Why all the nerd rage against Vanguard

Daelos

Guarding the guardians
Rayne said:
If you"re right, then thats the most retarded fucking thing i"ve ever heard of. I should be able to create a charcter of ANY class/race/region combination, log in, kill mobs for xp, and at least get vendor shit to sell. Without EVER picking up a quest. Who ever heard of that shit? Completing a quest line before you can get any loot from mobs?

The fucktard that dreamed that shit up should be taken out behind Sigil"s studios, and shot in the fucking head. Multiple times.
I disagree. That particular newbie experience is awesome. Possibly the best in the game.

cockles_foh

shitlord
Rayne said:
I should be able to create a charcter of ANY class/race/region combination, log in, kill mobs for xp, and at least get vendor shit to sell. Without EVER picking up a quest. Who ever heard of that shit? Completing a quest line before you can get any loot from mobs?
Lol, grind much?

You are complaining about what is probably the most fun newbie area in the game, wtg. You must play in first person and never opened your inventory, because you obviously missed the part where you look uber right off the bat.

forge_foh

shitlord
r.gun said:
It"s not a loot penalty, it"s just there is a storyline that those two races follow and as far as I know (I may be wrong) you can"t loot any items before you finish the first questline.
Haha you have to be kidding. Glad I didn"t start one of those pos races since I never do any quests.

Zenyth_foh

shitlord
Rayne said:
If you"re right, then thats the most retarded fucking thing i"ve ever heard of. I should be able to create a charcter of ANY class/race/region combination, log in, kill mobs for xp, and at least get vendor shit to sell. Without EVER picking up a quest. Who ever heard of that shit? Completing a quest line before you can get any loot from mobs?

The fucktard that dreamed that shit up should be taken out behind Sigil"s studios, and shot in the fucking head. Multiple times.
I believe hes referring to those two races intro area.

Basically both races start out in an area far away from their entrance into the game itself. Sort of a mock "newbie island" made just for them. It gives them some background and lore direction in how they start the game...even giving them some choice in how to interpret how their character feels about what happens to them. I wont spoil it for people, but there isnt really any loot to be had off the starting area enemies for either...that and you"re stripped before being plopped down in small starter village.

Their starting line is kinda interesting anyways. Especially since so many of the quests AFTER that island experience have multiple ways to be completed...Typically falling into an "easy way" and a "Smart way", where the smart way rewards the folks willing to explore their surroundings a bit.

But no, Kojani and Half Elves arent locked out of looting for much longer than getting to level 2ish. So unless you"re really going to miss not having vendor trash at level 1 its nothing to worry about.

Rayne_foh

shitlord
Daelos said:
I disagree. That particular newbie experience is awesome. Possibly the best in the game.
A little detail please?

What about it makes it what you claim? And how does it relate to a player just wanting to jump into a toon and kill things expecting to at least find trash loot for thier troubles?

What benefit is there to denying (trash) loot drops to a new player that may simply want to wander off the beaten quest path to farm a little cash?

Its simply the worst idea in MMO history. Ever. Especially when its employed at the very first levels of the game. Effectively eliminating a hugely important hook to the new player experience.

If it is intentional, then its a prime example of what NOT to do in an MMO.

Rayne_foh

shitlord
Zenyth said:
I believe hes referring to those two races intro area.
Not at all. I"m talking about right after that. After being stripped and leaving that island. I didn"t really have an issue with the intro area. I though it was pretty average and on par compared to other MMOs.

Killing 35 mobs for zero loot at the very beginning of the game is simply a piss poor design decision. Most games provide the player usable trash drops that they can use as they work thier way into the quested and purchased items they"ll use a bit later on. Like rusty weapons and worn out armor such as in EQ, WoW, AO, etc. Items that are somewhat commensurate with the areas level range. Not quite junk, but not quite as good as quested/purchased items.

