Wheel of Time

Chinaman889

<Silver Donator>
That's fair, but there's a wide range of casting choices between looking "slow" and looking like you lick windows sprinkled with paint chips. The problem is that his "thinking things through" isn't really getting through to the audience in the show, he's done almost nothing except kill his own wife accidently so far, he's just plodding along following some secondary characters.

Hell, I just checked the actor and it's funny because on GIS there's a mix of pictures of him in the Perrin role and pictures taken outside of the show, and he has his mouth open or half-open in all the pictures as Perrin, but looks normal in other pictures.

I guess the director told him to act brain-damaged in which case this actor deserves a Grammy.

Unrelated but I find it funny how the showrunners decided to absolutely sprinkle diversity everywhere, even in places where it makes little sense (which is dumb because the books have a pretty large diversity but it's just in different regions and lands, not every wee village is a melting pot of cultures and races), so you end up having black / brown / yellow / white people living together in pseudo-medieval times without anyone batting an eye, but the moment the NPCs see a ginger dude it's a huge plot point or cause for panic.
I can't get over Lews Therin being cast as a black/persian/east indian as I'm sure he was stated as being a white guy in the books.

Sorce

Molten Core Raider
In reference to the Seanchan, there were immediate, glaring, changes as well as underlying tones. If I remember it correctly from the books, the ones bound (forget the term) were never portrayed as liking what they were doing.

The not so subtle skin tones they used for the two linked (?) also stood way out. Maybe the books implied that but it's not what I pictured when reading it.

Valorath

Trakanon Raider
Daeme or something like that. They were also collared and leashed, instead of having a big gold pacifier in their mouths.

It’s been a while since I read the books. The show is so drastically different from what I recall of the books that I’m just watching it to see the world brought to life.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Sorce

Molten Core Raider
I don't know if they will add it later, but there is so much missing from their initial run-in with the sea folk. Not to mention the big brawl in the sky. I have to believe they will at least put that in there somewhere.

Faux

Lord Nagafen Raider
As a book reader, its hard to watch. So many baffling changes and the casting is generally pretty bad. Rand and Moiraine are generally fine to me, but the rest just do not fit the book very well at all.

• 1Like

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
Isn’t the original forsaken hanging with the seachan thought to be the dark one, but was some other nerdlips forsaken instead?

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
Isn’t the original forsaken hanging with the seachan thought to be the dark one, but was some other nerdlips forsaken instead?

In the first book, the three boys have recurring nightmares where they believe they see the Dark One, who calls himself Ba'alzamon (Heart of the Dark in the old tongue), the name the Trollocs use for the Dark One (the Dark One's true name is Shaitan but saying it out loud sometimes has unpleasant consequences).

It is only after Rand fights Ba'alzamon at the Eye of the World and seemingly defeats him that they realize he was never the Dark One, but Ishamael (Betrayer of Hope in the old tongue), one of the the Dark One's most devoted lieutenants who was imprisoned with the other Forsaken but closer to the surface and thus was able to break out before any others. He pretented to be the Dark One to gather darkfriends and monsters alike, but seemingly ended up believing his own lies and deluded himself into believing he was the real deal.

In the Age of Legends 3000 years ago, he was called Elan Morin Tedronai and was Lews Therin Telamon's (the Dragon) most bitter rival. He was the one to cure the Dragon's madness briefly so that the Dragon could realize he had killed his own wife and children in his madness caused by the Dark One's counterattack, thus causing the Dragon to unleash his powers and shatter the world.

Later in the books, Ishamael is brought back to life by the Dark One to serve again as Nae'blis, the de factor leader of the Forsaken, under the name Moridin (Death in the old tongue).

Many Forsaken are destroyed and brought back by the Dark One throughout the books, there are only rare circumstances where they cannot be brought back at all.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Wasn't really looking for square jaws until I snapped that picture of the blond, in episode 3. Is the casting director selecting for jawline?

2023-09-08 11.10.17 www.amazon.com 43a8cb01a194.png

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
It's amazing to me that studios are ok with morons taking the popular book/comic/game that is great because of the story and then making it almost unrecognizeable. They all lack the small amount of critical thinking necessary for them to understand that the thing is great because of all the combined elements, not in spite of them. But, of course, these retards just cannot help but fuck things up.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Wasn't really looking for square jaws until I snapped that picture of the blond, in episode 3. Is the casting director selecting for jawline?

View attachment 489848
I said she was the lunch lady bro, what more do you want? :trump:

It's amazing to me that studios are ok with morons taking the popular book/comic/game that is great because of the story and then making it almost unrecognizeable. They all lack the small amount of critical thinking necessary for them to understand that the thing is great because of all the combined elements, not in spite of them. But, of course, these retards just cannot help but fuck things up.
Spoiled kids in the Hollywood business. Of course they would be vane and fuck things up.

