the ceramic coat lasting over a year is probably worth the trade off, for a bit less luster.

Different ceramic coats also produce different shines, or so says some dude obsessed with detailing his vehicles, on a video I watched years ago that I can't find anymore.

Couple videos of professionals applying a ceramic coat in my view history(I didn't use any power tools):

I don’t really care about looks to be honest. Truck is already going to sit outside on a mulched driveway in the woods as is so maintaining a fresh shine is just gonna be too hard. At some point there’s a cost analysis to be done regarding spending money on preventative paint protection versus just having a panel, bumper etc repainted in 5 years. That said I’m looking more so for protection than look but probably not to the price point where it’s more expensive to do preventative work than repaint.

Surprised no comments here on car bras like xpel. If anything I’m leaning towards that as preventing paint chips on places most likely to get them could be beneficial.

Ceramic looks amazing but I’m wondering if just being consistent with washing/washing it every 3-4 weeks would do just as well.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I don’t really care about looks to be honest. Truck is already going to sit outside on a mulched driveway in the woods as is so maintaining a fresh shine is just gonna be too hard. At some point there’s a cost analysis to be done regarding spending money on preventative paint protection versus just having a panel, bumper etc repainted in 5 years. That said I’m looking more so for protection than look but probably not to the price point where it’s more expensive to do preventative work than repaint.

Surprised no comments here on car bras like xpel. If anything I’m leaning towards that as preventing paint chips on places most likely to get them could be beneficial.

Ceramic looks amazing but I’m wondering if just being consistent with washing/washing it every 3-4 weeks would do just as well.
Ceramic replaces waxing not washing.

Bras are hit or miss. If you have lots of gravel or fresh asphalt to deal with it's good but it doesn't stop everything so I'm not sure I'd bother on a truck. Bumper and grill should be high enough anyway.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
I purchased a ceramic kit but was too afraid to DYI it. And now I have over 20K on the car and car a little less about it (and am even more concerned that using the kit would be bad),

I should have had it done right away by a professional...

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I've seen a lot more reviewers now mentioning EV efficiency with kwh/ mile or whatever.

I'm wondering if there's a nice place that might have a calculator to put your electric rate plus rough car efficiency to figure out if it might be worth grabbing a few year old ev at heavy depreciation as a appliance daily and save the wear on my truck/ sports.

I feel like my electric is decently high or that's just how un insulated my house is, but not sure which would win a 30mpg shitbox vs a model 3 / Y
It would take a decade of using the EV to make “saving” on gas and maintenance happen. Same argument when people think they should buy a motorcycle to save gas. Your out of pocket on the new vehicle prevents saving on anything. Plus, now you’re driving soulless appliance.

• 1Picard
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
It would take a decade of using the EV to make “saving” on gas and maintenance happen. Same argument when people think they should buy a motorcycle to save gas. Your out of pocket on the new vehicle prevents saving on anything. Plus, now you’re driving soulless appliance.
Straight gas to electricity cost your right. But I'm looking at it as extending the life of my old tundra and jag much longer because if i use them up when it's time to replace, low mile jags might be gone and I bet pre current gen tundras in 5-8 years are also going to be pricey for a low miles as I think the new one is going to continue to be a train wreck.

PS Get your buddy Cad to unrage quit over a retarded troll.

• 1Faggotry

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Straight gas to electricity cost your right. But I'm looking at it as extending the life of my old tundra and jag much longer because if i use them up when it's time to replace, low mile jags might be gone and I bet pre current gen tundras in 5-8 years are also going to be pricey for a low miles as I think the new one is going to continue to be a train wreck.

PS Get your buddy Cad to unrage quit over a retarded troll.
I put that dude on ignore a year ago. Couldn’t stand his EV preaching

• 1Solidarity

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If I'm not driving a ton I thought I might get away with just a 240v charger ?

I used the granny charger for the first few days, it was doable but it's really slow. I typically drive the car about 70 miles but it took like 14 hours getting that range back off a wall socket. If you don't drive too many miles and can leave it plugged in all evening+night, it might be enough. I don't regret having a proper 11kw box installed though because it's much more convenient and offers other features as well.

If you start googling stuff you'll have to thread carefully because 240v refers to a regular single phase wall socket in the UK/Europe and a split phase socket in the US, not remotely the same thing electrically so make sure whatever you're reading applies to your situation.

Siliconemelons

If I'm not driving a ton I thought I might get away with just a 240v charger ?

I have a 40amp 220/240 - it’s fine - it will charge full overnight - maybe not if I am like 10% and I keep my window small for cheaper power- 50 is obv more as is more and more but 40/50 is quite sufficient for home imo

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I have a 40amp 220/240 - it’s fine - it will charge full overnight - maybe not if I am like 10% and I keep my window small for cheaper power- 50 is obv more as is more and more but 40/50 is quite sufficient for home imo
Same here. We had an unused line from converting the dryer to gas when we moved in. Had an electrician run the line into the garage and install an outlet.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
Also you have to add in one time cost of adding the charging infrastructure in your house.

Cost me about 30$ in parts doing the 220v myself, but make sure you have a spot available on your breaker or yeah I agree it can be a big cost.

Eventually I'll live the dream and get solar + house battery, but goddamn the solar companies are pushier and scammier than even the worst car dealerships.

• 1Like

Siliconemelons

The wire now is expensive - depending on your amperage you can buy a RV whip for less per ft than at Lowe’s / HD - but that was peak Covid that I was shopping around.
just get a “220 4/50 amp outlet nema45 etc” installed - don’t tell the electrician it’s for an EV unless you are some place with credits or tax money- as “some” electricians will up charge you-

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Cost me about 30$ in parts doing the 220v myself, but make sure you have a spot available on your breaker or yeah I agree it can be a big cost.

Eventually I'll live the dream and get solar + house battery, but goddamn the solar companies are pushier and scammier than even the worst car dealerships.
You get a permit for that Rob?

• 1Harrow

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
f76000354846b8c0468de1112463a75d.png

• 1Like
  • 1Worf

Siliconemelons

Its also called - liability

I was VERY surprised the Rivian CEO during the R2 reveal said they want to make FSD, where you keep your hands and eyes off the road to reclaim the time driving for more productive things.

Just itching for a liability suit there once FSD drives off a cliff or runs over Toto - Tesla, Ford, GM, they all have a line of interactivity to the driver to keep the driver, liability there.

• 1Like