What was the crappiest computer that could run EQ 1999-2000?

Goatface

tried google, but no luck.
every site i found they have upgraded the minimum requirements at some point.
couldn't even find a scan of the back of the box.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
I barely ran it with 48MB of RAM. It was unbelievably choppy and it would lag for 10 seconds, and I would find myself dead the next moment. Add to this, I was learning Halas and Everfrost.

Crappiest computer would be minimum 124MB of RAM with about as shit-tastic video card as possible.

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
I'm pretty sure I had a Pentium 133 with I want to say 128mb of ram. I also bought a Voodoo3d just for EQ. High res 640x480 OMG! I'm in Heaven!

Kharza-kzad_sl

shitlord
I'm pretty sure I had a Pentium 133 with I want to say 128mb of ram. I also bought a Voodoo3d just for EQ. High res 640x480 OMG! I'm in Heaven!
I think that is just about exactly what I had. I created a character in Neriak, and every time I came to a junction I'd turn, my machine would freeze for a few seconds and I'd end up spun in a random direction.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
I had a Voodoo as well. I swear, I think Everquest was more RAM based. At least having 128MB would allow you to actually play the game. Anything less it would freeze for about 10-20 seconds. =(

Miele

Lord Nagafen Raider
I had an Amd k6 at 200mhz if I remember correctly. I think I had a Voodoo 2 already and I'm quite sure I had more than 128mb of ram. Truth be told, I started a tad later than most veterans, around late 1999. My rig was quite good back then.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I used to think fog was the standard weather when I first played due to having to use such a low clipping plane. Was amazed at how good it actually could look when I could see over the next hill.

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
I think I started playing it on a 156 Mghtz with 64 MBytes SDR

Oh and AOL

iannis

Musty Nester
A computer so slow and crappy that if you were to try to buy one today it would cost tens of thousands. You couldn't buy a computer that obsolete, you would have to fabricate it.

iannis

Musty Nester
I remember a 66 would almost run uo but not really. 133 might have been absolute min spec for release eq, but I still think it may have been the next step up.

I don't even remember what that was. Brands started getting weird, I remember that. Like Pentium was releasing in bizzare odd increments for a year and amd would release a fast chip with no cache and just madness.

Vinen

God is dead
I ran it on a Celeron 366 w/ a Voodoo 3 3000.

Ran pretty shitty. Celeron was F++ processor unless overclocked.

I want to say 64 mb of memory.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
I actually kept all of the EQ boxes from the original game up until Omens of War. This is right off the back of the original EQ box:
Everquest system recommendations and requirements:
Required:
Windows 95/98
Pentium 166+
32 MB of RAM
Direct3D or Glide compliant accelerator card w/ 4MB RAM
500 MB hard drive space
28.8k+ internet connection
Windows compatible sound card
mouse, keyboard

Recommended:
Pentium 200+
64MB RAM

Yeah, I remember those Celeron processors were kind of a joke.
frown.png

I ran it on a PII 300mhz with a Diamond Monster Voodoo 3. Ran good mostly but had to turn off particle effects for raids. Also, Burning Woods always lagged due to all those translucent leaves.

Itzena_sl

shitlord
PII 100mhz (might have been 133), 64MB ram and a VooDoo2. "Upgraded" to 96MB* and SLI'd dual VooDoo2s for Kunark andfinallygot a decent computer for Velious.

*It was one of those old PC brands that ended up getting eaten by HP or Dell or whoever, and had some sort of weird semi-propriatary RAM that ran at a higher voltage than 99% of normal PCs, so a 32Mb stick wasall I couldfindfor a solid six months or so.

Oh, and dial-up.

Cybsled

I can't recall which PC I used...I think it was some Pentium 2. I do recall that I only had like 16 mb of RAM or something pathetic. When Velious came out, it literally took me over 8 minutes just to cross a zone line. I upgraded my RAM shortly after Velious launch and got that down to 20 seconds I think ;p

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Earthlink was incredibly stable for dialup. It was my go-to dialup when AOL went out of flavor.
tongue.png
I'm shocked that it says 32MB of RAM.