Leaving such highly important hooks like this out of your game, is certainly going to be a major turn-off for many potential subscribers.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Dude, did you talk to a single NPC when you were started? Even one? You have to kill maybe a dozen, two dozen mobs to get to the end of the "newbie island" area you"re on, before you get stripped of all your gear that you started with (you look uber right off the bat, btw), and dropped into the "real" starting town. It should take you no more than 15 minutes, even if you don"t know what you"re doing. Then you can jump right into the mob grinding and e-peen wielding.

I thought that starting area was fucking awesome, because it starts with some fairly interesting lore and has you make a couple RP-oriented choices about what you"re doing (slaughtering innnocents).

In a lot of ways, that starting area reminds me of the intro for FF2.

holymight_foh

shitlord
Rayne said:
A little detail please?

What about it makes it what you claim? And how does it relate to a player just wanting to jump into a toon and kill things expecting to at least find trash loot for thier troubles?

What benefit is there to denying (trash) loot drops to a new player that may simply want to wander off the beaten quest path to farm a little cash?

Its simply the worst idea in MMO history. Ever. Especially when its employed at the very first levels of the game. Effectively eliminating a hugely important hook to the new player experience.

If it is intentional, then its a prime example of what NOT to do in an MMO.
Let me explain things to you in simple terms. You are on an island. You are an officer in the imperial army which is why you have a uniform on. No other starting area gives a level 1 such good equipment. If you want to kill trash mobs and get loot at level 1 like every other MMO you have two options:

- Roll another race
- Swim off the island

If you choose to leave the island without doing the quests you will loose your uniform and you can go about playing like normal. If you do the quests you will see a cool storyline and also loose all your items.

When you get to the other island either through swimming or through doing the quests you will be presented with a series of quests that gives you armor. I am going to assume you will just start grinding right there which is fine.

Of course, not doing the quests will take significantly longer and I really don"t understand why anybody would want to skip that section of the game.

Camerous

Molten Core Raider
omg STFU already. If you can"t even read simple things like what it tells you at the very beginning of your entrance to the world you are too stupid to actually be successful in VG anyway. You remind me of this strip from CAD.

Stupid People

*WHINE WHINE* I have to actually interact with npcs! *CRY CRY* That"s so stupid! *QQ QQ*

Go the fuck on.

Duppin_sl

shitlord
Rayne said:
Leaving such highly important hooks like this out of your game, is certainly going to be a major turn-off for many potential subscribers.
If you don"t think that the Kojan newbie quest sequence is a better "hook" than any rusty weapons you"d normally find, you may be the stupidest person to ever log onto the Internet.

Twobit_sl

shitlord
Duppin said:
If you don"t think that the Kojan newbie quest sequence is a better "hook" than any rusty weapons you"d normally find, you may be the stupidest person to ever log onto the Internet.
While it may be better than "go kill 100 decaying skeletons and fire beetles" that some other game offers, it is far from the best newb experience in any game ever. If people really think this is the best VG has to offer, then I guess some people just have radically different tastes or expectations.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Read his post again. Where did he say it"s the best newb experience ever? All he said was that it"s most likely better than killing a bunch of rats and getting some rat teeth to turn in. And I agree 100%

Rayne_foh

shitlord
Camerous said:
omg STFU already. If you can"t even read simple things like what it tells you at the very beginning of your entrance to the world you are too stupid to actually be successful in VG anyway. You remind me of this strip from CAD.

Stupid People

*WHINE WHINE* I have to actually interact with npcs! *CRY CRY* That"s so stupid! *QQ QQ*

Go the fuck on.
What part of:

I"m talking about right after that. After being stripped and leaving that island.
didn"t you comprehend? If you didn"t understand what I was getting at, you should have asked instead of offering up that witty banter that revealed you as the asshole you apparently are.

holymight said:
If you want to kill trash mobs and get loot at level 1 like every other MMO you have two options:

- Roll another race
- Swim off the island
Thats the issue i"m talking about right there. I did the quests on the island, and was then transported to the next area. I picked up a few quests there, and completed a couple for a new weapon and some armor, then just decided to grind for a bit. Thats what i"m talking about. After 35 kills, nothing dropped. I just logged in a few minutes ago, and its the same thing. Killed about 20 mobs, and not even trash loot.

