Why all the nerd rage against Vanguard

Sithro_foh

shitlord
Shinrai said:
If Vanguard was absolutely bug free, which it isn"t, it would still be a fairly unexciting game with limited potential to get enough subs to fund development. The lore is dull, the world is huge but unremarkable, the mechanics are pretty much "stock" and the gaming model is firmly back in the "slaughter mobs until bored" category.

While Vanguard cost less than WoW the current subscriber numbers and strongly negative word of mouth must still be regarded as a dismal failure given the money and experience that was available for development.

I"m still playing, but I"m not very impressed.
I have to wonder WHY they don"t have lore in the game. The old Vanguard website was loaded with well written lore.

Wtf happened?

Stevon_foh

shitlord
Draegan said:
Every pick up group I was in sucked ass.
That was incredibly true for the first few weeks after release. Every group I was in was a complete wash. That"s one reason I quit. Progressing any further felt virtually impossible due to the "grouping" requirement (for any real progression) and the fact that anyone with any skill had already leveled past. All it takes is one dumb ass to wipe a group over and over, and it happened over and over.

Groups now are probably better since all the dumb asses have quit (along with plenty of skilled players too frustrated to continue, like myself).

Mkopec1_foh

shitlord
Zehn - Vhex said:
On the other hand, he might figure it out but quit in disgust at the bullshit mechanics and huge time requirements and no matter how nice or fun a person he may be to game with, he won"t bother because WoW isn"t nearly as much of a hassle but offers even more challenge and people to play with.

That"s one of many issues I have with VanGuard... >SNIPPAGE< 8(
Time requirements? For waht? to get to the max?

Who gives a shit about the max. No one designed vg"s leveling curve to weed out the idiots. It was designed in a way so you can stop and smell the fucking roses instead of max, max, max, raid, raid, raid. Rinse and fucking repeat....

Since when did these games turn into this shit? How come we cannot enjoy these games for what they are, the fucking jourey, not the end?

I understand youre in the "no level grind camp" Ive been reading your shit here for years, thats fine, nothing wrong with that. But I dont agree that this necesarily makes for the best game. To me this is not a mmorpg anymore. You could package that shit up single player style with "on line" play IMO. Your one step away from Guild Wars. PvP arenas? Raid instances? Perfect. I myself enjoy exploring, leveling up, going to a dungeon area and spending a week there exping and questing. And then when im done, moving on to the next. I have time, im not in a rush. But it seems too many of you are. Im there with you guys, I have a famiy, 2 kids, wife and a beagle named snoopy. And a full time stressful ass job. I dont have all day to play, but that does not matter, because again, there is no rush.

I like the way this game is set up and enjoy it, and I hope the god these games in the future dont end up like WoW but quicker, because then it would be the death of the RPG on line. As long as there is engaging group play, big immersive world, good rewards for your time spent, and seeing the power and wealth gains with your character I could really give a fuck if im lv12.8 or LV70 and gear collecting. In the end its all the same shit.

woqqqa_foh

shitlord
Mkopec1 said:
Since when did these games turn into this shit? How come we cannot enjoy these games for what they are, the fucking jourey, not the end?
Since about the time EQ came out...people didn"t always approach it in this way (that was a subset of power gamers) but as games became more linear, this mindset seemed to spread to the rest of the community. This is why I prefer games like EVE and UO (which I may try again if they release some classic servers with the graphics update).

Mkopec1_foh

shitlord
Stevon said:
While I was playing VG at release it really felt that everyone was simply "working" their way through those levels. There was no real excitement or exclamations of "wow cool" or even much excitement over new weapons... it was just the process of getting somewhere. Probably a lot of this is the lack of any real underlying lore or story that ties things together, such as with Vellious, for example.
Funny you should mention Velious. Because IMO that was the sign of things to come in these games. A shift from exploratory group centric to raid type gameplay. Hurry up and level so you can raid. And Wow further enhanced this type of gameplay with making everything from 1-70 worthless and in the end trivial but the end game, but... but the END GAME...WOW...

This is what people expect now, hurry up level quick through these worthless levels without even appreciating anything in the middle. The focus shifted from the exploratory challenging group play to RAID OR DIE !

Sithro_foh

shitlord
I agree Mk, there"s no rush. I think it"s just something that was programmed into our brains from EQ. Basically, "Want to see the cool shit? Grind..."

Vanguard seems to have quite a few interesting dungeons, and places to explore. What I"m worried about (i"m not much worried about the other things anymore, they"re common to MMOs) is if Vanguard has enough time to fix itself up and stick around for years. I"ve been to various message board with people saying, "Sigil doesn"t have enough money to finish this, and since the game isn"t making a real profit yet, they"re fucked."

Tiz annoying. I don"t want to dedicate time to something that will die in a year or so.

