What vehicle do you drive?

Siliconemelons

It won’t be what it could be as long as there is a human element out there - if everything was computer - sure

my mustang with blue cruise is fine- it’s only avail on certain roads - but it yells at you if your eyes drift off front for too long.

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm

Abhorrent vinyl decal, wonder how much paint shading it would leave, garaged hopefully would limit that.

Kinda shooting for a 19 preferably a 20 or maybe updated nose 21 after they fixed the Y pipe issue in the early 19s onward.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Abhorrent vinyl decal, wonder how much paint shading it would leave, garaged hopefully would limit that.

Kinda shooting for a 19 preferably a 20 or maybe updated nose 21 after they fixed the Y pipe issue in the early 19s onward.
You are so in love with that model. You owe it to yourself to get one.

Sludig

You are so in love with that model. You owe it to yourself to get one.
I certainly am. Keep struggling with a more sensible 2nd car line a golf R or a Cx3 turbo possibly. Original plan was look for a 19/20 in 2025 or 26 to get the price where I'm happier with it since it will continue to plummet and the car is a liability overall.

But with production stopped as of now, I'm worried a year or two might actually see prices stall or even appreciate a little on like svr

Mizake

Trakanon Raider
What you need to think about is maintenance, down the line.

The F-type is a beautiful car, it's basically a poor man's Aston Martin, considering Ian Callum designed both.

But with Jaguar ceasing production, and potentially going out of business, you are going to find it harder and harder to service.

I own a Jaguar XK140, I personally think it's one of the most gorgeous cars ever designed. But it's a bitch to service. I live in Los Angeles, so it's not like I'm in the sticks. No Jaguar dealership will touch that car, none of their mechanics know how to work it. There are few private mechanics that know how to work the car, there just aren't enough Jaguars to make it worth while to learn how to service them. I did find a guy, but I pay hundreds to thousands of dollars just for the simplest things. The guy that helps me told me that at this point, most of the people who know how to service a XK140 are dead or moved back to England where there are more of them.

Now, I'm sure your F-type will be able to be serviced at any Jaguar dealership at the very least, but remember, with Jaguar's future in doubt, how much longer are those dealerships going to be around? And then what?

Not necessarily talking you out of buying it, but just wanted to help you make an more informed decision.

• 1Seriously?
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I certainly am. Keep struggling with a more sensible 2nd car line a golf R or a Cx3 turbo possibly. Original plan was look for a 19/20 in 2025 or 26 to get the price where I'm happier with it since it will continue to plummet and the car is a liability overall.

But with production stopped as of now, I'm worried a year or two might actually see prices stall or even appreciate a little on like svr

Get one now, enjoy it now. Or, maybe get one later and lose out on a year, or two of fun?

Sludig

Get one now, enjoy it now. Or, maybe get one later and lose out on a year, or two of fun?
Lots of variables, biggest was just trying to make a luxury purchase as economically excusable as possible. I'm off course naturally somewhat impatient such I have to fight the urge against. If I'm lucky in a year or two prices will actually still drop hard with economy and interest rates, but Mizake is right finding parts might get tough and specialized work. Not like it's my tundra im hoping to keep a decade. Hopefully 5 would be reasonable.

Part of waiting is maybe praying something gets announced that gets my interest. All the recent releases I think are kinda duds, but at my age and health I almost wouldn't mind some reasonably peppy small sum for easy in and out especially if I leave my gun belt on. Loved my hatchbacks mostly because while just as low as most sedans, golf R, veloster, etc had nice wide opening doors to get down in. Vs I loathe my wife's miata.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Lots of variables, biggest was just trying to make a luxury purchase as economically excusable as possible. I'm off course naturally somewhat impatient such I have to fight the urge against. If I'm lucky in a year or two prices will actually still drop hard with economy and interest rates, but Mizake is right finding parts might get tough and specialized work. Not like it's my tundra im hoping to keep a decade. Hopefully 5 would be reasonable.

Part of waiting is maybe praying something gets announced that gets my interest. All the recent releases I think are kinda duds, but at my age and health I almost wouldn't mind some reasonably peppy small sum for easy in and out especially if I leave my gun belt on. Loved my hatchbacks mostly because while just as low as most sedans, golf R, veloster, etc had nice wide opening doors to get down in. Vs I loathe my wife's miata.

Sounds like the Golf R is a nice second choice. Cheaper, more reliable, more usable, plenty quick.

Sludig

Sounds like the Golf R is a nice second choice. Cheaper, more reliable, more usable, plenty quick.
But not near as obnoxious fun. They have like 25-30k f types that are the 6 and 4cyc but that'd I think feel just sad being in that boat and not having the sound to go with it.

which is the other fine line I have to walk, want updates to increase reliability, but many were flashed and others after the refresh lost a lot of the popcorn. Burns up o2 and cats. But I think velocities tune can give it back

Palum

what Suineg set it to
But not near as obnoxious fun. They have like 25-30k f types that are the 6 and 4cyc but that'd I think feel just sad being in that boat and not having the sound to go with it.

which is the other fine line I have to walk, want updates to increase reliability, but many were flashed and others after the refresh lost a lot of the popcorn. Burns up o2 and cats. But I think velocities tune can give it back
Have you considered [bland crossover] with [expensive cosmetic performance package] and [22" black wheels] instead?

• 5Worf
  • 1Barf
Reactions: 5 users

Axiel

Molten Core Raider

People that put on shit decorations never take care of their cars. Also huge doubt to "garaged in winters" when they opted for the weight adding AWD option.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
People that put on shit decorations never take care of their cars. Also huge doubt to "garaged in winters" when they opted for the weight adding AWD option.

AWD was standard at a certain point.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Burns

What you need to think about is maintenance, down the line.