It almost seems as though "because" I have a couple of unfinished quests, unrelated mobs in the area won"t drop anything. Essentially "forcing" me to clear the quest log. On a positive note, at least they still grant experience, and I was able to level. If this is some sort of unintended bug and really shouldn"t be happening, then thats fine. But if it is intentional for players to be forced into clearing thier quest log in order to just cash/loot farm, then its a poor design decision that should be reconsidered.

Twobit_sl

shitlord
Eomer said:
Read his post again. Where did he say it"s the best newb experience ever? All he said was that it"s most likely better than killing a bunch of rats and getting some rat teeth to turn in. And I agree 100%
Sorry, it was a general comment directed to more than one post on the previous page saying:

Lol, grind much?

You are complaining about what is probably the most fun newbie area in the game, wtg. You must play in first person and never opened your inventory, because you obviously missed the part where you look uber right off the bat.

Guiness_foh

shitlord
Duppin said:
Agreed.

Man I am just blown away at your shit simple perspective regarding this particular twist in a starting quest Rayne.

Personally I wish that all of the other continents has some little nuance like that, as opposed to "let the wack-a-mole to save the kingdom commence"

Vinen

God is dead
Eomer said:
Dude, did you talk to a single NPC when you were started? Even one? You have to kill maybe a dozen, two dozen mobs to get to the end of the "newbie island" area you"re on, before you get stripped of all your gear that you started with (you look uber right off the bat, btw), and dropped into the "real" starting town. It should take you no more than 15 minutes, even if you don"t know what you"re doing. Then you can jump right into the mob grinding and e-peen wielding.

I thought that starting area was fucking awesome, because it starts with some fairly interesting lore and has you make a couple RP-oriented choices about what you"re doing (slaughtering innnocents).

In a lot of ways, that starting area reminds me of the intro for FF2.
I have never played that race... so logging in tonight and just doing the newbie area to see what this sweet shit is about. Sounds like fun.

Rayne_foh

shitlord
Guiness said:
Agreed.

Man I am just blown away at your shit simple perspective regarding this particular twist in a starting quest Rayne.

Personally I wish that all of the other continents has some little nuance like that, as opposed to "let the wack-a-mole to save the kingdom commence"
Thats not what i"m talking about at all. What i"m saying is, players should be left to thier own devices. If you want to wander off the quest path and return to it a bit later, you should be able to without penalty. You shouldn"t be penalised by a lack of loot drops because you choose to step away from questing for a while.

Duppin_sl

shitlord
Rayne said:
Thats not what i"m talking about at all. What i"m saying is, players should be left to thier own devices. If you want to wander off the quest path and return to it a bit later, you should be able to without penalty. You shouldn"t be penalised by a lack of loot drops because you choose to step away from questing for a while.
Uh, it takes like 10 minutes to go through the newbie prologue quests. And you start them the second you log onto the game as one of those races.

GOTTA GET AWAY FROM THAT HORRIBLE QUEST GRIND, yessiree.

Do yourself a favor. Stop posting.

Rayne_foh

shitlord
Duppin said:
Uh, it takes like 10 minutes to go through the newbie prologue quests. And you start them the second you log onto the game as one of those races.

GOTTA GET AWAY FROM THAT HORRIBLE QUEST GRIND, yessiree.

Do yourself a favor. Stop posting.
Ugh... another one. Allow me to show you:

Rayne said:
I did the quests on the island, and was then transported to the next area. I picked up a few quests there, and completed a couple for a new weapon and some armor, then just decided to grind for a bit.
Get it now?