What We Left Behind: Looking Back at Star Trek: Deep Space Nine (2018)

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
0.00 star(s) Rating: 0.00/5 0 Votes
Title: What We Left Behind: Looking Back at Star Trek: Deep Space Nine (2018)

Genre: Documentary

Director: David Zappone, Ira Steven Behr

Cast: Avery Brooks, Terry Farrell, Michael Dorn, Rene Auberjonois, Nana Visitor, Alexander Siddig, Colm Meaney, Armin Shimerman, Jeffrey Combs, Bill Mumy, Wallace Shawn, Andrew Robinson, Marc Alaimo, Chase Masterson, Aron Eisenberg, Cirroc Lofton, James Darren, Penny Johnson, Max Grodénchik, Ronald D. Moore, Rick Berman, Ira Steven Behr, René Echevarria, Michael Piller, David Livingston, Casey Biggs, Hana Hatae, Nicole de Boer, Michael Okuda, Denise Okuda, Lolita Fatjo, Herman F. Zimmerman, Jonathan West, J.G. Hertzler

Release: 2018-10-12

Runtime: 116

Plot: A documentary exploring the legacy of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, the reasons it went from the black sheep of Star Trek to a beloved mainstay of the franchise, and a brainstorm with the original writers on what a theoretical eighth season of the show could look like.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Saw the AMC screening of this not too long ago. Suggest checking it out. Keep hoping it'll show up on Netflix. Has some raw emotional moments, and you can see their design process when they map out the first episode of a hypothetical season 8. You can see where talent is blatantly missing from the current Trek creators.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Siliconemelons

Watched the preview... how much of the document is them and Brooks masturbating to "omg black man on trek! And captain!!! Ohhh oh my god"

As a trek family growing up and the advent of ds9, ZERO fucks given about black space Jesus captain being black- it was prime time for trek and we just wanted more.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Watched the preview... how much of the document is them and Brooks masturbating to "omg black man on trek! And captain!!! Ohhh oh my god"

As a trek family growing up and the advent of ds9, ZERO fucks given about black space Jesus captain being black- it was prime time for trek and we just wanted more.
A few lines were mentioned about "how they could have done better on inclusion" but felt they did better than most for their time. It's about 10 minutes out of the 2 hours. The majority of it is mostly old cast members talking about their experiences, as well as the original creators getting together to postulate what they would do if they were to create a season 8 in today's TV world.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Odo.jpg

Well, ds9 did include a changeling. Vanessa Vanessa , how do you feel about Odo?

• 1Worf

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser

Avery Brooks doesn't participate in the documentary beyond whatever clips they use.

He was never interested in being The Black Captain and didn't play The Black Captain. That probably contributed heavily to Ben Sisko being awesome.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Siliconemelons

Okay... I mean...in that preview clip half of it is "I'm black yeall, blackityy black - black yeall" from Brooks and the blue hair dude.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider

That's before woke became a thing. Who knows what the reception would be today.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Okay... I mean...in that preview clip half of it is "I'm black yeall, blackityy black - black yeall" from Brooks and the blue hair dude.

Oh, the documentary stops everything to complain about Trump and also a small bit of "WE DIDN'T GO FAR ENOUGH WITH THE PROGRESSIVENESS" self flagellation.

But that's a tiny part and almost entirely Ira Behr's bullshit. It's a good time to get up and use the can when he starts having a moan over the show not being gay enough.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I just skipped those sections.

Thing is, this whole thing was pretty meh. There are a couple nice bits, but overall it was just a bunch of waxing nostalgia, without much insight for the viewer.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
So I just watched this finally and holy crap, that ending scene with Rene Auberjonois is pretty gut-wrenching now.

Also, I really want that season of DS9 now....but a question. The action battle scenes in space....were those remastered for the documentary? Because man they looked great and They don't look that good when rewatching the series now.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
All footage was rendered in hd. I paid something like 600 toward the Kickstarter. So yes that is why.

• 1Like

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Am I misremembering or did Avery Brooks always say "I'm not black, I'm brown"?

faille

Molten Core Raider
Finally got around to watching this and enjoyed the trip down memory lane

• 1Like
Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database