Why all the Emulated EQ servers if EQ is free to play?

kudos

<Banned>
How many fucking times do you want to level up again? How many new zones do you want them to create just for leveling again, and again, and again, and again? If there are 100 zones for level 50s to level in, how the fuck are you supposed to find 5 other people who agree to go to the same zone?
You are asking that in this thread? All people want is original EQ. Why is that so hard to fathom? I'd level one of every class eventually if a progression server ended at Velious or SoL. I don't want them to create any more zones than they originally did. That's the point. That's what I've been saying.

Here is a quote from page 6:
700 different zones yet people really only want a redone EQ with 60 of those.
I only want to level in the original zones because those are the only ones worth a shit.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
I guess I also can't fathom how people have played one map of counterstrike for 15 years either. There has to be some kind of brain dysfunction involved to enjoy that much fucking repetition.

I played on Prog server for one reason only: For the content I hadn't seen before. I didn't make it through the shit I'd already done.

Care level for camping guk or doing NTOV raids again: -infinity. I was already bored of it the first time, why the hell would I want to do it again?

Elidroth, people play on "classic" style EMUs because they are fucked in the head.

kudos

<Banned>
I guess I also can't fathom how people have played one map of counterstrike for 15 years either. There has to be some kind of brain dysfunction involved to enjoy that much fucking repetition.

I played on Prog server for one reason only: For the content I hadn't seen before. I didn't make it through the shit I'd already done.

Care level for camping guk or doing NTOV raids again: -infinity

Elidroth, people play on "classic" style EMUs because they are fucked in the head.
People play dust2 constantly because it's the most balanced map thus shows who has the most skill. It's the min/max of Counter-strike. They play the same map constantly because it's more about skill level than it is pretty graphics or anything else.

You play EQ for the challenge... I guess? Most here play it for the world. You are just a different type of gamer. People still play UO and DAoC and even SW:G. They just enjoy the world it created.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
People play dust2 constantly because it's the most balanced map thus shows who has the most skill. It's the min/max of Counter-strike.
And playing the exact same game on the exact same map for years is fucking mental.

Siddar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
My take is that at a certain point in every MMO's life the game splits between those who want to move forward and those who view the game as essentially being complete at that point in time.

EQ clearly has passed that point, my guess is WoW is also pass that point as well even though I haven't played it sense WoTLK.

Im clearly in the EQ must move forward camp. But I understand why people that want classic EQ don't want to be on the same server as my level 100, 100k unbuffed hp, 100k dps character. Because me being there devalues the content they consider as being better then modern EQ.

Frenzic

Lord Nagafen Raider
Is it even possible for p99 to go beyond velious? I think the rolling server is a great idea but would it only ever be up to velious?

I'm in the minority but I think some of the later expansions were really good. The reason I love Sony progression servers is partly because they can hit some of the expansions I like.

For an emu, I'd be happy with up to planes of power and repeat. Planes should have been the end of everquest imo. Great final expansion.

Elidroth_sl

shitlord
I may regret posting this, but in a nutshell, this is the reality of why the EQMac server had to go away.

There was no way to support it easily. Todd Schmidt (Hobart) spent crazy amounts of his own time trying to make things work. Some did, a lot more didn't. The branched code base for EQMac was COMPLETELY different than EQ PC in so many ways.

There was also no way to monetize it reasonably. Whether you like it or not, SOE is a business, not a gaming charity, and that business needs to make money to survive. As soon as you start asking people to pay you money for the game, you MUST support it. Problem is, there were No GM tools, No Customer Support Tools, No DB access, and really no pipeline to patch it even. Hell, there wasn't even really a game client to speak of. It was a hack from an old EQ PC bundle that people fabricated together (which was AWESOME BTW, but nuts!
biggrin.png
)

I can't tell you why all that wasn't in place, because I have no idea. The entirety of that server was before my time at SOE. I just know to put it in place would have taken a huge amount of coder support, billing support, customer service staff, etc. You can't just stand up a server and tell people on it they're shit out of luck if they have a problem.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
I find it funny that closing down a server due to "not being able to offer support" is somehow seen as a superior service towards players then "just keeping the server up as is".

Prolly just me.

Lack of documentation and tools? Bad practices, somewhat similar to what happened to the PoM zone files?

SoE will keep SoEing
smile.png

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
I find it funny that closing down a server due to "not being able to offer support" is somehow seen as a superior service towards players then "just keeping the server up as is".

Prolly just me.

Lack of documentation and tools? Bad practices, somewhat similar to what happened to the PoM zone files?

SoE will keep SoEing
smile.png
You missed the important part. Not being able to monetize it, thus making it a charity.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
You missed the important part. Not being able to monetize it, thus making it a charity.
I was under the impression that EQmac required a payed subscription. I see this was removed later, doubt that was done because customers requested so.

Basically, they could just have left it "as it was". The whole "charging for a server without offering support" really is nonsense.

I never saw the fabled EQ1 support when we got another bugged instance, or when people didn't get flags from raids, or ..

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
I was under the impression that EQmac required a payed subscription. I see this was removed later, doubt that was done because customers requested so.

Basically, they could just have left it "as it was". The whole "charging for a server without offering support" really is nonsense.

I never saw the fabled EQ1 support when we got another bugged instance, or when people didn't get flags from raids, or ..
Up until about 2 years ago it did. Then all was fine for awhile until the server started going WILD when whatever we (royal we, as I had quit awhile before this point) called ourselves at that point started doing PoP. We got petitioned, they got petitioned, and since there was no money made from the server it became a money pit for Sony. Why use paid employees on a free project?

