Why all the nerd rage against Vanguard

Kolle_foh

shitlord
The Hiram Key said:
For years now Kolle, the gaming community has been talking about holding the developers accountable for the shit they release. We have been talking about getting what we pay for, not having to pay to beta test a game, and not getting shit when we expect shine.

You want to give Brad McQuaid a fucking pass here ? This is / was Furor"s forum right ?

Pussies.
You"re right. I must be a pussy. Let"s hold them accountable by making angsty forum posts! That will teach them.

I"m paying for the game. I"m having a good enough time that it"s worth my money. You can kindly stfu and take your hate somewhere else.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Cuppycake said:
Hey man, its totally cool. I agree with you - the character models are fucking awful in this game. I tried for a long long time to make a good looking character - and that"s what I came up with.

I"m real close to just saying fuck it and making a goddamn cat person or a Raki. At least then I won"t resemble someone with down syndrome. =/

And btw, my character in my sig is AFTER I doctored her up. I repainted her hair and her face, and gave her better makeup. Did more highlighting and shading. She looks WORSE in game if you can believe that. =/
My Half-Elf is damn sexy.

r.gun_foh

shitlord
The Hiram Key said:
Give us a break Tad,people have to turn the fucking sound off in many cases just to make the game playable. I don"t know what is worse, your manifestation from a regular sane poster to rabid fanboy shill, or the fact that people actually think it"s okay to play a game sans sound.

Take a step back from the Vanguard yoke on your neck a minute and think about what you are defending.
Where the hell did that come from? Just thought you"d randomly throw in some kind of remark against the game? The majority of people who use voice chat turn off the games sound anyways, so whats the big deal?

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
rinthea said:
It has slowed down the last few weeks and I"m not happy about a few promises that were made with words like "soon after release".
I"m not sure I"m that surprised really, given all the promises pre-release.

I do have to say that I agree with Hiram, in principle - I really don"t want to drop the bones for VG when imo Sigil just barely scraped by, and there are/will be other MMO"s out there to play. What I am still unsure of is where to draw the line. IMO you"re crazy to expect a fully-finished game, but the same could be said for people that are willing to play a half-finished game (any game, not necessarily VG). I agree in that I don"t want to pay for a game that doesn"t deserve it, but deciding where VG really stands with biased opinions flying willy-nilly everywhere is nigh on impossible.

In a sense I was hoping it would release at one extreme or another, as making the decision to play would be much easier. With it releasing rushed and people basically disagreeing on the state of the game, I"ll likely err on the side of caution and not buy it yet. /shrug

As a side-note, if I don"t buy the game, I"m sure I"ll be in the minority on my reasoning and Sigil won"t be sending me "OMGZ Please play!" postcards. I would think the actual number of people who are reticent to play due to accountability and the desire to "not play an unfinished game" are far outnumbered by those who are buying the game w/o any clue to anything that went on before they saw the box in the store. [Insert comment on consumer research/self-education here, I suppose]. What I am sure of is that I am pretty unwilling to buy a game to try it out, only to become dissatisfied and end up with a box sitting on my bookcase collecting dust.

I also will freely admit that I was wrong, in that I didn"t think Sigil would pull things together like they did in time for release. That said though, it still wasn"t good enough to wash away the beta-stigma for a lot of players, they seem to have done just enough to squeak by, and if they are starting to slow down now on correcting issues post-release as Rinthea has stated...well...hmmmm.

Off-Topic: While it may be a piss-poor comparison due to engine development, WAR:O has already had some gameplay videos out...again though iirc they are using whatever DaoC used, upgraded somewhat I believe. They do seem to be better off, time-wise, in comparison to how Sigil was, but I guess using someone elses engine will do that.

Reminded me of a WOW clone, far and away more than VG ever did, FWIW. Good or bad, I dunno.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I play games without sound all the time. When I played WOW I don"t think I"ve heard the in game sound in over a year. I think me and Ham were talking on Vent the other day saying how VG"s music is actually decent. Anyway I always have sound off or low so I can hear vent or the TV.

Kolle_foh

shitlord
VG sound is good. I never had a performance issue with music on. I turned it off because I listen to stereo/mp3 player when I play.

Greyform_foh

shitlord
The Hiram Key said:
For years now Kolle, the gaming community has been talking about holding the developers accountable for the shit they release. We have been talking about getting what we pay for, not having to pay to beta test a game, and not getting shit when we expect shine.

You want to give Brad McQuaid a fucking pass here ? This is / was Furor"s forum right ?

Pussies.
When a game is complete and udder trash (Dark and Light, DDO) word gets out and the message is sent pretty clearly.

The message on VG has been pretty clear these past few months.

The word potential has been used more often than not by folks like myself who only wanted a fun game to play, and were not under the delusion of some self appointed quest to hold Sigil accountable for every poorly released game since the dawn of the pixel.

Many of us are having a blast playing the game now, a lot of that potential has been realized and the game is enjoyable (yes but still bugged) and very immersive.

No doubt if you wanted to find flaws with the game you surly would not need to look to hard, but on that note, if you were looking to have fun and enjoy this genre of game. You would not have to try to hard either.

Vanguard is not a religion no one here is trying to convert anyone. If you enjoy WoW by all means continue to play it and have a ball.

If you are looking for something different, Vanguard is a pretty good game that is only going to get better.

I am hooked on it, so yes my opinion is slanted, but I think if you look at my own posting history on this game you will find I was more than just a bit skeptical, and even though I do still believe the game would have done itself a far better service spending more time on polish. I am enjoying it now, and hope folks give it a real ?let me see it for myself? try.

