Which games did you enjoy/disliked most in 2018?

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Neki

Molten Core Raider
Was going to ask of your top 5 best/worst games but I struggled to remember too many games released last year that I really enjoyed.

Played through some of my backlogged games on Steam and the ones I enjoyed most were:

1) Subnatica
2) Rimworld
3) Dead Cells
4) Celeste
5) Slay the Spire
6) Muv Luv (Old visual novel but holy shit was Alternative good)

I didn't buy shitty games since I tend to watch some streams on Twitch when they are released and then decide whether or not to buy it if it interests me but these games made me disappointed even with me watching someone else playing them. Holy shit were there many shitty games released last year.

1) Fallout 76 (What else is there to say?)
2) Metal Gear Survive (Good god this game was bad)
3) Assassin's Creed Odyssey (Fuck micro transactions)
4) Just Cause 4 (Sandbox game that was so boring to watch and seemed to play)
5) Fortnite (It wasn't released last year but holy shit did this game blow up in popularity. I didn't pay it much attention when it came out thinking it was just some other BR game but now all the kids and teenagers can't stop going on about it to a point it is just shoved in my face. Can the game just die already? *old man grumble*)

I considered adding Atlas to the list but watching Forsen playing such a scuffed game on stream with his Ugandan army was hilarious so I will give it a pass.

Looking at the list, no surprise that most of the games I really enjoyed playing nowadays are indie games and the ones I really disliked were so called triple A games. Most of the games I enjoyed can be played on a average PC with no demand on a great graphics card meaning its more about engaging gameplay rather than graphics for me.

With how the gaming industry is tending towards now, I just expect 'triple A' games to get worse with EA/Activision Blizzard/Ubisoft all focusing on both flashy graphic games with no substance that are filled with micro transactions and mobile games because micro transactions again. Seriously, screw these publishers.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
Path of Exile for both. I played it until my eyes bled, but I quit and uninstalled recently with the new league/expansion.

Liked:

I've been playing the crap out of Terraria and finally made it to the Moon Lord but could not kill him. I've owned that game nearly from the start.

Also enjoyed Slay the Spire and One Deck Dungeon.

Disliked:

Destiny 2
The Division which I finally gave a really good try at and then uninstalled.
Diablo 3 - I actually bought the Necro expansion and gave it a fourth (or fifth) chance and still could not do it. Uninstalled for good.

I guess the issue here is that I can't play a loot-based shooter since Borderlands.

Edit - I note that I really don't play AAA games anymore, at least on release, so these are mostly old games.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cabales

Trakanon Raider
I have a little bit of trouble remembering whether or not the games I liked were 2018 or 2017 games since I tend to buy them on sale a few months after release these days. Here's a few that I really enjoyed though:

1.) God of War
2.) Red Dead Redemption 2 (single player only so far)
3.) Assassin's Creed: Odyssey (I didn't pay any attention to the microtransactions. Unless you're talking about the story DLC, which I did purchase)
4.) Spider Man on PS4
5.) Path of Exile (not new, but I just keep playing year after year)
6.) Monster Hunter World (Been on a long break, but will come back with the expansion this fall)
7.) Total War: Warhammer 2 (1 and 2 combined really)
8.) Battle Brothers

I didn't run into too many that I disliked because I tend to do some research and skip those. My list is like all triple A games. I really enjoyed them. I think there's a lot of terrible games coming out from the big names, but there are some really good ones too. I'm really looking forward to a few triple A games in 2019 too. Like Cyberpunk 2077, Outer Worlds, and the MH:W expansion.

• 1Like

Julian The Apostate

Vyemm Raider
I have a little bit of trouble remembering whether or not the games I liked were 2018 or 2017 games since I tend to buy them on sale a few months after release these days. Here's a few that I really enjoyed though:

1.) God of War
2.) Red Dead Redemption 2 (single player only so far)
3.) Assassin's Creed: Odyssey (I didn't pay any attention to the microtransactions. Unless you're talking about the story DLC, which I did purchase)
4.) Spider Man on PS4
5.) Path of Exile (not new, but I just keep playing year after year)
6.) Monster Hunter World (Been on a long break, but will come back with the expansion this fall)
7.) Total War: Warhammer 2 (1 and 2 combined really)
8.) Battle Brothers

I didn't run into too many that I disliked because I tend to do some research and skip those. My list is like all triple A games. I really enjoyed them. I think there's a lot of terrible games coming out from the big names, but there are some really good ones too. I'm really looking forward to a few triple A games in 2019 too. Like Cyberpunk 2077, Outer Worlds, and the MH:W expansion.
Pretty much my list. PC gaming was pretty shit in 2018. Took me awhile to realize I had to brush the dust off my old PS4 and side line my PC setup. Most of the PC games I did play this year I could play on a 10 year old laptop.

