Why all the nerd rage against Vanguard

Dom_foh

shitlord
Nice Xregg. Is that your normal settings and how many FPS are you getting?

I"m forced to run at highest performance just to get 30 fps (my PC is 3+ years old)

xregg_foh

shitlord
Yes its my normal settings. Im running at 1680x1050 highest quality with a couple sliders turned down a bit and no shadows. Im forcing x16 af and x4aa. Im getting 38-45 outdoors fps on average more inside.

PC specs are :

Core 2 Duo Extreme x6800
4 gigs ddr2 pc-6400 ram
8800gtx Video card
Seagate 250gb Sata 3g 7200rpm hard drive
Creative Blaster X-F Extreme Sound Card

I bought this system specific for next gen games. There seems to be some stuttering that comes out of nowhere when I play Vanguard. I hope memory leaks and these stuttering problems get fixed. The game plays smooth for the most part but some areas are just fucked up. Its a sure gem in the rough just gonna take some time to polish I guess.

Also im getting this strange stuttering . I was just indoors in a cave and was getting an average fps of 100 and still having this strange stuttering. I dont know what the fuck thats all about.

Cuppycake_foh

shitlord
xregg said:
Also im getting this strange stuttering . I was just indoors in a cave and was getting an average fps of 100 and still having this strange stuttering. I dont know what the fuck thats all about.
I"m getting similar issues except I"m at about 50-60 FPS at all times except the stuttering when I turn. So frustrating, but for me its a big issue - its so irritating I can"t even play the game.

Jedite_foh

shitlord
Cuppycake said:
I"m getting similar issues except I"m at about 50-60 FPS at all times except the stuttering when I turn. So frustrating, but for me its a big issue - its so irritating I can"t even play the game.
Have you tried turning on the ShaderCache with the initweak?

Cuppycake_foh

shitlord
Jedite said:
Have you tried turning on the ShaderCache with the initweak?
Yes, I followed that whole ini tweak that was posted in another thread. I defragged, installed new drivers, did disk cleanup tool, shut down every backup process. Kept improving the FPS, but didn"t change the stuttering.

Jedite_foh

shitlord
Cuppycake said:
Yes, I followed that whole ini tweak that was posted in another thread. I defragged, installed new drivers, did disk cleanup tool, shut down every backup process. Kept improving the FPS, but didn"t change the stuttering.
Ok there are a few things you can try..

1. First are you using a Static Size Page file?
2. Does your motherboard have onboard sound and or video? Are they turned off in the BIOS?
3. Do you have the game installed in a separate partition from your page file?

On number 3, I personally am of the belief that the best way to have things if you have say only 1 hard drive is to separate it into 3 partitions, 1 small for OS, 1 2times the size of your ram for the Pagefile, and a 3rd one for all ur instaled programs. thats how i run it from home since I have another HD just for backup stuff hehehe.

I would also suggest getting DiskKeeper for defragmenting, IT PWNZ the windows defrag application.

OHH BTW something VERY important, when you install new drivers, PARTICULARLY Audio or video I would suggest you uninstall them then use a tool like Drivercleanup in safe mode to COMPLETLy remove those drivers, alot of times these driver uninstalles leave a bunch of inf files ect that can hurt performance.

vynde_foh

shitlord
Cuppycake said:
werent you the one that said youd never ever try vg?

Cuppycake_foh

shitlord
vynde said:
werent you the one that said youd never ever try vg?
I don"t think I"ve ever said that. If I did, oops. I"ve said my fair share of negative things about the game but they were all backed up and justified by my personal experience in beta. I"ve also said that as long as its on the station pass, i"ll subscribe to it.

I give every MMO a couple weeks.

Edit: Oh wait, yes I did say that. My exact quote was - "No chance in hell." I"m a woman though - we"re sorta indecisive.

Cuppycake_foh

shitlord
Okay, I had a little bit of time to spend tonight in Vanguard without hitching. Somehow it seems that the longer I play the game, the more the performance improves. Sorta like a reverse memory leak or something.

First of all - damn, I"m actually a bit impressed. Now, I haven"t done much and therefore my opinion doesn"t mean all that much...but so far they"ve done a great job on the level of immersion that I like to feel in a game. I am not speaking of the mechanics or the class balance or anything. So far, the little psionist that I am playing seems to be an interesting class to play - but time will tell.

The things that I have liked so far...I was in the High Elf starting area and killing beetles for a quest and happened across a door in a little monument type looking thing. Well it turned out to be a little mini-dungeon with a couple mobs and a room full of coffins (ended up being for a quest). But when I opened those doors and walked in and saw the creepy winding staircase and the music turned into something dark and scary sounding - I was blown away. That"s the simple little things that take my breath away. Fun + Exploration. Too bad exploration only lasts so long. Anyway, here"s a couple crappy screenies so I can contribute a bit more than words.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Anyone using a BFG 7950 512mb card? I"m using the stock drivers and they seem to work find at about 30fps. Can someone let me know what the best drivers are in their experience? I"m going to try a few tomorrow when I get a chance.

Drednots_foh

shitlord
Cuppycake said:
Okay, I had a little bit of time to spend tonight in Vanguard without hitching. Somehow it seems that the longer I play the game, the more the performance improves. Sorta like a reverse memory leak or something.

First of all - damn, I"m actually a bit impressed. Now, I haven"t done much and therefore my opinion doesn"t mean all that much...but so far they"ve done a great job on the level of immersion that I like to feel in a game. I am not speaking of the mechanics or the class balance or anything. So far, the little psionist that I am playing seems to be an interesting class to play - but time will tell.

The things that I have liked so far...I was in the High Elf starting area and killing beetles for a quest and happened across a door in a little monument type looking thing. Well it turned out to be a little mini-dungeon with a couple mobs and a room full of coffins (ended up being for a quest). But when I opened those doors and walked in and saw the creepy winding staircase and the music turned into something dark and scary sounding - I was blown away. That"s the simple little things that take my breath away. Fun + Exploration. Too bad exploration only lasts so long. Anyway, here"s a couple crappy screenies so I can contribute a bit more than words.
Wait till you get to Hillside Manor (18-25, 3-4 dot). A MASSIVE haunted house in central thestra. I started there in my late teens on the huge grounds killing UD etc. At 22 I started pulling mobs from the rooms around the entry hall. Exp isnt as good (almost 26) now but waiting for some friends to catch up to check it all out. I can solo 3 dot but farther in alot of 4 dot etc. I havent spent all my time there but I could have.

Anyway as I was soloing behind it I found a stable on the grounds and some storm doors w/ stairs to a underground crypt with quest related mobs even. After clearing the last ones found a couple of chests with loot and the named one started a quest. Cool place.

Dashal_foh

shitlord
Cuppycake said:
Some people do a hitch spin and get it out of the way, the game seems to have to load everything into memory then the hitching passes for the most part. At least that"s my experience, and it"s much better now than it was. Still room for improvement obviously, but once you get past it, it"s all good.

Cuppycake said:
Too bad exploration only lasts so long.
That"s one of the strengths of the game, the world is huge and filled with stuff like that. I"m also fond of running along and seeing something cool way off in the distance and going to investigate. It"s very impressive.