Why all the nerd rage against Vanguard

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Title says it all. There has been so much vitriol against Vanguard. It is like when some products get launched with a ton of hype, but the opposite. I have never seen an MMO launched with so much negative-hype. Lately many people on these boards have stated that they hate VG because they want it to bring them back to the glory days. I am not sure if that comparison will ever make sense. Eq1 was my first game, and while I have fond memories of being in a virtual world for the first time, I have since then played just about every MMO launched, and have become a jaded gamer. The n00b sense of wonder is never going to come back, so why look for it? Its like the song by Sade called "It"s Never as Good as the First Time." But it seems like many want it to be like that Madonna song called "Touched for the Very First Time." That"s not going to happen again.

This game is nowhere near as bad as many people on this board are saying. To me, it has a very Velious like feel to it. Alot of the old mechanics in Eq1 (like kiting but with more risk) are back in VG. The gameplay seems a bit more free than we are getting in other MMO"s (like Eq2). The classes are fresh, and we are either seeing new classes or new takes on classes.

The only two things I don"t like about this game are TLC and performance. TLC is self-explanatory. As far as performance goes, it was so bad in beta that I deleted my VG off of my hard drive. With a medium level comp (3200 Athlon, ATI 9950 graphics card and 1 gig ram) I was only getting a pathetic 5 fps. However, since launch, I decided to give VG a second try. I added a gig of ram and put an NVIDIA 7800 GS OC, and am getting 25 to 30 fps with the graphics reso on the highest setting and the display set to balanced (and this is while fighting in the city). My new rig is hardly state of the art, but is running VG fine. I played for four hours last night with no probs until midnight where the server started glitching. Assuming they fix this, I think VG will be fine.

I started playing VG with very low expectations for it, other than I could add it to my Station Access and play it with Eq2 (and I planned on adding the DC MMO and other upcoming MMOs for a flat fee). The posters on this board lowered my expectations on the game with their rants on how VG sucked. I am finding this game to be much better than they said, and am wondering how many others of you think that VG has been better than the poor word of mouth it received throughout beta.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Vanguard sucks.

I think this is actually the first post I"ve ever made in a Vanguard thread.

DeLLyz_foh

shitlord
I think its more because this is made to be a big name MMO game like WOW and unlike WOW it just didn"t appeal to everyone. So you got a lot of haters and then a good amount of people who like it.

But I agree people are stupid.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Welcome to the FoH boards.

Even WoW got flamed to hell and back.

Morderick_foh

shitlord
Because a bunch of 3-4 scrotum heads have infiltrated every single VG thread there was, posting their hate every 2 posts for months.

The game is awesome, it"s much better than those post made them sound like.

It has far more potential than WoW ever had/has.

The animations are fine, the world is huge, there is content, the classes are fun, the dungeons rules and are freaking big.

It had a decent launch and the game will become so much better with time.

Screw all the turds.

Jovec

?
Lyrical said:
I am finding this game to be much better than they said, and am wondering how many others of you think that VG has been better than the poor word of mouth it received throughout beta.
My main issue is that Sigil seemed to do more on Vanguard in the last 3 months then in the entire 4 years, 9 months combined (or however long). The game was mismanaged in the sense that they wasted years of development time due to being unable to design interesting and fun core game mechanics, feature creep, and in determining what kind of MMO gamers wanted (these days). The last bit I can absolve them of somewhat since I believe WoW"s success caught nearly all of us by surprise, but it still cost them precious time as they switched to a more accessable game style.

Vanguard, in the state it is in today, should be entering its first real public beta, and it should have another year of development time for all of the polish and "style" the second most expensive ($40+ million?) MMO game should have. I don"t think there is any reason VG couldn"t have been at the stage it currently is a year ago, so they could have spent the past 12 months paying attention to every little detail instead of trying to finish implementing classes, populating the world, improving code performance and stability, etc.

Ravensign_foh

shitlord
I beta tested it in closed Beta.

There were times when the game seemed like a complete train wreck. People that broke NDA then were truthful in reporting that it was a mess and also different than what the FAQ/Brad had said some of the things would be like.

The game improved alot and found itself in the later stages of beta, and now the released version is just plain better than what people had expected based on what they were looking at.

I don"t know if a conspiracy theory is needed to explain that it improved much faster than expected.

Kedwyn_foh

shitlord
Because sometime between just before WoW released and sometime after all the burger flipping retards here got the idea that a game in the 200k subs area is now considered a failure.

Meantime developers laugh to the bank and life goes on.

Honestly though it wsa fashionable to rag on Vanguard in beta because it was a shitty game at the time. Despite history they did manage to get it MOSTLY turned around and its now actually pretty damn fun. I"m enjoying it and find many similarites to the original EQ. You havent" experienced a dungeon crawl until you get into Vanguard I don"t miss instancing at all right now because the dugenons are so huge you so rarely see another group and when you do there are so many mobs to pull its not an issue.

Dis

Confirmed Male
Morderick said:
Because a bunch of 3-4 scrotum heads have infiltrated every single VG thread there was, posting their hate every 2 posts for months.

