What was your dream growing up before life kicked you in the nuts/vag?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
How does a constitutionally mandated government service go bankrupt exactly?
Even weirder when you consider the government doesn't even fund the USPS, they're self-funded.

From their website:

The Postal Service receives NO tax dollars for operating expenses and relies on the sale of postage, products and services to fund its operations.
So how can a mandated government entity not be funded by it?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
You're call center. 18 hour days? Yea ok.
Someone on my team just did a 24 hour shift from 9pm Saturday to 9pm Sunday this weekend.

There's just too much work to do. No one who works 1st shift knows how to cover second or third shift, because we're responsible for every possible role since the rest of the company goes home. So all coverage falls on us.

Call volume isn't super high usually, but our sales people sold 24x7 real-time monitoring for every device we've ever sold for 6500 customers, many of which have massive, 50k+ station phone systems with dozens of servers and hundreds of gateways with hundreds of PRI circuits going into them.

Every time an error or warning or even a single errored second hits one of our three SNMP monitoring platforms, it needs a ticket created in our lumbering, antiquated ticketing system and a full, thoroughly written investigation sent to the customer within 15 or 30 minutes depending on the customer, and those screens light up continually all night. We're also responsible for all patch implementations, because our customers certainly don't want their phone systems down during main business hours.

There are usually 5 of us.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
That sounds terrible. I maybe work 35 hours a week. I just got promoted.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Someone on my team just did a 24 hour shift from 9pm Saturday to 9pm Sunday this weekend.

There's just too much work to do. No one who works 1st shift knows how to cover second or third shift, because we're responsible for every possible role since the rest of the company goes home. So all coverage falls on us.

Call volume isn't super high usually, but our sales people sold 24x7 real-time monitoring for every device we've ever sold for 6500 customers, many of which have massive, 50k+ station phone systems with dozens of servers and hundreds of gateways with hundreds of PRI circuits going into them.

Every time an error or warning or even a single errored second hits one of our three SNMP monitoring platforms, it needs a ticket created in our lumbering, antiquated ticketing system and a full, thoroughly written investigation sent to the customer within 15 or 30 minutes depending on the customer, and those screens light up continually all night. We're also responsible for all patch implementations, because our customers certainly don't want their phone systems down during main business hours.

There are usually 5 of us.
God Damn. 24 hours on the phone? Sounds like torture.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
God Damn. 24 hours on the phone? Sounds like torture.
We don't just take calls, we make a lot of calls to our customers' voice/internet providers as well, any time they have lines go down or take errors it's our responsibility to make tickets with their providers to get that worked on.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I remember I was a telemarketer when I was like 16 for some police and fire dept stickers and shit. Office, desk, phone and a call list. Fuck that was brutal. I think I smoked like 2 packs in a 8 hour shift, just to get the fuck away from that shitfest. Lasted there like 2 weeks tops. It was brutal. Fuck people and fuck trying to sell them some shit.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I remember I was a telemarketer when I was like 16 for some police and fire dept stickers and shit. Office, desk, phone and a call list. Fuck that was brutal. I think I smoked like 2 packs in a 8 hour shift, just to get the fuck away from that shitfest. Lasted there like 2 weeks tops. It was brutal. Fuck people and fuck trying to sell them some shit.
That sounds like our Inside Sales team. They have to make 75 cold-calls a day. Luckily they are an entire state away from me and I've never had to meet any of them. People burn out there even faster than in our NOC.

businesscats_sl

shitlord
I wanted to be a farmer like my grandpa until I realized our farm wasn't profitable, at all. Now I work for the railroad doing 20-30 hour days 6 days at a time and daydream about working our farm.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
You guys are fucking idiots. Obviously he rides the train backwards through time zones and it ends up equaling 30 hours in a day

businesscats_sl

shitlord
30 hour days?
8 days a week
You guys are fucking idiots. Obviously he rides the train backwards through time zones and it ends up equaling 30 hours in a day
Guess I should have worded it better. I work 6 days for 1 shift, getting anywhere from 2-8 hours of sleep over those 6 days. Each shift is scheduled 64 hours paid but is always more. Longest I've worked straight without any sleep was 92 hours.

Fuck me, I should have pursued becoming a cowboy or something instead.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
That much straight work sounds highly illegal, let alone fucking annoying. Hope the pay is worth it. Consider that career change if you ever meet a soap salesman.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
It also sounds incredibly unsafe. You may as well have a bunch of drunk retards working for you, if you're going to have people work for 20-30 hours straight. The level of impairment is pretty much the same.