Needless

Toe Sucker
Disliked:
Battle for Azeroth
Fortnite

I never thought blizzard would make a worse, or more boring expansion than Cataclysm. Yet they've managed to do it 2 or 3 times now. BfA is by far the worst to date.
Fornite just spawned way too much autism throughout the entirety of 2018

Liked:
God of War
Farcry 5
DQ11
R6: Siege, (older game but i didn't really get into it and played a shit load of it during 2018)

GoW is the first time in a very long time that i can remember being truly impressed by the visuals and sheer magnitude of scale in a video game.
I never got into farcry games prior to 5, but i absolutely loved playing through 5 with how different each area was depending on the boss of the area.

Meh:
RDR2, game felt too clunky and unresponsive for me to actually enjoy

• 1Like

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Liked: RDR2, GOW, Spiderman, Forza Horizon, Monster Hunter World, Subnautica, Grim Dawn (old game but just got into it over Xmas), AC:O (mostly, but not as much as the others), Farcry 5 (mostly, but not as much as the others)

Disliked: BFA, Fortnite, OW basically any shitty game with shitty MTX and shitty game systems

• 1Like

iannis

Musty Nester
I played PoE years ago (I think it was the rogue exile league) and thought it was mid to fair. Reinstalled it about a month ago and made it through the campaign mode. They've fixed most of what was awful about the game. That includes the graphics. I remember the main reason I quit was poor balance and graphics that made me just want to die. It was the color pallet, they've varied it since to be far less monotonous. That matters for a game like PoE. It's a real solid AARPG now. Getting bought out actually did them a world of good.

otherwise

Rimworld
Oxygen not Included

and i've been watching steam wishing that a game of the type I enjoy would come out. It's not steams fault that I'm old.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Best Games I played in 2018:
1. Subnautica (an all time great game)
2. Dota 2 (Still the most engaging and addicting game since EQ 1999-2002, can't get enough, probably will never get enough)
3. RDR 2 (If anyone creates a virtual world, such as the Matrix, it will be Rockstar)
4. Soma (2015 game was released for free on GOG, amazing story and atmosphere, haven't felt anything quite like it since Deadspace 1)
5. Shadow of War (Played for the first time after the July '18 patch that removed micro transactions and re-balanced the game, very enjoyable)

Obviously, I really need to get a Playstation.

As for disappointing games, I don't buy shitty games. And I don't understand how other people buy them. To pre-order a fucking digital product these days, you have to be some sort of mentally-challenged window-licker. Just watch Twitch.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Liked:
1. Monster Hunter World
2. Slay the Spire
3. Path of Exile
4. Vermintide 2

Hated:
None. Didn't go outside those 4 really.

• 1Like

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Games I actually finished -

Battle Chasers Nightwar
Ni no Kuni II
Pit People
Furi
Monster Hunter World
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Mutant Year Zero

Games I played a lot that have no end -

Magic the Gathering Arena
Eternal Card Game
Slay the Spire
Path of Exile
Dragon Ball Fighter Z

Games that I did not finish, were buggy pos' or just didn't capture my attention -

Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Forza Horizon
Warhammer Vermintide 2
Artifact
90% of Xbox Games Pass

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Loved:
God of War. Excellent Story. Game play was amazing. Did not care for the post game grind, but the Valkyrie bosses were amazing. Only thing I did not care for was the abrupt and anticlimatic ending because sequal!
Assassin's Creed Odyssey. This game is just amazing to me. Only gripe I have is they tried to cram TOO much and many of the actual character progression stuff is gated by the story beats so you have to skip around too much for my tastes to get the next layer of abilities or armor unlocked. But really this is my GOTY alongside God of War.
Nioh (I know this is 2017 but this was a replay with my nephew who had just got it, but I have to include it as we put hundreds of hours into it)