The F-type is a beautiful car, it's basically a poor man's Aston Martin, considering Ian Callum designed both.

But with Jaguar ceasing production, and potentially going out of business, you are going to find it harder and harder to service.

I own a Jaguar XK140, I personally think it's one of the most gorgeous cars ever designed. But it's a bitch to service. I live in Los Angeles, so it's not like I'm in the sticks. No Jaguar dealership will touch that car, none of their mechanics know how to work it. There are few private mechanics that know how to work the car, there just aren't enough Jaguars to make it worth while to learn how to service them. I did find a guy, but I pay hundreds to thousands of dollars just for the simplest things. The guy that helps me told me that at this point, most of the people who know how to service a XK140 are dead or moved back to England where there are more of them.

Now, I'm sure your F-type will be able to be serviced at any Jaguar dealership at the very least, but remember, with Jaguar's future in doubt, how much longer are those dealerships going to be around? And then what?

Not necessarily talking you out of buying it, but just wanted to help you make an more informed decision.
Outside of the usual parts sourcing problems for rare cars, what makes a XK140 so hard to work on? I thought the older the car, the simpler it is. A mechanic that "likes" to work on classic/antique cars should be able to figure out a carbureted inline 6?

As a bonus, it looks like you could fit your whole toolbox in that engine bay, and it's kinda small for a classic car:
2024-03-20 16.13.24 www.google.com 2de5fadf5977.png

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sludig

Awd isn't an option.

Lots of F's in the states are crazy low miles true weekenders vs an American. Now is its been thrashed when it was driven. But owner looks like a limp wrist that babies it.

Granted I won't buy sight unseen would fly out. Saw plenty of fucked ones at car max. mine was great that I got a great deal from some rich Indian horse doctor, except the wheels, absolutely curb raped all 8.....

Mizake

Trakanon Raider
Outside of the usual parts sourcing problems for rare cars, what makes a XK140 so hard to work on? I thought the older the car, the simpler it is. A mechanic that "likes" to work on classic/antique cars should be able to figure out a carbureted inline 6?

As a bonus, it looks like you could fit your whole toolbox in that engine bay, and it's kinda small for a classic car:
View attachment 520743

Yeah, the car is definitely simpler engine-wise than the computer-driven monstrosities of today.

My own issue is that my car is (almost) all original, matching serial numbers, etc., and it has provenance. So when a part needs to be replaced, I have to hope the part is available from stripped cars, which usually means it's shipped from England. Otherwise they need to 3D print or fabricate one. Using non-original parts would decrease the value of my vehicle.

Then, there is the issue of trusting someone who knows how to work with the engine. For example, I had a small oil leak. No problem right? Except, because of where the leak was, the entire engine needed to be taken apart to get to the leaking area, and then rebuilt. I'm not going to trust that to just some car enthusiast. I want to make sure it's someone whose worked with XKs before.

So, maybe if it was just a rebuild, with no collector value, then I wouldn't mind any Joe-Schmoe working on it. But for mine, I want/need complete documentation so that the next owner will know exactly where the car came from and what I did during my stewardship. I don't think anybody wants to see "Jiffy Lube -oil change" in their records.

Going back to the XJR.....not a big deal now, but once it's discontinued, parts are going to be harder and harder to come by. It can get expensive compared to owning some of the other cars he mentioned. But if you have a passion for it, then there is price for it as well.

Buying a sports car is not a financial decision, it's an emotional one. At the end of the day, life is short, and if you enjoy driving sports cars and you have the financial backstop to handle caring for one, then by all means get it.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 3 users

Burns

Yeah, the car is definitely simpler engine-wise than the computer-driven monstrosities of today.

My own issue is that my car is (almost) all original, matching serial numbers, etc., and it has provenance. So when a part needs to be replaced, I have to hope the part is available from stripped cars, which usually means it's shipped from England. Otherwise they need to 3D print or fabricate one. Using non-original parts would decrease the value of my vehicle.

Then, there is the issue of trusting someone who knows how to work with the engine. For example, I had a small oil leak. No problem right? Except, because of where the leak was, the entire engine needed to be taken apart to get to the leaking area, and then rebuilt. I'm not going to trust that to just some car enthusiast. I want to make sure it's someone whose worked with XKs before.

So, maybe if it was just a rebuild, with no collector value, then I wouldn't mind any Joe-Schmoe working on it. But for mine, I want/need complete documentation so that the next owner will know exactly where the car came from and what I did during my stewardship. I don't think anybody wants to see "Jiffy Lube -oil change" in their records.

Going back to the XJR.....not a big deal now, but once it's discontinued, parts are going to be harder and harder to come by. It can get expensive compared to owning some of the other cars he mentioned. But if you have a passion for it, then there is price for it as well.

Buying a sports car is not a financial decision, it's an emotional one. At the end of the day, life is short, and if you enjoy driving sports cars and you have the financial backstop to handle caring for one, then by all means get it.
Well yea, I wouldn't let a Jiffy Lube touch my modern car, let alone a classic or antique. I meant that there should be more highly rated mechanic shops that work on adjacent old imports or just 50+ year old collector cars, in general, that should know the drill with documentation, instead of trying to find someone that has experience with a rare model, to ship it off to.

Although I was thinking more about work such as replacing auxiliary parts instead of a major mechanical. For major mechanical on highly valued collector/investment grade cars, I would assume it would still be worth it to ship it across the country in order to maximize value?

On the other hand, it's hard to imagine a shop that works on other old Jags or Ferraris or Astons or Rolls or Duesys working on a Jag they have never come across before would depreciate the vehicle much, if at all.

Last edited:

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>

Bro you’re literally talking about a car that’s some 60+ years. I have no idea how it’s relevant to the dude buying a car that’s 3-4 years old. Do you expect the guy to keep this car 60 years?