What We Do in the Shadows

joz123

Potato del Grande
Ya for an episode called "The Roast" only about 3 minutes was the roast and the rest was crap.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Nandor talking about farting in his coffin was pretty funny and Colin had some moments. Other than that it was another stinker.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
They completely ruined the running gag from the season about how nobody gives a fuck about the guide, which was actually starting to become pretty fucking funny imo. So fucking pointless.

The season started off pretty great, but the last half or so has been pretty fucking awful. Very few laughs to be had.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
So with that finale, hopefully subsequent seasons have a lot less Guillermo.

Whole season was pretty disappointing.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
They completely ruined the running gag from the season about how nobody gives a fuck about the guide, which was actually starting to become pretty fucking funny imo. So fucking pointless.

The season started off pretty great, but the last half or so has been pretty fucking awful. Very few laughs to be had.

Yeah first half was super fun to watch, and had a lot of great moments. Last few episodes I was on my phone a lot.

• 1Like

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The final 2 episodes were pretty awful. Otherwise I enjoyed the first 8 immensely.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Honestly, as much as I've loved this show, I'd be down with them giving it one more season to see if they could recapture some of the magic. If not, just cancel it.

• 1Like

Haus

<Silver Donator>
So with that finale, hopefully subsequent seasons have a lot less Guillermo.

Whole season was pretty disappointing.
There will be the same amount. They literally spend the whole last episode (last 2 really) just doing the "Gotta get back to status quo where nothing has really changed" bit. Literally pulling out some seriously stretched writing to make sure it's smooth.

What I mean by that is going so far as to bend their own vampire logic on what happens when one's sire is killed, and pulling the last second trip to the necromancer so that Derek doesn't really "die". Meaning Gizmo "learns his lesson" without REALLY needing to sacrifice anything (i.e. lose a friend over it.). Although the highlight of the last two episodes was "So.. we're a clip show now?" )

All that said, I generally concur that the season was decent, but the last 2 episodes didn't carry through. (second to last episode it was clear almost immediately what was going on, last episode just ran around the whole time to "tie up loose ends and reset the game to factory defaults for next season".

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Taking a shower just now and mentally pondering the end of season 5 and it hit me.....

The whole series to this point has been Gizmo's story of trans regret and detransitioning.... He dreamed so much about being a [something he wasn't born as] that he starts hanging out with a lot of [something he wasn't born as], discovered what he [was truly born as].... fights against it to keep being with the group of [something he wasn't born as]. Eventually gets impatient and goes to abnormal means to try to become [something he wasn't born as] and it goes wrong and awkward and painful and makes him something of a half way abomination, risks costing him his friendship with the [something he wasn't born as], and in the end makes the decision to go back to what he [was truly born as]...... And everybody seems happier with that.

• 1Mother of God

Homsar

Finally watched the newest season and I had no issues, Gizmo has always sucked but needs to be there I think.

Also does Nadja keep getting bigger? She sometimes looked pretty cute in the past.

Screenshot_2023-11-28-01-08-14-51_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

• 1I Came
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 1 users

Homsar

Just tried to rewatch S4 and couldn't, it's terrible. Season 5 was fine, not as good as the first seasons but still fine.

Homsar

They completely ruined the running gag from the season about how nobody gives a fuck about the guide, which was actually starting to become pretty fucking funny imo. So fucking pointless
You did watch the final after scene right? I can't find the clip but all the nice stuff they said was because they were trying to hook her up with Colin so he would move out.

Last edited:

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
You did watch the final after scene right? I can't find the clip but all the nice stuff they said was because they were trying to hook her up with Colin so he would move out.
LMAO I missed that. Ok, that makes it funny again.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Just tried to rewatch S4 and couldn't, it's terrible. Season 5 was fine, not as good as the first seasons but still fine.
When I have tried to rewatch TV shows, comedies seem to suffer the most when you already know what's coming. Even for shows I love, like Entourage, Curb, or Silicon Valley, I'm never able to get in the mood to rewatch. Which is in stark contrast to dramas, where I have watched shows like The Wire, Sopranos, and Deadwood at least 5 times each.