Just my two cents.

kcxiv_foh

shitlord
Mkopec1 said:

Who gives a shit about the max. No one designed vg"s leveling curve to weed out the idiots. It was designed in a way so you can stop and smell the fucking roses instead of max, max, max, raid, raid, raid. Rinse and fucking repeat....

I understand youre in the "no level grind camp" Ive been reading your shit here for years, thats fine, nothing wrong with that. But I dont agree that this necesarily makes for the best game. To me this is not a mmorpg anymore. You could package that shit up single player style with "on line" play IMO. Your one step away from Guild Wars. PvP arenas? Raid instances? Perfect. I myself enjoy exploring, leveling up, going to a dungeon area and spending a week there exping and questing. And then when im done, moving on to the next. I have time, im not in a rush. But it seems too many of you are. Im there with you guys, I have a famiy, 2 kids, wife and a beagle named snoopy. And a full time stressful ass job. I dont have all day to play, but that does not matter, because again, there is no rush.

I like the way this game is set up and enjoy it, and I hope the god these games in the future dont end up like WoW but quicker, because then it would be the death of the RPG on line. As long as there is engaging group play, big immersive world, good rewards for your time spent, and seeing the power and wealth gains with your character I could really give a fuck if im lv12.8 or LV70 and gear collecting. In the end its all the same shit.
agree with everything you say. . I am in no hurry to get to the top. I have been all over Telon looking at all the different zones or at least i try. I will be raiding in this game as well, but i am in NOOO hurry to get to max level. The guild i am in are enjoying leveling and exploring new areas. Most everyone in my guild is hardcore raiders, but we arent ones to want to hit max levels the 2nd week of release.

Cuppycake_foh

shitlord
Lyenae said:
It all comes down to

- Lack of Talent
- Mismanagement of Money
- Not designing within constraints.

Period. Don"t make any fucking excuses for them.
Fucking thank you. All the excuse making for Sigil makes me want to stab pandas. You know where your budget is and what your constraints are and you design a team to create the best game you can with those limitations. Bottom line.

The problem is when you have a lack of direction for your team and disorganized chaos throughout development and beta....you"re going to have a game that comes out in the state that VG did. Sigil sure wasn"t acting like a company that had any concern about deadlines or efficiency. Completely revamping noob zones in late beta, completely revamping classes weeks before retail, scrapping previous diplomacy ideas and rebuilding it from the ground up....that"s shit you do if you have time to fully test and work out the resulting bugs, or if you have the money and employees to throw at it.

Witoubo_foh

shitlord
Witoubo said:
They ended up where they are because of poor management and a lack of direction. Not because making an MMO is the hardest thing on the face of the earth and no one will every get it right. People who are disgruntled have every right to be.
I said it like a month ago Cuppy, but you were still on your honeymoon with VG and too in love to notice =)

xmod2_foh

shitlord
Mkopec1 said:

I think you"ve mistakenly posted on the wrong board.

Here is the link I believe you"re looking forVanguard Roleplayers Community Forums - Powered by vBulletin

The whole point of these games is getting bigger and badder. If the point of the game is to explore dungeons then why bother with levels? Change it up and force people to travel and explore and smell the roses to advance, not gain xp to level.

Anyway, I think EQ2"s mentoring system fixes the xp gain vs revisting content problem nicely.

rinthea_foh

shitlord
I dont think you can give them the "lack of talent" label. Its obvious there is a lot of talent thats created some pretty amazing things in the game. I"d put this down to more of a "lack of quality, structured organization skills/program".
Mismanagement of money is obviously a big tick. Not designing within constraints I"m also wary of criticizing them here too. Because of the mega fuckup of mismanagement of money this makes this one look worse. In a mmo, I"d prefer a game with potential then a lower potential, more finished game. So, I dont criticize them here. My criticism with this falls under the mismanagement of money label.
I"d also put down "horrendous marketing campaingn" but I suppose this falls under the lack/wastage of money label too.

All that said, its still a great game. Its just a shame its not what it should be... now

PS try diplomacy for lore

Sithro_foh

shitlord
Cuppycake said:
Fucking thank you. All the excuse making for Sigil makes me want to stab pandas. You know where your budget is and what your constraints are and you design a team to create the best game you can with those limitations. Bottom line.

The problem is when you have a lack of direction for your team and disorganized chaos throughout development and beta....you"re going to have a game that comes out in the state that VG did. Sigil sure wasn"t acting like a company that had any concern about deadlines or efficiency. Completely revamping noob zones in late beta, completely revamping classes weeks before retail, scrapping previous diplomacy ideas and rebuilding it from the ground up....that"s shit you do if you have time to fully test and work out the resulting bugs, or if you have the money and employees to throw at it.
STFU WITH YOUR MY LITTLE PONY AVATAR AND YOUR STUPID LITTLE SHORTS!

And now that I"ve said that... :p

I"m not sure if it was lack of direction. It was probably pretty organized at first, then just got crazy. I know Sigil used to be a company of like 12 people, or something.