The game is awesome, it"s much better than those post made them sound like.

The animations are fine, the world is huge, there is content, the classes are fun, the dungeons rules and are freaking big.

It had a decent launch and the game will become so much better with time.

Screw all the turds.

Because haters must keep balance with the boards from fanbois above.

Jovec

?
kedwyn said:
Because sometime between just before WoW released and sometime after all the burger flipping retards here got the idea that a game in the 200k subs area is now considered a failure.
I generally agree with this, but to be fair, you have to account for a game"s budget. 200k subs for a $5 million MMO is different than 200k subs for a $40+ million MMO (which I believe VG is).

Weritech_foh

shitlord
Lyrical said:
I am finding this game to be much better than they said, and am wondering how many others of you think that VG has been better than the poor word of mouth it received throughout beta.
Looks to me like you explained it yourself.

The only positives you hit on weren"t exactly positive, just...

1.) It"s better than beta.
2.) It runs decently.
3.) It"s like EQ.

That"s great but it"s a crowded market now and that doesn"t add up to much.

Many of us are happy with whatever we are or aren"t playing and see Vanguard as a lateral move at best, more likely a step backwards.

Also, as someone pointed out, people say insightful shit like...

Morderick said:
...which leads to completely predictable results.

Of course, if everyone were content to form and be happy with their own experiences and opinions this board wouldn"t exist.

Kedwyn_foh

shitlord
Jovec said:
I generally agree with this, but to be fair, you have to account for a game"s budget. 200k subs for a $5 million MMO is different than 200k subs for a $40+ million MMO (which I believe VG is).

True and even at the higher numbers are still going to make a shit ton of money.

darksensei_foh

shitlord
There is a large amount of justified VG hate. Yes it is better now, but some of us played since beta 2 and the game at that point was terrible. As it stands the two things that are great are the world (art wise and in scope) and the music. For people where exploration is the number 1 thing, this game is great.

Now for people who enjoy combat there has been major class overhauls within two months of release to try to make some more fun. It has worked in some cases, so it is improving here as well.

The interface sucks, so hopefully that will be fixed by modders.

So unlike the people who are blindly hating it, I for one dislike the game currently but feel in 6 months it will be ready to play and will pick it up over the summer.

Senen_foh

shitlord
Yep, your right no other MMO has changed in the ways VG has in the passed months. Diffrence is you didnt here about it from those games because it wasn"t so highly anticipated so when a hand full of unrealistic people got there hopes dashed on. They came to the forums and spent months trying to bring the game down, funny thing is it didn"t work. Will it have the player base of say WoW doubtfull, Sigil doesn"t have that kind of brand recognition big suprise there. I always find it funny when people point the smoking gun and lay pointless blame all the cock jousting in the world doesn"t change the fact that the game is here now. Completely playable, highly enjoyable by most, great graphics insert "matter of opinion" you like what you like right, hard dungeon content, some of the most diverse classes I"ve seen.

radyvix_foh

shitlord
I would play it. WoW was just so boring and repetitive (find giant yellow !, do X, get Y) by December I just decided to stop playing forever (not to mention that it seriously interfered with "family time").

The only reasons I am not playing Vanguard include the system requirements and the time requirement. I don"t want to go out and essentially buy a new computer just so I can play one game and enjoy it. Nor do I want to waste my time on a new mmo, though it looks like it a very enjoyable game.

I"m envious of all you 15-19 year olds able to while away your high school and college days playing a game of this ginormity.

P.S. Don"t have kids if you like your time.

radyvix said:
I would play it. WoW was just so boring and repetitive (find giant yellow !, do X, get Y) by December I just decided to stop playing forever (not to mention that it seriously interfered with "family time").

The only reasons I am not playing Vanguard include the system requirements and the time requirement. I don"t want to go out and essentially buy a new computer just so I can play one game and enjoy it. Nor do I want to waste my time on a new mmo, though it looks like it a very enjoyable game.

I"m envious of all you 15-19 year olds able to while away your high school and college days playing a game of this ginormity.

P.S. Don"t have kids if you like your time.
Or throw the bitch and her leeches out.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
kedwyn said:

Meantime developers laugh to the bank and life goes on.
do you honestly believe anyone will become rich on a 200k sub game?

Vanguard promised so much, yet held so little, that explains rage =P

Miele_foh

shitlord
I don"t hate it, but I expected a total different game in the combat department, this for me was a bad thing as I enjoy more combat syatems like detailed in the original Vanguard FAQ, slow and stuff.
I"ll try it later maybe, so far I"m quite happy with EQ2 after being quite happy with WoW for 18 months. I"m still waiting for a non-fantasy MMO tho.

I don"t see a single reason to hate a game and hate people who play it, although I like to discuss them and hear other people opinions.
VG since launch is receiving a lot of positive feedback, which means it"s not as bad as it was when I played it in beta and this is a good thing.

I have to admit I read some interesting hate threads on these forums, but I take them as free entertainment.