Wheel of Time

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
It made perfect sense in the books. The Aiel were not indigenous desert people, they fled there after the Breaking. And staying there became part of their culture. There's also a lore reason for the veiling. How does someone who read the books not know this? Didn't finish?

I did finish all the books, and I know they're not indigenous to the Aiel Waste. However, it seemed to me when I read the books their exodus was thousands of years and hundreds of generations ago, so it's a little odd to me they're still pale with red hair. I'm also aware of the lore reasons for their customs but it doesn't change the fact they were written to be basically irish-looking sandpeople, so I just find it funny now they're bringing in actual brown people to play them.

I'm obviously not an expert in the skin color of desert populations but I don't believe we have any red-haired fair-skinned populations in our actual deserts, even if some are indeed more dark-skinned than others depending on the world region.

Last edited:

Raes

Vyemm Raider
I did finish all the books, and I know they're not indigenous to the Aiel Waste. However, it seemed to me when I read the books their exodus was thousands of years and hundreds of generations ago, so it's a little odd to me they're still pale with red hair. I'm also aware of the lore reasons for their customs but it doesn't change the fact they were written to be basically irish-looking sandpeople, so I just find it funny now they're bringing in actual brown people to play them.

I'm obviously not an expert in the skin color of desert populations but I don't believe we have any red-haired fair-skinned populations in our actual deserts, even if some are indeed more dark-skinned than others depending on the world region.

It's only been like 3000 years since the Breaking. Even if it was 30,000 I am pretty sure that's not long enough for evolution to change skin color, but I'm no expert.

They didn't make all the Aiel blek, they just had to make Aviendha blek to diversify Rand's harem. Which of course, makes it even more retarded.

1694538567709.png

Edit: Also, try to ignore the fact that the Aiel are supposed to have deeply tanned faces and hands, not look like Midwest soccer moms.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
  • 1Picard
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Chinaman889

<Silver Donator>
It's only been like 3000 years since the Breaking. Even if it was 30,000 I am pretty sure that's not long enough for evolution to change skin color, but I'm no expert.

They didn't make all the Aiel blek, they just had to make Aviendha blek to diversify Rand's harem. Which of course, makes it even more retarded.

View attachment 490367

Edit: Also, try to ignore the fact that the Aiel are supposed to have deeply tanned faces and hands, not look like Midwest soccer moms.
Such fucking bullshit.

I hope this blasphemy ends after season 3.

Arative

Vyemm Raider
Such fucking bullshit.

I hope this blasphemy ends after season 3.
I don't understand the willingness to shit up a good IP.

The series is really good aside from the braid tugging that all the writers had to do was somewhat follow the books. Instead we get this shit, everyone involved should be made fun of and ridiculed.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
To be fair, the Aiel being fair-skinned redheads who also veil themselves and wear towels on their heads while living in tents in an arid wasteland, never really made much sense in the books.

There's a reason why desert populations are dark-skinned.

That said, Rand being white and redhead means they accepted that premise, but now they're realizing that means they have to create Randland Ireland, and that would fuck the diversity quota so they are now Aiel tusken raiders.

It makes sense in that the world was split apart, and people wound up wherever. Earth's continents split apart. People from Ireland wind up in the Sahara.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Raes

Vyemm Raider
I don't understand the willingness to shit up a good IP.

The series is really good aside from the braid tugging that all the writers had to do was somewhat follow the books. Instead we get this shit, everyone involved should be made fun of and ridiculed.

It's important to understand that it's not just "willingness", shitting it up is the point. This isn't a case of some retard thinking he can improve on the source material. It's about deliberately making changes to piss off the mostly straight/white fanbase. What I don't get are people who haven't read the books who think this crap is even barely decent. It ain't. Fuck, compare the best this show has to offer with any random episode of something like Spartacus, or even GoT. It's mind boggling.

• 2Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Chinaman889

<Silver Donator>
It's important to understand that it's not just "willingness", shitting it up is the point. This isn't a case of some retard thinking he can improve on the source material. It's about deliberately making changes to piss off the mostly straight/white fanbase. What I don't get are people who haven't read the books who think this crap is even barely decent. It ain't. Fuck, compare the best this show has to offer with any random episode of something like Spartacus, or even GoT. It's mind boggling.
I'm not white (but I am straight), and these fucking changes have pissed me off.

If they want to anger the fans who read the books over a 20 year period - good job, your unnecessary changes have succeeded.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

velk

Trakanon Raider
IIt's about deliberately making changes to piss off the mostly straight/white fanbase.