It was probably a mix of mis-management and shooting to high. Brad had all these ideas (diplomacy, ships, seamless world, no instancing) etc, and they just couldn"t get it all in.

As I said before, what they need to do now is focus on what they HAVE. They have the adventuring, crafting, diplomacy, and world. They just need to fix it all, and add lore.

Fix and improve.

Fix and improve.

Fix and improve.

If they can get what they have solid, they can add the other stuff later.

Oh, and I WANTS MY LORE BRAD! You had great lore on the old site, there"s no excuse for it not being in game. D:

Cuppycake_foh

shitlord
xmod2 said:
The whole point of these games is getting bigger and badder. If the point of the game is to explore dungeons then why bother with levels? Change it up and force people to travel and explore and smell the roses to advance, not gain xp to level.
I think you"re only correct to an extent. The point of MMOs is relative to the person playing it. To the powergamer its all about logging lots of hours into the game and getting the most out of it in terms of comparing yourself with "the competition" - aka fellow players. For some people its all about accomplishing as much as you can in the varying amount of time you may have to play. And for some of us - its all about adventuring, exploration, lore, questing, crafting, socializing and developing a sense of "self" within a fantasy setting.

I don"t think there is any point in calling these games an MMORPG if people are interested in taking the RP right out of the game. Sure there are ways you could accomplish creating a successful game without levels - and I"ve read some downright brilliant ideas on various developer blogs. Why aren"t they implemented? Probably because of the importance to a lot of players of seeing a tangible number grow so that they can see their character "aging" and developing in a sense. And because I have yet to see a company that can release enough dynamic and varying content that it can appease people who are solely looking to explore without the leveling aspect. Its much easier to visualize than to actually implement.

I don"t think Mkopec was speaking for the hardcore raiding scene. I think he was speaking as a general MMO enthusiast. Sure, its nice when you get to max level to have tons of shit to do once you"re there - but wouldn"t it also be fabulous to have a blast along the way with mini raids, epic long quests, elements of immersion and enough content for replayability factor?

Personally, I enjoy when people speak up for a demographic other than the hardcore raiders. Granted this is a website for a raiding guild both past and present - yet its no secret that a variety of gamers (and non-gamers) frequent these boards and have some input to offer as well. =x

Twobit_sl

shitlord
Sithro said:

Oh, and I WANTS MY LORE BRAD! You had great lore on the old site, there"s no excuse for it not being in game. D:
Aside form the lore being completely absent from the game, what little there is just feels really generic, stale and overdone. Magic hungry elves becomming corrupted? Gee, where have I heard that before.

Sithro_foh

shitlord
Twobit Whore said:
Aside form the lore being completely absent from the game, what little there is just feels really generic, stale and overdone. Magic hungry elves becomming corrupted? Gee, where have I heard that before.
Yeah, but check out the lore on the site (if it"s still around). Morgan"s Tale, etc, was some good shit.

They need to get Glip writing some stuff.

rinthea_foh

shitlord
Twobit Whore said:
in case you missed it...
try diplomacy for lore..........

edit: oh yeah and perhaps you should actually play the game before you make up any more fictitious crap

Sithro_foh

shitlord
While Diplomacy may have lore, I think they should make it more accessable. Like in libraries and stuff.

And quests, definately show it in quests. :p

MetalNeo_foh

shitlord
kohl said:
I expect this kind of silly thinking from typical posters, but if Brad actually thinks this way then VG is doomed.

Devs need to think outside the box with regards to their games and quit trying to categorize and label so much. Focus on making a game that is fun, WORKS and draws people in. It is really so simple and yet so many devs miss this tiny but ever so crucial point.

On a somewhat related note - from reading Brad"s posts I see a lot of excuses but really not much in the way of apology. A little "hey guys I"m sorry we fucked this up so badly, but thanks for your patronage" would probably be appreciated by the new investors of VG.
I doubt with the contract he has with the company he can really say something like sorry I was pressured to release the game premature to what was expected and planned. Granted it sure would have some forum trolls and haters vindicated yes?

On the top part I just dont think its realistic to ever expect a MMO to take the mass subs and addiction WoW has especially with more and more games coming to the forefront.

Very unrealistic thinking and someday it maybe proved wrong but I think we are VERY VERY FAR from it.

MetalNeo_foh

shitlord
Sithro said:
I have to wonder WHY they don"t have lore in the game. The old Vanguard website was loaded with well written lore.

Wtf happened?
Some issues for sure are the fact that as many dungeons as there is to hit at certain levels. The game world is populated with players in that your only going to hit a select few.

Heck I thought VG was a mild ghosttown until I hit 3 rivers and the mass KE group area.

Of course the spider cave north of VE is much easier gear and then Ach is ok too if you can get by the tediusness of the first 2 quests.

To add to this I still havent been able to build a group to finish the Grugrethor Dungeon which very much pains me.