Why all the nerd rage against Vanguard

r.gun_foh

shitlord
simeon said:
That"s why they have 2 other spheres: Diplomacy and Crafting, that are arguably just as engaging as the adventure sphere.
QFT, I couldn"t get a group yesterday so I started diplomacy... and haven"t been out adventuring since...

Coren_foh

shitlord
"WoW = Lake of Ill Omen->Overthere->Dreadlands->Karnors->Velks on your way to NToV.

Vanguard = dungeons->NToV."

On the other hand though, in WoW I"ve spent maybe a month and a half below the level cap, and 2 years at the level cap. That month and a half was a blast, and at the level cap even more so.

But with that kind of disparity, why make that much of a focus on the lower level part of the game when that"s such a fraction of most of our gaming experience in WoW?

For the last 2 years, WoW to me has = "Dungeon, dungeon, quest, dungeon, raid, dungeon, quest, raid, raid, dungeon, raid"

blahblahblah_foh

shitlord
Sancus said:
I have to admit, it pretty much ensures that I would never touch Vanguard if grouping is that important to levelling.

Dealing with group overhead every time you log in, just to level? I"d honestly consider that to be a frustrating waste of time. It also ensures that it is completely impossible to enjoy the game in short time blocks.
Its really not that bad. Last night I logged in and was messing around solo trying to complete some quests (level 7) and noticed some chick in the same area, grouped with her and ended up having a blast in one of the lower level dungeons. It was quick to form the group and get some common goals/exp/quest finished and split up a hour or so later when I had to go eat.

xmod2_foh

shitlord
Coren said:
For the last 2 years, WoW to me has = "Dungeon, dungeon, quest, dungeon, raid, dungeon, quest, raid, raid, dungeon, raid"
No dude you don"t understand.

VG = SMB3
WoW = Super Princess Peach

* * * (lol tad lol)

I think the nerd rage comes from people thinking Brad was some wondermind game designer god when it turns out he"s just some nerd in a black wolf tshirt. Sure he might be a good DM and everyone thought he created some amazing product with EQ. Then WoW came out and it showed what PROFESSIONAL game designers are capable of. It opened the curtains to reveal Brad"s paper crown and toilet plunger scepter that people who were blinded by EQ couldn"t see.

But xmod2, obviously they are paid so technically they are professional game designers!

Fuck you.

It revealed Brad for what he was, a mediocre game designer who would get laughed off the boards if he was just a normal poster.

EQ was more a product of WHEN it came out than any specific design decisions. I can just imagine Brad sitting in his office all smug about how HE"S THE MAN, BEST MMORPG TEAM IN THE WORLD. Then WoW comes out and Microsoft is like "lol 200k?".

Yeah 200k! Success is only what the designer WANTS out of the game. Horizons is a success because David Bowman wanted it to tank! FOH are the feel good boards of the season!

Choke on a dick.

<3

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
After the 13903rd repetition of the same arguments back and forth, I think my brain just kinda gave up on me and melted.

Ellsworth_foh

shitlord
DickTrickle said:
After the 13903rd repetition of the same arguments back and forth, I think my brain just kinda gave up on me and melted.
Hah.

Did this cause you to switch sides? Or did you melt on the spot, now firmly affixed to your own personal hell?

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Jedite said:
1. Still some slight mob warping, but fixed with simply moving a bit.
2. Elevator bug still existent in DE were if you come down the Elevator you could stop seeing ppl when they get off, but again simple 30second relog and everything back to normal.
3. Not being able to talk in group chat when invited(rare but can happen), simple leave and join the group again.
4. Some broken quests. Have encountered 2 of these, 1 is to kill Drell Blackhand were he spawns but you cant attack him. The other is in Three Rivers Village the continuation of the Choping hands one, were when you try to chop the hands in the 2nd quest it says the Saw you have is only compatible with the first quest.

IMO not huge stuff, just minor things here and there, that obviously will be fixed soon and that are not game breaking.
Here"s the lowdown on the major bugs currently plaguing Vanguard in order of severity (from player viewpoint).