While the show is definitely offensive trash for anyone who read the series, the series sold >100million copies, most of them from outside the US. It seems statistically unlikely the fanbase would be 'mostly' anything, let alone straight/white.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
While the show is definitely offensive trash for anyone who read the series, the series sold >100million copies, most of them from outside the US. It seems statistically unlikely the fanbase would be 'mostly' anything, let alone straight/white.

If you know the "statistics" on what percentage of fantasy readers world-wide are white I'd love to hear them. At least we can agree that the majority are straight, right?

• 1Like

velk

Trakanon Raider
If you know the "statistics" on what percentage of fantasy readers world-wide are white I'd love to hear them. At least we can agree that the majority are straight, right?

Without getting into semantic quibbles about 'mostly' vs 'majority', yeah, the majority of the fan-base are probably straight, just on the basis that the majority of everyone is straight. That doesn't mean they are self-selecting or that gays don't like the wheel of time, which you seemed to be implying.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Without getting into semantic quibbles about 'mostly' vs 'majority', yeah, the majority of the fan-base are probably straight, just on the basis that the majority of everyone is straight. That doesn't mean they are self-selecting or that gays don't like the wheel of time, which you seemed to be implying.

I wasn't implying anything. I was stating my perception of Rafe Judkins motivations for being such a twat. Which I base on statements made by the fag himself, and by the obvious evidence. Every deviation from the established characters and lore is plainly done with no other purpose than to piss off certain fans. I give zero fucks about the specific demographics of the WoT fanbase. I give less than zero fucks about their sexual preferences.

velk

Trakanon Raider
I wasn't implying anything. I was stating my perception of Rafe Judkins motivations for being such a twat. Which I base on statements made by the fag himself, and by the obvious evidence. Every deviation from the established characters and lore is plainly done with no other purpose than to piss off certain fans. I give zero fucks about the specific demographics of the WoT fanbase. I give less than zero fucks about their sexual preferences.

In that case, I think we are actually in agreement and I just misunderstood you, my apologies.

The show is trash, and the showrunner is making retarded changes to a good story, some of which are to satisfy his political agenda, some of which are just retarded and/or incomprehensible.

• 1Like

Goatface

saw a post on reddit, Robert Jordan's collection has notes about characters and actors

1694701032856.png

Elayne: Nicole Kidman at age 18
Min: Isabella Rossellini
Tuon: Halle Berry
Moiraine: Hedy Lamarr
Lan: Liam Neeson in one of his craggier roles
Birgitte: Lucy Lawless of Xena
Faile: Cher at age 19
Thom: Patrick Stewart with hair
Verin: a young Margaret Rutherford
Siuan (after stilling): Renee Zellweger (before appearance change)
Gareth Bryne: a combination Charlton Heston and John Wayne
Morgase: Michelle Pfeiffer
Berelain: Isabelle Adjani
Padan Fain: Alan Rickman
Semirhage: Naomi Campbell or Tyra Banks
Demandred: Omar Sharif
Lanfear: a younger Catherine Deneuve

• 2Like
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Brikker

Trump's Staff

I haven't read any of these books and don't know much about the story.

I watched S1 and can confidently say it's one of the worst shows I've ever seen and one of the ugliest overall casts.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Arative

Vyemm Raider
saw a post on reddit, Robert Jordan's collection has notes about characters and actors

View attachment 490600

Elayne: Nicole Kidman at age 18
Min: Isabella Rossellini
Tuon: Halle Berry
Moiraine: Hedy Lamarr
Lan: Liam Neeson in one of his craggier roles
Birgitte: Lucy Lawless of Xena
Faile: Cher at age 19
Thom: Patrick Stewart with hair
Verin: a young Margaret Rutherford
Siuan (after stilling): Renee Zellweger (before appearance change)
Gareth Bryne: a combination Charlton Heston and John Wayne
Morgase: Michelle Pfeiffer
Berelain: Isabelle Adjani
Padan Fain: Alan Rickman
Semirhage: Naomi Campbell or Tyra Banks
Demandred: Omar Sharif
Lanfear: a younger Catherine Deneuve
Damn, that cast I could get behind.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Liam Neeson seems weird, given Jordan died before Taken came out. I am guessing must be phantom menace Neeson ?
Maybe he just liked Darkman! Nelson was also "craggy" in Rob Roy, Les Misérables, and Gangs of New York.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
I don't remember extreme details of the first few books but feels like they are straight ignoring them now. I don't remember any of this...