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
Up until about 2 years ago it did. Then all was fine for awhile until the server started going WILD when whatever we (royal we, as I had quit awhile before this point) called ourselves at that point started doing PoP. We got petitioned, they got petitioned, and since there was no money made from the server it became a money pit for Sony. Why use paid employees on a free project?
I can't imagine the community ever asking for the subscriptions to be removed.

SoE made that call on their own initiative, i find it weak to use it as an argument to close down the server.

Leon

<Silver Donator>
Removing the paid sub of EQmac was the downfall in its current iteration, no doubt, but it didn't have to be this way. I understand why it was decided due to the new F2P model across the board at SoE.
I also understand the reasons why the shutdown, my point however is, SOE had a huge lack of foresight. When EQmac was found out by the PC population they flocked to it even when there was a sub tied to it, and for a lot of people it scratched their itch for classic EQ greatly. All the things you describe could have been implemented over the years and keep the server afloat and healthy. With proper support it could have been marketed as the true classic EQ experience. No need to ever develop an expansion for it ever again, no dev cost, just develop and maintain the tools to support it and put it out there as a classic server. Patch it up to last PoP patch to fix all the quirks of PoP progression (fuck you Quarm 1.0). Bet your ass you could monetize THAT.
Hobart did amazing things for EQmac, and most of it was done on his spare time as a favor to the players. The reason why no proper support or tools ever existed for EQmac is because SoE never realized what they had. It wouldn't have cost much to make it viable and profitable.

kudos

<Banned>
You can monetize an old school server though with a monthly subscription requirement.

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
I may regret posting this, but in a nutshell, this is the reality of why the EQMac server had to go away.

There was no way to support it easily. Todd Schmidt (Hobart) spent crazy amounts of his own time trying to make things work. Some did, a lot more didn't. The branched code base for EQMac was COMPLETELY different than EQ PC in so many ways.

There was also no way to monetize it reasonably. Whether you like it or not, SOE is a business, not a gaming charity, and that business needs to make money to survive. As soon as you start asking people to pay you money for the game, you MUST support it. Problem is, there were No GM tools, No Customer Support Tools, No DB access, and really no pipeline to patch it even. Hell, there wasn't even really a game client to speak of. It was a hack from an old EQ PC bundle that people fabricated together (which was AWESOME BTW, but nuts!
biggrin.png
)

I can't tell you why all that wasn't in place, because I have no idea. The entirety of that server was before my time at SOE. I just know to put it in place would have taken a huge amount of coder support, billing support, customer service staff, etc. You can't just stand up a server and tell people on it they're shit out of luck if they have a problem.
I don't even know where to begin to tell you what I feel about this.

If it's not a charity, and you're not using it... Why in god's name did management decide to retain ownership of the code if they aren't doing anything with it? There's literally no reason to do this outside of wanting to profit off of it in the future. You could've easily went the EQNext route with everything - allow people to host their own EQMac servers and let people modify the pre-existing content.

No database access? Horseshit. Hobart was able to modify scripts, spawns, and code - spawns sounds like DB access to me, even if it's MS Access, you get the older version it's running on and use it.

No monetized game? Put $15/mo and a reasonable way for PC users to play on it and I have already done the math earlier in this thread. It's a viable market.

There was a game client; Hobart used a Windows client and had stated to me several times that he used it. Ask him yourself.

CSR tools I could understand; That seems like the only problem that SOE had. But really, is it that hard to ban someone's station ID for misbehaving in EQMac's codebase?

Also, why didn't SOE crowdsource the development of the EQMac code? Obviously it's not 'the same as EQLive' from what you are telling me, what in god's name is stopping us from having some decent coders besides Hobart have a go at it? You do realize that by closing the server and locking up the code like SWG, MxO, or soon-to-be Vanguard, that SOE is ruining history for everyone? That is the primary reason a lot of people do not play EQ1 - they have been betrayed by SOE in the past, what is stopping them from 'sunsetting' EQ1 somewhere down the road?

That is a fear in a lot of people's minds and it's why a lot of people turn to emulators like SWGEmu. Not the sole reason, but a reason.

ChaosSlayer_sl

shitlord
"Why in god's name did management decide to retain ownership of the code if they aren't doing anything with it?"

Cause release of the code would be admitting to the failure of proper handling their own property. Mega corps never admit they mishandled something, unless pressed against the wall
wink.png

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
SOE had a huge lack of foresight.
For me this is the main thing to remember.

I had a great time in EQ, for many years, but if I had initially known the direction the game would have taken I don't think I would have participated.

You do realize that by closing the server and locking up the code like SWG, MxO, or soon-to-be Vanguard, that SOE is ruining history for everyone? That is the primary reason a lot of people do not play EQ1 - they have been betrayed by SOE in the past, what is stopping them from 'sunsetting' EQ1 somewhere down the road?
This really. I don't care about 15$ or even 45$ a month.

Losing a character I've invested years in, because SoE decides to derp it up again?

Yea fuck that.

But really, is it that hard to ban someone's station ID for misbehaving in EQMac's codebase?
They couldn't even do it during OOW on the "real" servers. I had a main in a top raidguild, half the guild (and other raiders) were just warping to anguish entrance and other raid gathering points.

My guilds cheaters quit because the guild asked them to. SoE never did squat. I'm not even going to detail the transfer no-drop hack, my low-lvl unkeyed druid still has items it could never have attained. Never got busted, never heard anyone from club getting busted.