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
ah thanks, I thought the battle in the sky fight was with a false dark one, but it’s been many years and many beers since that was read

Raes

Vyemm Raider
ah thanks, I thought the battle in the sky fight was with a false dark one, but it’s been many years and many beers since that was read

It was. That was Ba'alzamon/Ishamael. But, it didn't happen in the first book. At the EotW they fight two completely different Forsaken. Also, the only thing from the last episode of Season 1 that actually happened in the books was that the Trollocs attacked at Tarwin's Gap. We're not even talking switching things around a bit. It's all different. And terrible. Which is part of the problem. The changes without fail make things worse. It's just not interesting at all. Rafe isn't just a dick and a faggot, he also has zero talent.

Arative

Vyemm Raider
One thing that made game of thrones so good was they stuck pretty close to the source material until they ran out of source material and the show turned to shit.

Jordan's books are great and would make a great show if they stuck to the source material. They didn't and we got a big pile of shit

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
One thing that made game of thrones so good was they stuck pretty close to the source material until they ran out of source material and the show turned to shit.

Jordan's books are great and would make a great show if they stuck to the source material. They didn't and we got a big pile of shit

I didn't type that, but I was going to. GoT was GREAT when it followed that story to the letter. The minute they deviated it went to dogshit.

Chinaman889

<Silver Donator>
So what are they gonna do with Moiraine's arc from the books to the TV series? Are they going to keep her present there all the way to the end (I'm assuming it's because of the famous actress who is seemingly the lead character?) If so, that's total fuckin bullshit as her absence later on the in the book series serves as a major character and story development point for the ENTIRE WoT.

• 1Like

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
It was. That was Ba'alzamon/Ishamael. But, it didn't happen in the first book. At the EotW they fight two completely different Forsaken. Also, the only thing from the last episode of Season 1 that actually happened in the books was that the Trollocs attacked at Tarwin's Gap. We're not even talking switching things around a bit. It's all different. And terrible. Which is part of the problem. The changes without fail make things worse. It's just not interesting at all. Rafe isn't just a dick and a faggot, he also has zero talent.
No, he fought baalzamon in both. In eye of the world Aginor and Balthamel appear, the green man kills Balthamel and Rand kills Aginor by channeling from the Eye. He’s then transported (book never explains how) to the battle going on in Tarwins Gap. There he channels more, not really knowing what he is doing and destroys a good chunk of the shadow spawn army. He then sees steps into the air (again, no explanation how or why) and climbs them until he reaches a door that takes him to the room where he had been seeing the dark one in his dreams. He chats with baalzamon, he frees his mother’s ghost (?) and then channels and “kills” Baalzemon. He runs out of juice at the end, falls to the ground, and wakes up back at they eye.

Honestly the end of Book 1 doesn’t make a whole lot of sense given what we learn of how things work in the later books.

• 1Like

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
No, he fought baalzamon in both. In eye of the world Aginor and Balthamel appear, the green man kills Balthamel and Rand kills Aginor by channeling from the Eye. He’s then transported (book never explains how) to the battle going on in Tarwins Gap. There he channels more, not really knowing what he is doing and destroys a good chunk of the shadow spawn army. He then sees steps into the air (again, no explanation how or why) and climbs them until he reaches a door that takes him to the room where he had been seeing the dark one in his dreams. He chats with baalzamon, he frees his mother’s ghost (?) and then channels and “kills” Baalzemon. He runs out of juice at the end, falls to the ground, and wakes up back at they eye.

Honestly the end of Book 1 doesn’t make a whole lot of sense given what we learn of how things work in the later books.

The reason why Rand can fly and teleport during the battle against Ba'alzamon is because it takes place entirely in Tel'haran'rhiod, the Dream World, which is where Bal'azamon was all this time, hence why he kept appearing in the three boys' dreams. He does those things without really knowing how because that's how the Dream World works for some, but what he does can affect the real world because he's the Dragon Reborn and and the most powerful ta'veren of his Age, so he just fucks the rules. Reality bends around him. That's also why he then "wakes up" back at the Eye of the World despite fighting Ba'alzamon in the sky somewhere completely different.

One of the main theories about why Ishamael is still alive after the battle between Rand and Ba'alzamon is that Ba'alzamon was just an astral projection of Ishamael in the Dream World, which he could go to even when he was still imprisoned due to his proximity to the surface, and so when Ba'alzamon was killed by Rand, Ishamael only suffered some wounds.

Last edited:

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider

Especially a retard showrunner that says he wants ugly people in main roles.

That goes against all Hollywood convention. Where are the oldschool studio executives with some spine? It's all bosses son bitch boys running things now.