Wheel of Time series

Arative

Vyemm Raider
Might as well finish it. Sanderson did a good job. I guarantee that if jordan was alive it would have been at least 6 more books instead of three.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I made it to book 9 (Winter's Heart) before I quit. I picked up Crossroads of Twilight a few years ago after a long break and found it enjoyable, but I'm so sick of reading hundreds of pages without the plot advancing. Is it worth it to finish the last few books? Should I just walk away from this series forever?
I gave up on Winters Heart too. What a terrible fucking book that was.

Kaio

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Yep continue, you'll be fine again by the time you get to book 12.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I enjoyed the novels but having finished them all I really don't feel like I would be missing anything if I did not finish the series.

Dioblaire

And now my Watch has ended...
<Donor>
Just finish it. You can gloss over the braid tugging. That is what I did.

Sterling

El Presidente
A lot of the books towards the end of Jordan's run definitely dragged a goodly amount, that said if you're not waiting years before the next book it isn't so bad. I know a lot of people like that Sanderson did everything in such a short amount of space, but I can't help but feel a lot of stuff was left out or over condensed. Can't be helped if you wanted to finish it as fast as he did I suppose but it still feels that way. Also Mat was pretty awful the first bit of Sanderson's run but he did get better. That's the one character that was miles better when Jordan was writing him. All of that said, there are faults to the series as many have pointed out, but there is a lot of really cool stuff going on as well so I would say you should just finish it. If you're already past Winter's Heart then you really only have Crossroads that's pretty bad and Knife of Dreams is the best of the bunch for his later stuff. The Sanderson stuff is also decent as well.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
It definitely gets worse after Fires of Heaven before it gets better. If you are fed up now, you will really struggle to get through the next few books.

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
Just finished Fires of Heaven, I am done with the series likely for good this time.
I'd recommend that you at least slug it out for one more book, the ending of book 6 (Lord of Chaos) is one of the most epic moments in the series. Skim through a lot of the bullshit chapter if you have to, but imo Rand's storyline across book 6 and the way it culminates at the end is worth the effort. Wouldn't blame you for blowing it off after that, but imo book 6 is worth it.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Fires of Heaven is definitely the start of the slow decline into dogshit that doesn't end until the final 3 books.

It's funny, this series and Malazan etc keep making me wish I had a tablet just for looking up characters while I read. Someone needs to make a reader with e-ink on one side and a tablet on the other.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
I might check it out if ending is good. The weird thing is before I started reading wheel of time everyone said how awesome it is, now it is just the opposite. Granted I avoided reading too much due to spoilers but still.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Skip any chapter with the POV of a woman from book 5 until book 10. Use the online cliff notes version for that chapter ("Egwene runs her mouth for 30 pages. Nothing happens.") Good to go.

Ashin

Silver Knight of the Realm
Personally I only got a bit through The Path of Daggers before getting bored. Started reading again from The Gathering Storm after reading online what happened in the intervening books, and tbh it worked pretty well. Mind, did read all of Rand's chapters in those intervening books as well since I always found his PoV the most interesting.

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
Fires of Heaven is definitely the start of the slow decline into dogshit that doesn't end until the final 3 books.

It's funny, this series and Malazan etc keep making me wish I had a tablet just for looking up characters while I read. Someone needs to make a reader with e-ink on one side and a tablet on the other.
I did my re-read on a tablet last year, would have been impossible to keep up with the bajillion subplots and characters without being able to tab over from the reader to the wiki and back.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The series spent too much time developing Ishamael/Moridin, and not enough time developing Demandred, imo.

Chinaman889

<Silver Donator>
The series spent too much time developing Ishamael/Moridin, and not enough time developing Demandred, imo.
I agree. He seems to have been the only Forsaken close to being redeemed had he not hated the Dragon so much. I still haven't read that stand alone chapter from his POV where he finds Sarkonnen. Anyone who's read it care to comment about it?

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
Finally finished AMOL, thought it was pretty awesome with a few quibbles. 1200 pages of the Last Battle - can't ask for more then that but I wanted a little more Rand vs. the Dark One and a little less Field of Merrilor.

Demandred entering the Battle as Bao the Wyld leading the Sharans was fucking badass and unexpected. He was a worthy opponent for Mat.

As always, Lan delivers. Probably my favorite fantasy character ever.

I disagree that Gawyn and Galad served no purpose in the Last Battle. Gawyn's death was the catalyst that Egwene needed to go full Amyrlin on the battlefield and destroy Taim. I also think that both of them keeping Demandred's focus diverted onto them was just enough to allow Mat to set up the battlefield for victory. It was such an even match that without that razor thin advantage, Mat might not have been able to pull it off.

Olver blowing the horn and being rescued by Noal was amazing.

I don't understand why they kept Moghedien around for so long for her to go out with a whimper like that. Same with Fain. Why keep him around for that long to only give him 10 pages at the end? A little less Perrinshiftingand a little more Fain would have been welcomed from me.

The last 200 pages or so really felt rushed. Would have liked a scene with Tuon and Hawking. And no farewell scene between Rand/Moridin and his three wives? Weak.

Overall though, it was a success and the Last Battle lived up to twenty years worth of expectations that had built up in my mind. I would have liked more aftermath stuff, but understand why it didn't make the cut.

Tai'Shar Malkier!