Wish I liked but didn't

RDR 2. I just don't get it. For an open world it feels way too restricted. The missions can only completed in a certain way and things can only be done in a certain order. When you are actually able to free roam it just feels fake due to the fact that everything is so scripted even down to the "random" encounters you come across and once done, it's done and there are no more. While not as impactful, give me "emergent" or "radiant" quests that keep spawning over that any day. It just felt way too scripted. They'd be much better off making a game closer to Naughty Dog's or God of Wars that was more linear in my mind.

Monster Hunter World. I have absolutely no idea why I did not like this game but I don't. It has everything I want in games there, but for some odd reason the carrot is just not enough for me. The damage numbers really don't go up as you upgrade your weapons, and the armor just doesn't seem to improve. It just allows you to dish out x% of damage to or take x% damage per hit from the next set of monsters. Which I know is how all gear games work, but for some odd reason it just REALLY stuck out at me on this one. I want my big number HP and my big dick damage while nullifying the monster's big dick damage. Not be hitting shit for 20-30 for the most part in late game just like I was doing when first starting out.

• 1Like

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Monster Hunter World. I have absolutely no idea why I did not like this game but I don't. It has everything I want in games there, but for some odd reason the carrot is just not enough for me. The damage numbers really don't go up as you upgrade your weapons, and the armor just doesn't seem to improve. It just allows you to dish out x% of damage to or take x% damage per hit from the next set of monsters. Which I know is how all gear games work, but for some odd reason it just REALLY stuck out at me on this one. I want my big number HP and my big dick damage while nullifying the monster's big dick damage. Not be hitting shit for 20-30 for the most part in late game just like I was doing when first starting out.

I thought the same thing...You need to go back and fight old bosses to see the power up. Nerigante used to take me like seven minutes as GL. Now like three tops.

• 1Like

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Liked: RDR2, Spider Man, Diablo 3 for Xbone, FIFA 19 for Xbone. Wow, last year was almost exclusively Xbox. That's... Strange.

Trash:
BfA. Git fukt Activision.

spronk

FPS noob
Liked: RDR2 ("my immersion"), God of War, Spider-Man, Call of Duty Black Ops 4, Hitman 2, Forza Horizon 4, currently playing Nier Automata and really enjoying it

Disliked: Shadow of the Tomb Raider. Dull and boring story, paying MSRP for a game that is fine at $20

Evernothing

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Liked:
Monster Hunter World
Path of Exile
Rainbow Six Siege
BATTLETECH
RUST

Disliked:
PUBG - quite playing in Feb 2018
TESO - boring

Pemulis

Not Woke
<Bronze Donator>
I spent a good amount of time playing Destiny 2 on pc in the beginning of the year and then moved on to Monster Hunter World and enjoyed it way more than I expected.
Because of PS4 flash sales, I bought Horizon Zero Dawn and Nier Automata, but I haven't even downloaded either one because of the time I've spent on the PC games.
I also tried Path of Exile, but I honestly felt like it was more of a graphical representation of a complex math equation rather than an actual fun game.

• 1Like

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Liked
God of War (A fucking 10!)
Vermintide 2 (Best rat slaying game on the market)
Battlefield 5 (Surprsingly fun and tactical gameplay, aids without friends)
Ring of Elysium (It's free and I think it is better than PUBG, just can't get anyone to play it)

Disliked
RDR2 (Flame away I just couldn't get into it)
Path of Exile (Not a fan of AARPG games, gave it a shot due to it's praise)
BfA (lol)
Crowfall (I know it's not released yet, but god damn)
FF14 (Holy fucking messenger quests Batman)
Post Scriptum (I can't see shit captain)

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I've been playing the crap out of Terraria and finally made it to the Moon Lord but could not kill him. I've owned that game nearly from the start.
After you beat it, take a little time off and then try out the Calamity mod. It's got some fucking brutally punishing bosses added. The post-Moon Lord ones are pretty ridiculous (but fun; I really like the Devourer of Gods fight).