White people problem: Too much money and what to do with it all?

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Haus

<Silver Donator>
I stopped a Buc-ees somewhere between Austin and Dallas last week and I was like... wtf is this? The number of Tesla superchargers was only exceeded by the number of gas pumps. Damn that place was ginormous. Fucking packed too.
If there is any single thing in Texas which openly declares our hubris and feeling of being superior to God themselves.. it is Buc'ees.

As long as you are more than 90 mins drive from Dallas you can probably find a nice place. If you pick any place with some acreage in Texas you’re not doing it right if you don’t set up a farm, ecolab or some other scheme to duck taxes. I wouldn’t exclude areas outside of it, though I also won’t deny the benefits of living in the triangle.

And Central market is a thing of its own. Very upscale grocery store which is hard to directly compare to HEB.
The real goal for me would be enough land with enough trees, and preferably a creek, then get my ag exemption for "wildlife habitat preservation" which you can do for essentially proving "Yeah, I put out corn for the deer and boars". And let's you then use the land for hunting ("properly maintaining population"). Then above and beyond area cleared for a house clear out some for a nice and potentially growing area of peach trees. And ride that as my hobby farm into retirement.

Key's right now are :
  • Starlink giving reliable enough broadband for zoom and non-autist level gaming/internet. Which friends I have using it in NE Texas are telling me is a reality now with it.
  • At least 20 acres.
  • Preferably with a permanent (non-wet weather only) stream/pond.
Optionals : Some existing doublewide or small house I can fix up enough to make livable on weekends while I have the big house built.

Long Term : Build out the "till the end" house for Mrs Haus and I. Garage/workshop in the 2500sq ft pole barn range. Fix the smaller home up enough to move my septuagenarian mother into so I can keep an eye on her and care for her some. Then turn both her house, and mine, in Dallas into rental properties.

And yes, it's really just trying to find somewhere to put money to lose as little as possible or hold my own against inflation. With the nature of my job and projected business for the next year I'm going to have enough cash inbound over the next 6-9 months to put enough down, and enough down on getting the house built without needing to sell my current house. (or touch any other assets I have... All hail being in Cybersecurity sales) But if I know a market correction is coming I can bide my time to get best value on cash spent.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
I stopped a Buc-ees somewhere between Austin and Dallas last week and I was like... wtf is this? The number of Tesla superchargers was only exceeded by the number of gas pumps. Damn that place was ginormous. Fucking packed too.

Is it fun having to stop every 2 hours to charge? Also, wtf you in TX?

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Is it fun having to stop every 2 hours to charge? Also, wtf you in TX?
I have a real EV, so its more like 3-4 hours depending on how much I am speeding. Is it fun spending $4-$5 a gallon for gas?

Wife and I did a road trip around Texas last week. Ate BBQ, cruised around and relaxed.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
I have a real EV, so its more like 3-4 hours depending on how much I am speeding. Is it fun spending $4-$5 a gallon for gas?

Wife and I did a road trip around Texas last week. Ate BBQ, cruised around and relaxed.

Sounds nice.

Nope! But, all my customers are in rural areas and in the woods, so I'm not gonna risk running out of juice in the middle of nowhere.

My mom was looking at some receipts a few weeks ago and a year ago I would spend $45 at the gas station versus $110+ today.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Is it fun spending $4-$5 a gallon for gas?

So, I looked up a Plaid SUV from Tesla to see if it'd be beneficial for us to get EV's...

It'd cost around $5,500 a month for me and my dad to get Model X's when it typically costs us between $1600 - $3000 a month for payments + gas.

Worth? lol

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
So, I looked up a Plaid SUV from Tesla to see if it'd be beneficial for us to get EV's...

It'd cost around $5,500 a month for me and my dad to get Model X's when it typically costs us between $1600 - $3000 a month for payments + gas.

Worth? lol
Normal folks dont buy new Tesla Mx or MS. CPO is the way to go. $4500 tax credit on used MX and MY. CPO MY is around $65k give or take. Less tax credit is around $60. Thats the price of a Chevy pickup I believe.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Key's right now are :
  • Starlink giving reliable enough broadband for zoom and non-autist level gaming/internet. Which friends I have using it in NE Texas are telling me is a reality now with it.
  • At least 20 acres.
  • Preferably with a permanent (non-wet weather only) stream/pond

Check Starlink's website. They have a map of counties (that they claim) they are currently filling orders for retail and east Texas is not on it yet. Elon sent truckloads of dishes to Ukraine, so no clue how far back that set the roll out. Last I looked, a couple weeks ago, their official line was only at Stephens county, and west of there (hasn't changed in 6 months). Afaik, anyone in the DFW area with Starlink got it from /random lottery with the beta.

We sat in the beta queue for 8 months or so before giving up and signing a two year contract with Nextlink. Hopefully by then UCS (electric company) has completed their goal of fiber for every customer (many of whom are rural).

Last edited:

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Here's a good one for you all: I have 4 small kids and I want to get each one into a Roth IRA as soon as possible. I see that the rules state that they can only do it if they have a "job" and that you can donate up to whatever amount they make in a year. To get to $1,000/yr they would have to "earn" $20 a week working for my business. If we have multiple properties why can't I just give them 20 bucks a week to help me run the business (simple arithmetic/excel) when they are 7 or 8?

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Here's a good one for you all: I have 4 small kids and I want to get each one into a Roth IRA as soon as possible. I see that the rules state that they can only do it if they have a "job" and that you can donate up to whatever amount they make in a year. To get to $1,000/yr they would have to "earn" $20 a week working for my business. If we have multiple properties why can't I just give them 20 bucks a week to help me run the business (simple arithmetic/excel) when they are 7 or 8?

Look at this guy, how long before you have them in the coal mine!?

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Domt pay them "weekly", its more paperwork. Pay them 6k over the summer. Document the payments for when the IRS comes asking. Make it a Roth since they arent paying any taxes on the money so that was it comes out tax free.

You can also open them a custodial brokerage account with after tax dollars. Its shifts to their control at 21 (depends on state actually).

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Normal folks dont buy new Tesla Mx or MS. CPO is the way to go. $4500 tax credit on used MX and MY. CPO MY is around $65k give or take. Less tax credit is around $60. Thats the price of a Chevy pickup I believe.
Over here the used 2-3 yo teslas are more than a new. Bc up to a year waiting list. Aka you earn money buying a tesla and selling it later - including 15% upmarket prices. It's insane atm. Well, unless you dent/crash bc no parts...

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Over here the used 2-3 yo teslas are more than a new. Bc up to a year waiting list. Aka you earn money buying a tesla and selling it later - including 15% upmarket prices. It's insane atm. Well, unless you dent/crash bc no parts...
Where is here?

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Where is here?
8CDE4135-FD05-4C65-9BA2-4AB74B26F379.png

"Somalia"