1. Losing Mob LOS when two mobs interact or losing Mob LOS of large mobs in small rooms in dungeons.. Happens particularly on large mobs like the Trees in Ja"Kin Forest. You are unable to target with anything but some AOE spells. This bug causes wipes. Also happens in dungeons. In Tomb of Lord Tsang very easy to lose LOS in the smaller room on the large construct mobs. Again this bug causes wipes even if you are paying attention. Far and away worst bug in the game. Bring a monk or disciple with you into the Tomb and load him with lightbulbs you have been warned.

2. Invisibility bug. Mob will go invisible -- auto attack will work as will AOE. Moving back only works if the person _with_ aggro moves back. This bug can cause wipes -- but only if you"re not paying attention.

3. Group bugs. Elevators. Group chat. Group invite over long distances. Gets annoying. Elevator bugs can cause death or potential wipes -- but usally only if you"re not paying attention.

4. Everything else.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
xmod2 said:
* * * (lol tad lol)
Useful huh ;p Delinates a complete break in thought and prepares the reader for what comes next.

I think the nerd rage comes from people thinking Brad was some wondermind game designer god when it turns out he"s just some nerd in a black wolf tshirt. Sure he might be a good DM and everyone thought he created some amazing product with EQ. Then WoW came out and it showed what PROFESSIONAL game designers are capable of. It opened the curtains to reveal Brad"s paper crown and toilet plunger scepter that people who were blinded by EQ couldn"t see.
Eh. The best thing (and the only thing I miss) about WoW are the BGs which AFAIK were always an afterthought. Vanguard"s PvE is to this point (lvl 22) incomparably better than the equivalent WoW levels and really only comparable to WoW"s endgame instances and content. I"ve spent the last 4-5 days on the Tomb weapons quest lines with my main adventuring group (most of whom I"ve met ingame) and we have all had a blast.

Yeah its buggy as shit compared to WoW but its a lot more fucking interesting.

Anywya GL with TBC and etc.

Edit: You know what, to hell with it. My post was too long. The last part sums it up best.

For every single thing you can think of that someone would like about VG, there"s a reason to hate it. Thus, picky, whiny, arrogant fucks who consider themselves gods of gaming will forgo Vanguard. All the better, I say. Let "em bitch and put it down. The game world is better without them.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Dynalisia said:
I can already see that the new cool thing to do on this board will be loving Vanguard.
The only really cool thing to do on this board is kill yourself. Let"s hope all the cool-kids take note.

kcxiv_foh

shitlord
Dynalisia said:
I can already see that the new cool thing to do on this board will be loving Vanguard.
well, i been on that wagon since the 28th of this month. Game is a fucking blast. i am loving it.

Filthgrinder_foh

shitlord
I think I"m finally starting to reach a point where fantasy mmos with dwarves, elves and humans is starting to take it"s toll. Seems to be fun for a little while then it just gets kind of blah....

where"s my damn all pvp Deadwood style mmo?

vynde_foh

shitlord
Filthgrinder said:
I think I"m finally starting to reach a point where fantasy mmos with dwarves, elves and humans is starting to take it"s toll. Seems to be fun for a little while then it just gets kind of blah....

where"s my damn all pvp Deadwood style mmo?
pre cu swg

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
tad10 said:
Here"s the lowdown on the major bugs currently plaguing Vanguard in order of severity (from player viewpoint).

1. Losing Mob LOS

2. Invisibility bug.

3. Group bugs.

4. Everything else.
Stuck player HP bars are infinitely more annoying.

And can someone explain to me why the XP bar doesnt show the amount needed to level and each mob kill doesn"t give the XP gained. Maybe I"m missing something but I"d sure like to know how much xp per kill I"m getting so I can judge whether that particular grind spot is worthwhile or not.

Cloud9__foh

shitlord
Ossoi said:
Stuck player HP bars are infinitely more annoying.

And can someone explain to me why the XP bar doesnt show the amount needed to level and each mob kill doesn"t give the XP gained. Maybe I"m missing something but I"d sure like to know how much xp per kill I"m getting so I can judge whether that particular grind spot is worthwhile or not.
Wasn"t it said that they dont want to give specific values on things like that? Was the same way with EQ, also you could see your group members health but not their mana.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
There are UI Variables that dont give exacts ,but break out every level to 2000 XP. Therefore, you can get a good idea that way.

I think CoreUI2 uses those variables in an xp bar.