What vehicle do you drive?

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
That Tesla is like most other 4 door cars in that they are "ugly" but usually make up for it in other areas. If going by exterior looks alone, I would rather have a 2020 Honda Civic Coupe.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That Tesla is like most other 4 door cars in that they are "ugly" but usually make up for it in other areas. If going by exterior looks alone, I would rather have a 2020 Honda Civic Coupe.

I can’t tell the difference between most cars on the road, unless I see a badge. They all look the same; boring, conservative, soulless, ugly boxes (mostly describing crossover crap). And they are ALL white or gray.

The Teslas at least have a little more character, if you like the look of melted plastic blobs.

• 1Barf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Mizake

Trakanon Raider
Most cars are completely mundane and indiscernible from each other. To me, all trucks look about the same. Most sedans look the same. Only a few cars, like 911s , Beetles, and G-Wagons are so iconic they are immediately identifiable. Even Ferrari's no longer stand out when the new Corvette has copied their look. Teslas are fairly easy to spot, I've never seen one and mistook it for another car.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
Most cars are completely mundane and indiscernible from each other. To me, all trucks look about the same. Most sedans look the same. Only a few cars, like 911s , Beetles, and G-Wagons are so iconic they are immediately identifiable. Even Ferrari's no longer stand out when the new Corvette has copied their look. Teslas are fairly easy to spot, I've never seen one and mistook it for another car.

I have one, and still can't tell between the 4 models without getting way too close.

• 1Moron

Burns

New owner went fishing within the first 48 hours of purchase (in Washington state):
2024-04-26 01.59.11 imgur.com 8e3c5214e979.png

2024-04-26 01.46.24 imgur.com 422d72cab86d.png

If you don't recognize it: Porsche GT3 RS (Cost: $200,000 - $450,000 with a long waiting list)

2024-04-26 01.54.50 imgur.com 9d637233048d.png

2024-04-26 01.55.06 imgur.com 8281341028c3.png

2024-04-26 01.55.17 imgur.com ab48684ae085.png

Last edited:
  • 4Worf
  • 1Rustled
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 6 users

kazjim

Blackwing Lair Raider
Got abox of parts for my '65 today, so have been fitting up new brake cables, brake light switches, and adding a speedometer.
Took it for a little shakedown run - first time into 4th gear at any speed.
Bit of a boneshaker - but that's what you would expect of a solid mounted, hard tailed 650 Parallel twin!
Getting inspection and plates in the next few weeks, then the real fun begins!

IMG_8642.jpeg

• 3Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 3 users

Fucker

Log Wizard
What is even worse are all the bland interior colors they have now. Black or black and grey. Maybe the occasional baby shit brown thrown in to round things out.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Can't get excited about electric cars.

I think it's all about using them where they best make sense....

My goal in the next few years is to have a nice chunk of acreage out away from town, big workshop for my tinkering, small farming for some food, and preferably be solar enabled for power so "city electricity" is an option/backup.

In that scenario I plan on having one or more rechargeable electric "over-glorified golf carts" for getting around on the land since it will limit trips to town for fuel. I could see having an electric car/truck for getting back and forth to town assuming I could get one where that round trip was under half a charge. But you're right absolutely none of this is exciting.

I've done customer events where we went to a place not too far from me called "Motorsports Ranch". They had two tracks and a stable of supercars and you could do laps in all manner of dream vehicles that get one very excited... (I checked Lambo, Ferrari, and Dodge Viper laps off my bucket list). This is for people who really enjoy to visceral thrill of driving. But something I even noticed there, of those three cars, the Viper was the only manual transmission. The guys there explained "All the supercars are effectively automatics with paddle override now, because nobody can out-shift and out-perform the electronic transmissions now." So technology is coming for all aspects of this, eventually the idea of understanding how and when to downshift, how to maximize power through a corner, etc, will be an esoteric quaint old fashioned hobby.

With that said, I think the whole "electric supercar" thing is more a need on the part of those manufacturers to prove they can "belong" in all aspects of the automotive world. Akin to when they released that abomination which was the Electric Mustang.

Siliconemelons

My Nissan Leaf... a glorified electric golf cart heh... but it had a 24 or so Kwh battery. Got about 50miles of range.

If you are considering /fully off grid/ and /EV/ - it wont really go very well together. You would want grid power if your wanting to charge an EV.

A current tesla powerwall is 13.5 Kwh battery per module. This really shows how poorly efficient even the most efficient EV is, if you compare it to your house lol. Most smallish homes can run for like a week off of 2 power walls using full power, and longer if you skimp on things, AC etc. and them slowly charging up during the day and keeping 1/2 power walls going is fine... but if you have to dump your entire battery reserve to do 1 charge of your car...