Grey?

tad10

Elisha Dushku
The Hiram Key said:
Give us a break Tad, people have to turn the fucking sound off in many cases just to make the game playable. I don"t know what is worse, your manifestation from a regular sane poster to rabid fanboy shill, or the fact that people actually think it"s okay to play a game sans sound.

Take a step back from the Vanguard yoke on your neck a minute and think about what you are defending.
Good to see you"re still trolling in VG threads Hiram. Glad you"ve finally stopped the "oh I want it to succeed even though I hate SOE" schtick and just given in to full on mindless raving.

I think I"ll go play a little more VG now. I feel like the kid in the candy store eating the Wonka Bar while little Charlie Hiram Key stares through the window telling himself that the Wonka Bar would just make him sick to his stomach.

Gaereth_foh

shitlord
tad10 said:
Dude, after you keep calling me out as a fanboy I went and read your old VG threads posts. Your posts either defend WoW against any criticism (I enjoyed your "WoW is best grouping experience evah" from 1-59 post btw that"s a keeper) or bring up any fact (no matter how unsubstantiated) that reflects badly on VG.

Your biases and intentions are clear despite your statement above. At least I admit I"m a level 48 shill.
lol...you are such a whiny little wench. Yes, I think WOW has great class dynamics and an awesome grouping experience if people choose to experience it. Most people don"t because its easier to solo, but its there if they so choose to use it. My playing of these games is always grouped. About 99% of the time I am grouped and hunting in places soloers can"t so I am pretty confident in knowing what is good and what isn"t.

I think VG has made huge leaps and bounds from where it was a month ago. I have always felt that it had great bone structure with a whole lot of problems
that will take time to resolve. The beta game is not the game we have now, hell, the game of a month ago isn"t the game we have now.

All that said, I am very interested in the sub numbers because VG and its crew are pretty high profile in the industry. A quality release and decent sub numbers for VG is good for the industry while a poor one can create some hesitation, especially in the money lending area. Good for VG means good for the genre which in turn is good for all players and devs.

Clug_foh

shitlord
tad10 said:
Your biases and intentions are clear despite your statement above. At least I admit I"m a level 48 shill.
You are level 48 in Vanguard already? If so, did they WoWize the leveling curve as well? Because in Beta it was nowhere near that fast.

tad10 said:
Good to see you"re still trolling in VG threads Hiram. Glad you"ve finally stopped the "oh I want it to succeed even though I hate SOE" schtick and just given in to full on mindless raving.

I think I"ll go play a little more VG now. I feel like the kid in the candy store eating the Wonka Bar while little Charlie Hiram Key stares through the window telling himself that the Wonka Bar would just make him sick to his stomach.
I wonder how long it will take you to morph from rabid vanguard lover to foaming at the mouth vanguard hater ? At least I remain consistent, if not a bit subdued; they have made progress, and a lot of it. Still it was not release worthy and is a hugely subpar submission given the games pedigree.

I am glad you are having fun Tad10, thats what this is all about.

Bongk_foh

shitlord
Clug said:
You are level 48 in Vanguard already? If so, did they WoWize the leveling curve as well? Because in Beta it was nowhere near that fast.
no he is a lvl 24 monk last i saw. the lvl 48 shill thing is a joke.

Draegan said:
I play games without sound all the time. When I played WOW I don"t think I"ve heard the in game sound in over a year. I think me and Ham were talking on Vent the other day saying how VG"s music is actually decent. Anyway I always have sound off or low so I can hear vent or the TV.

There is a difference between having the option of playing with sound, and being told "turn it off if you want to play".

Dashal_foh

shitlord
The Hiram Key said:
At least I remain consistent, if not a bit subdued; they have made progress, and a lot of it. Still it was not release worthy and is a hugely subpar submission given the games pedigree.
I say it was release worthy, although it wasnt a stellar release. Still comparitively it did pretty well IMO. Better than say EQ2s release, which is a top of the line MMO as well, and I enjoyed that game too.

Shit if they would have release the end of this month it could have been a really good release, but I"m willing to put up with the crap for a while so long as it"s being worked on.

holymight_foh

shitlord
The Hiram Key said:
There is a difference between having the option of playing with sound, and being told "turn it off if you want to play".
I play just fine with sound on? I also don"t know anybody ingame that plays without sound.

Bongk_foh

shitlord
The Hiram Key said:
you so over-exeggerate this issue. A few people are having issues with certain configurations where it affects them severly. But for most people you can play with on-board sound just fine it just reduces your FPS about 5-7.

My box is total shit, it is a 3 year old dell box with nothing non-standard except the vid card and another gig of generic memory. Yes i have onboard sound and it doesn"t cause me any issues at all. I go from 35 fps to 28 fps big deal...

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Gaereth said:
lol...you are such a whiny little wench. .
Pot meet kettle.

The Hiram Key said:
Still it was not release worthy and is a hugely subpar submission given the games pedigree.
And you last played when?

Edit: I like the new tag there Hiram. I feel the love.

Nino_foh

shitlord
To clarify...

NOBODY is telling you to turn the sound off; certainly not in any official capacity.

If you have sound hardware, the game actually runs even better. The problem is with low quality on-board sound that renders everything in software. No doubt, this will degrade your performance. We are working with Creative to get to the bottom of the device enumeration issues that make SOME onboard sound systems choke. The DLL files we originally implemented, which came directly from Creative, did not work properly with the engine. Debugging the issues and getting them fixed in a vastly complex environment takes time. I assure you, nobody is more unhappy about this than I am. I also know it will be resolved in due time.

I spent the weekend installing Vista 64 bit and found that you cannot choose hardware mode in Vanguard, and I am stuck rendering in software. I reported this last night and I will follow up on it this morning.