Why all the Emulated EQ servers if EQ is free to play?

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
You can make EQ better easily. Make MOLOing actually work at level 100. I personally quit my last EQ run because once I hit level cap I was fucking stuck. No one groups and my mercenary is worthless. Welp time to stop giving sony money again.
My monk molos rather well. Pet classes have it great in this department.

Shit's class dependent, just like EQ always has been.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Easily solved by giving you more than one mercenary.

That's just the state of the game now. They never addressed any of the downsides to forced grouping, only made them all worse.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
hey Elidroth.... did anything ever happen with that custom ruleset server idea that got mentioned after Progression 2014 got shot down?

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
He probably won't come back since everyone shit on him and his ideas about what makes games good

Zaide

TLP Idealist
Elidroth is an awesome dev. Back on the TLP servers he would take the time to come discuss things with guild leaders. I remember how impressed I was when he was asking me how I felt devs could solve the poopsock/dps race problems facing the server at the time.

Frenzic

Lord Nagafen Raider
Elidroth is an awesome dev. Back on the TLP servers he would take the time to come discuss things with guild leaders. I remember how impressed I was when he was asking me how I felt devs could solve the poopsock/dps race problems facing the server at the time.
Lovely, how come none of the issues were fixed then? Second TLP launches and the problems are the exact same... Great that they listen, but what good is it if they can't implement.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
He probably did the same thing he did here, ask for opinions and then completely dismiss them.

Needless

Toe Sucker
I'm totally assuming he went to SoE and told them "yo, this dude is looking for an eq shirt with firiona vie on it." and they're all "shit, lets add one to our jinx line then just for him!"
They totally listen.

Maybe not when it comes to the actual game though!

Zaide

TLP Idealist
Lovely, how come none of the issues were fixed then? Second TLP launches and the problems are the exact same... Great that they listen, but what good is it if they can't implement.
I was on Vulak when he did that, so the real test will be to see if there are any changes for the possible third set of servers.

That said, the player base probably gave him a bunch of shit alternatives. There isn't much you can do with classic EQ, it's going to be ugly no matter what. If you want to be on the better end of the drama wars early on here's what you have to do:

Take a week of vacation in line with the server launch.
Get a premade group of people you've known for a significant period of time.
Share account info and box each others characters while you sleep in shifts to ensure you get max level asap.
Bonus points if you roll an excessive amount of OP classes (I'm looking at you Mages!) and of course keep that group exp pot running 24/7.
Get the server first Nagafen kill
Poach all the other level 40+ players on the server by linking Nagafen loot in Gen chat as your crew moves to Vox right after Nag dies.

It will still be shit and you'll sock/dps race/exploit all the time, but at least you'll win most of the time.

FYI - I don't hold anything against anyone who does this. Looking back my biggest regret was not doing it big like that.

Frenzic

Lord Nagafen Raider
I was on Vulak when he did that, so the real test will be to see if there are any changes for the possible third set of servers.

That said, the player base probably gave him a bunch of shit alternatives. There isn't much you can do with classic EQ, it's going to be ugly no matter what. If you want to be on the better end of the drama wars early on here's what you have to do:

Take a week of vacation in line with the server launch.
Get a premade group of people you've known for a significant period of time.
Share account info and box each others characters while you sleep in shifts to ensure you get max level asap.
Bonus points if you roll an excessive amount of OP classes (I'm looking at you Mages!) and of course keep that group exp pot running 24/7.
Get the server first Nagafen kill
Poach all the other level 40+ players on the server by linking Nagafen loot in Gen chat as your crew moves to Vox right after Nag dies.

It will still be shit and you'll sock/dps race/exploit all the time, but at least you'll win most of the time.

FYI - I don't hold anything against anyone who does this. Looking back my biggest regret was not doing it big like that.
Completely unnecessary to do that. I played my warrior with a group of friends and quickly out paced them. Moved on to random groups and leveled up. Ended up being the first 50 warrior on Fippy with ease. Just play a lot if you want those goals. I find it best to make a pre server guild of hardcore people if you want to dominate the server.

As for how to make the server better? I don't think longer time locks will do a thing (Look at p99). The real answer is to make the content accessible to more people. My idea was to allow guilds to challenge bosses like they did on Stormhammer. Once a guild wins the challenge, they get a token to summon the boss once a week. The bosses still spawn regular, but the token allows more casual guilds to still kill them once in a while. The timers and such can be adjusted but this is the basic idea. Obviously charge more than 15 a month for the extra service.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
^ that is an excellent idea. lots of people want to finally experience the end-game content they missed out on when they were younger, but they don't want to or don't have the time to poopsock to do it. a server where you can get 10 of your friends together and challenge nagafen etc. at your leisure would probably make a lot of money.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
Completely unnecessary to do that. I played my warrior with a group of friends and quickly out paced them. Moved on to random groups and leveled up. Ended up being the first 50 warrior on Fippy with ease. Just play a lot if you want those goals. I find it best to make a pre server guild of hardcore people if you want to dominate the server.

As for how to make the server better? I don't think longer time locks will do a thing (Look at p99). The real answer is to make the content accessible to more people. My idea was to allow guilds to challenge bosses like they did on Stormhammer. Once a guild wins the challenge, they get a token to summon the boss once a week. The bosses still spawn regular, but the token allows more casual guilds to still kill them once in a while. The timers and such can be adjusted but this is the basic idea. Obviously charge more than 15 a month for the extra service.
Yeah I mean for any given player just get max level at any point in the server timeline, and then app to the top guild = profit. I was aiming more for a whole guild perspective on that.

Frenzic

Lord Nagafen Raider
^ that is an excellent idea. lots of people want to finally experience the end-game content they missed out on when they were younger, but they don't want to or don't have the time to poopsock to do it. a server where you can get 10 of your friends together and challenge nagafen etc. at your leisure would probably make a lot of money.
I think it would work really well for them. The hardcore might be a little annoyed but not enough that they wouldn't play. Just adjust how often the guilds can summon the bosses with coins. This would require extra work on SOE's part, that's why I said charge more. I would gladly pay 30 a month for a new premium server like this.

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
The best idea for a TLP server would be to end it at Velious like your customers have been asking for, for years.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I think it would work really well for them. The hardcore might be a little annoyed but not enough that they wouldn't play. Just adjust how often the guilds can summon the bosses with coins. This would require extra work on SOE's part, that's why I said charge more. I would gladly pay 30 a month for a new premium server like this.
i don't think they would need to add a new price tier. just make it Gold only. adding a new pricing tier would add a lot to the development costs, dunno if it would be worth it in the end.