So if its a nice little cabin house, you need 2 powerwalls to hold "1 charge" of a small EV, and then another 1-2 power walls to then be your power supply.... You cannot rely on "direct" solar to charge your EV.

Scapping cars to convert their batteries into "powerwalls" is a thing lol.

• 1Like

Haus

<Silver Donator>

I've actually been looking at this exact scenario. Plus I have been reading up on some DIY capable powerwalls one can build. I do know that it would take a lot of batteries to have an EV live off solar. I've also been looking at EVs where they can participate as one of the batteries in the said home power solution. In my "out in the country" scenario I'd have a car/truck and maybe do one round trip to town a week outside of emergencies. Then literal golf carts for puttering around my land. The wild card in that is that I'd still need a small tractor for a lot of what I would be doing and that would still require traditional fuels.

Oh and unrelated for those who care. My current daily driver is still my 2017 Caddy CTS V-sport with the 3.6l twin turbo... Graphic possibly related :
1714141790964.png

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Quality Calories

jeydax

Death and Taxes
I've actually been looking at this exact scenario. Plus I have been reading up on some DIY capable powerwalls one can build. I do know that it would take a lot of batteries to have an EV live off solar. I've also been looking at EVs where they can participate as one of the batteries in the said home power solution. In my "out in the country" scenario I'd have a car/truck and maybe do one round trip to town a week outside of emergencies. Then literal golf carts for puttering around my land. The wild card in that is that I'd still need a small tractor for a lot of what I would be doing and that would still require traditional fuels.

Oh and unrelated for those who care. My current daily driver is still my 2017 Caddy CTS V-sport with the 3.6l twin turbo... Graphic possibly related :
View attachment 526388

Not a car guy but can I see under the hood of that twin turbo in the white there? I'm intrigued.

• 1Worf
  • 1Rimshot

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My Nissan Leaf... a glorified electric golf cart heh... but it had a 24 or so Kwh battery. Got about 50miles of range.

If you are considering /fully off grid/ and /EV/ - it wont really go very well together. You would want grid power if your wanting to charge an EV.

A current tesla powerwall is 13.5 Kwh battery per module. This really shows how poorly efficient even the most efficient EV is, if you compare it to your house lol. Most smallish homes can run for like a week off of 2 power walls using full power, and longer if you skimp on things, AC etc. and them slowly charging up during the day and keeping 1/2 power walls going is fine... but if you have to dump your entire battery reserve to do 1 charge of your car...

So if its a nice little cabin house, you need 2 powerwalls to hold "1 charge" of a small EV, and then another 1-2 power walls to then be your power supply.... You cannot rely on "direct" solar to charge your EV.

I haven't checked into any of these numbers, but it made me curious. So you're saying that basically one week of household electricity = 300 miles in your ev? Call that 12 gallons of gas I guess? Any idea how long 12 gallons of gas would run your house from a generator? Just wondering how the numbers looked in the other direction.

Sludig

I haven't checked into any of these numbers, but it made me curious. So you're saying that basically one week of household electricity = 300 miles in your ev? Call that 12 gallons of gas I guess? Any idea how long 12 gallons of gas would run your house from a generator? Just wondering how the numbers looked in the other direction.
Too many variables but maybe a few hours.

My I think 250 gallon Propane tank would last about 3 days in my generator for the house 24/7

• 1Mother of God

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Interesting intersection on one of the youtube channels I follow between cars and DIY Powerwalls.. .

• 1Like

Siliconemelons

The Audi etron has a huge battery and barely gets over 200miles but their depreciation is high so may make a good target lol

Burns

Interesting intersection on one of the youtube channels I follow between cars and DIY Powerwalls.. .
I'm super paranoid around electricity, but that looks like none of the batteries hook up in parallel until they are plugged in to whatever item interfaces between the batteries, the house (inverter?), and the car. Although it also looks like he used a male outlet on the battery side (at the end of the circuit board), which seems like a safety oversite as all of those tines sticking up are hot? Someone looking away or getting distracted while trying to plug it in and instead jumps the tines with their finger is going to have some discomfort.

Anytime I see DYI electrical stuff, I think of various mad men flirting with death. Like this guy:

Last edited:

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Air/Water event in Costa Mesa. We had 8 cars ship from Texas in our group. Drove around, ate a lot, laughed at the liberal bullshit. Awesome show though. Have more pictures than is reasonable to share.

IMG_4826.jpeg

IMG_4898.jpeg

IMG_4888.jpeg

IMG_4863.jpeg

IMG_4856.jpeg

IMG_4853.jpeg

IMG_4845.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4891.jpeg
    IMG_4891.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 5
  • 6Like